X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock Rifle Sketch

Latest:

Previous:
    So I sketched out a Shock Rifle in blender just as practice. I was basing the proportions on the UT3 shock rifle while trying to give it a classic feel. I planned on doing a paintover not too sure where to take it right now. Any feedback or critique is welcome of course.

Last edited by thatscrawnyki; 10-29-2015, 12:17 AM.
    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

Looks pretty Nice!! I've always wanted to see, the coolant steam exhaust as homage the original ASMD from Unreal. Then again that doesn't kinda make it like an Iron.

Comment

Pretty slick. I like it. I'd say it more closely resembles the original shock than the later iterations.
      Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

Hmm, I get a "particle cannon" vibe out of this, rather than a shock rifle. It's closer to a BFG than what is usually a lean and light Shock Rifle.
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Imo feels too organic, plastic or round. I miss a more agressive look.

Nevertheless great quality of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielito View Post
            Imo feels too organic, plastic or round. I miss a more agressive look.
            +1 (though the quality is fantastic, as it was mentioned before). Wondering what SR would look like if it appear more 'rifle'... I mean, like the assault rifle but with that shock-core-ammo-clip-holder with glowing stuff inside, etc.
            *I'm not telling you that I've translated the last part right (about ammo holder), but at least I tried!

Comment

Okay so I took most every suggestion and tried to implement them In some way shape or form. Still a few things to change, and definitely a lot of things to add. Let me know what you think feedback is priceless afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
                Okay so I took most every suggestion and tried to implement them In some way shape or form. Still a few things to change, and definitely a lot of things to add. Let me know what you think feedback is priceless afterall.
                Wow definitely a nice model. I love that first person view. I am assuming that is a heat shield under the exhaust. It seems a little awkward on the side view of your model. Looks like a pregnant fish
                a.k.a Gunner77

Comment

The perspective view is misleading and shouldn't be taken with this setting, can you enable normal perspective to show it (as in the upper left shot)?
                  S l y .

Comment

I based that pregnant fish piece off of the ut3 version of the gun Its supposed to be a grip, that part is definitely not done lol.
                    Here is a basic paintover of where its headed.
                    Ammo loads in the back Like in UT3 I've tried to combine elements from all versions of the gun though.

@Sly: forgot to turn off ortho on that shot sorry:

Comment

Hehe, I see similarities between your design and mine (didn't get to draw the perspective view yet). Not bad, though I have the feeling that you would have to break the shields up a bit. It gives a nice UT3 touch but that obscures the elements of the other designs apart from the cylinders on the lower part.
                      S l y .

Comment

That's a nice mockup Sly, my model may have turned out nicer if I was going from that lol, Your welcome to add to my concept if you'd like. Really I've just been throwing together forms and working from the proportions of the ut3 shock rifle. I see now some things I need to add though like the top handle that was on the original gun might be good. I need to change the thing at the front of the barrel it looks like a flame thrower nozzle atm. Your welcome to add to my concept if you'd like also.

Comment

Yea, that looks fairly nice. Though as mentioned, after the UC2 Shock Rifle, it's hard to impress me These sort of Shock Rifles always feel more like rifles and less like shock...
                          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Well, they are all a Shock Rifle anyway, no matter what is the main element here, whether shock or rifle.
                            Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                            [...]
                            - We feel that the complicated models of UT3 could be simplified, especially in cases where it would increase visual clarity and communication: [...] UT99s rifle-looking Shock Rifle over UT3s otherworldly alien look [...]
                            Just quoting something Entropy mentioned (so I guess going with the rifle look like I did I seemed to hit their way of thinking - at least I hope so ).

Thanks thatscrawnyki!
                            The handle on my version is in fact both, a handle and a laser pointer, I just didn't visualize the red beam (yet). Maybe you would like to add a laser pointer on top as well? It would be an additional UT2003 reference.
                            And yeah, the tip needs a change. Maybe you could also make the barrel a bit more slim as it stresses the massive look of it even further. Seeing the layout of your shields, I started to wonder what if the Shock Rifle would somewhat deploy, similar to the Flak Cannon in UT3... I also see a potential to add an ammo counter or maybe even a screen (for the zoom instagib guys ) to the gap from upper shield to body facing the player.

I see potential to make your model more dynamic on some parts while still keeping the current looks, maybe I'll make a small paintover to show you what I mean.
                            Last edited by Sly.; 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
                            S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by polyneutron View Post
                              +1 (though the quality is fantastic, as it was mentioned before). Wondering what SR would look like if it appear more 'rifle'... I mean, like the assault rifle but with that shock-core-ammo-clip-holder with glowing stuff inside, etc.
                              *I'm not telling you that I've translated the last part right (about ammo holder), but at least I tried!
                              That's what I did.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/atta...1&d=1401140133
                              Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Working...
                              X