Lightning Gun Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Lightning Gun Design

Thought I would start working on another weapon. I will most likely finish this out like the shock rifle.

Feedback is welcome!

Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
    Thought I would start working on another weapon. I will most likely finish this out like the shock rifle.

Feedback is welcome!

Shapeforms look neat, but colorwise this reminds me of a bumblebee...
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Cool, those look awesome. That bottom one would be great with the bottom canister like the top one.
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I'll take one of each!

I think I said the exact same about the Shock, didn't I. Huh … fancy that.

meta
        Started reading backwards from thread bottom … saw quoted images of LG … said to myself, whoa those are bad ***, I wonder who made … kept scrolling up and felt stupid. FFS I should have known.

/meta

Comment

Shapeforms look neat, but colorwise this reminds me of a bumblebee...
          Is this a bad thing?

That bottom one would be great with the bottom canister like the top one.
          I agree.

Hehe, thanks Veggie_D!

I was exploring number 3 a little -- didn't change the canister yet.

Comment

Number three looks nice, though it is in order for a bit more yellow. Maybe a yellow plate on the side of the scope?

Just a side note, the open barrel design is pretty cool! I would explore it a bit more, and maybe the final copy can have something like a lightning bolt inside.
            Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
            Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
            Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
            --Captain Crit

Comment

I'm not sure about the open barrel, it looks rather delicate. But I love the back half of the weapon. A few things in particular I'd like altered:

The way the handguard is isolating the trigger. I suggest moving the thin yellow part of the handguard to the top so it separates the trigger and make the rest of the handguard thick. (Then paint the thin yellow part black.)

Do you think you could level out the buttplate? The angle is impractical. Take a look at some real stocks to see what I mean. (Same for your Shock Rifle, if it's not too late to change. Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible, but as a shooter, the angled stock bugs me.)

And yeah, my first thought was Bumblebee from Transformers. But keep the vibrant colors, I like them.
              Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

I get what you mean about the open barrel. but at the same time I can see a kick *** animation of electrical energy flowing through as it fires. It would be quite something.

Agreed on the straight stocks

For some reason I'm reminded of District 9. God I loved that lightening gun they had in that. Primarily the devastating damage.

EDIT: This video has better shots of it

If wishes were horses
                Last edited by bcogan; 07-11-2014, 01:42 AM.
                | a.k.a: Barballs | pathnode.com | See ya star side!

Comment

Really liking your designs Gooba! Nice Lightning Gun!

Comment

Wow that's really nice! I like the "sharp" look of it and the open barrel.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I made some of the changes suggested, and some of my own.

Comment

Hey Gooba very nice work! I love this design, I edited your latest concept and removed one of the "nodes" I think four is too long personally, starts looking like the UT3 shock rifle.

An extreme variant edit. Looks a bit silly being this short but I when I think of the Lightning gun, I don't necessary think rifle. But I like the more compact look.

Last edited by Esula; 07-11-2014, 12:06 PM.
                        [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
                        [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

That works too, but I think the length depends on the function of the weapon. If they decide that it will be more of a sniper then I would keep the longer barrel. If they go with a shorter mid/long-ranged weapon then the shorter barrel works.

I think the comparison to the ut3 weapons doesn't really make sense, since they will not be in the the new game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
                            I think the comparison to the ut3 weapons doesn't really make sense, since they will not be in the the new game.
                            You're absolutely right, I just never really fancied the UT3 shock rifle design in the first person perspective. Yeah it looked cool, just felt weird to me and don't really know how to explain why, might just be bias to extremely long weapons or might be a screen space thing or perspective issue.
                            [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
                            [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Ah I see what you mean. I agree that the shock rifle felt a little weird in first person view. The sniper rifle was the same way I think.

I like the shortest view you did, almost has a crossbow silhouette to it, which might be a cool idea.

Another idea that I haven't seen mentioned yet (because it might be crazy?)... what if the lighting gun had to charge for a short time before firing? You would click, wait 0.5 seconds (or however long)
                              while the gun charges, after its charged it fires automatically. It would separate its behavior a little from just being another shock rifle/hitscan, to something that requires a bit more timing.

I will ponder this some more!
                              Last edited by Gooba; 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X