[3D Model] Lightning Gun WiP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[3D Model] Lightning Gun WiP

So I started working on a model based on Gooba's Lightning Gun concept. Not much done yet, I just made some basic shapes with primitives to check out the proportions. I was afraid that the huge barrel might look odd in first person view. Surprisingly, it looks nice and elegant IMO:

I'll be building the high poly model next week, in the meanwhile I'm open to critique and suggestions. Also, I'd like to clarify some areas of the concept art. It seems that I'll have to come up with something for the foregrip area, and I don't quite understand what's going on with the rear side of the scope (the one you should be looking at when aiming).
    ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Nice blockout and good start.
    I had pointed this out with the concept Gooba made, but I think seeing the blockout in 3D makes it a little bit more obvious?
    This is purely my opinion and I think it is a matter of taste :-p but I think it looks a little too slender. I like the overall proportions you have form the side view, but when looking from the FPV, I'm not quite sure. Currently don't have any ideas on how to sort it out though but I wanted to point it out in case someone else sees what I mean.
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Comment

First person looks really cool from this point, can't wait for high poly version

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
        I think it looks a little too slender.
        Well, actually that's what I like about it But you're right, this is probably just a matter of taste.
        My only real concern so far is that the stock and the rear grip look too small compared to the overall length of the weapon:

It seems this guy won't even be able to fit his fingers into the holes.
        ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Good looking model. Just feel its too conventional and safe a design for the lightning gun. I'm assuming the Sniper Rifle will find its way into the game and it is going to look probably like a 50 cal so the lightning gun should counter that and look and just be bizarre and dangerous looking. Something like the totally bonkers super car concepts with strange. I'll dump a few examples to get some creative juices flowing. Or ignore this and carry on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2c6f899c6c2b30bb2904cce421b44115.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	329796

Name:	krasnov-igor-muska-supercar-concept-rendering-003_100201746_h.jpg
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	329797

Name:	Lamborghini-Diamante-concept-2.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	329798

http://hqdesktop.net/wallpapers/l/19...1080_52920.jpg
          sorry, could attach this one.

Comment

Thanks for doing this Aberiu.
            LG > SR.

Comment

Not bad. The first person view gives it more of a Target Painter vibe, but then again, the Target Painter always looked more like a laser sniper anyway...
              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

I'm back.
                Was busy making map for UT2004 (which is here, by the way

Started highpoly modeling this week:

Made the stock, applied some basic materials, trying to figure out the foregrip area currently.
                ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

с возвращением! где пропадал? работа просто великолепна. если не обращать на серый цвет, то кажется, что она сделана из реальных материалов. какие крутые текстуры всё-таки. хотел спросить, как ты относишься к этому концепту lg?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Raixs; 09-27-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

It's untextured. I'm afraid you might get banned if you keep talking in Russian here Use PM next time.
                    I saw this concept but I prefer the one I picked. Also, this one is very sketchy, if I was to model it that would be almost like creating a weapon from scratch.
                    ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

There may be banned in another language? Then continue to write for translation in English)). I see that the non-textured, so talking about the fact that the details of how textured the made ​​of this real materials.

Comment

wesome work so far Aliberu! One of my faves of Gooba's LGs being made into a 3d model!

One thought though, what if the sides of the gun were bulked up a bit? Jayopus posted a picture showing what I mean:
                        Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                        Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                        Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                        --Captain Crit

Comment

I might make it a bit wider once the overall shape is more defined, but I'm against changing the shape of the middle section. It breaks the flow of the gun, makes it look like it's about to fall apart.
                          ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Don't make it fat and wide please! This is an arena FPS where players are dodging, jumping, and moving at fast speeds. Yea it is also "Unreal" but they shouldn't be carrying huge heavy weapons 3/4 the size of their body. We can still convey cool powerful UT weapons without creating overly large unrealistic models. And I think that falls in line with Perna's vision of making the game more modern/believable.

Me personally I would like to see all the weapons slimmed up. Including the minigun/stinger should look more like a futuristic minigun/rifle instead of a side wielding huge gatling gun.

Great job on this model I think it looks terrific already and I hope you finish it cause I think it has a lot of potential.

Also would be nice if you could put a couple small throwbacks to the old model in the weapon somewhere, just so its a little more recognizable to old fans and the nostalgic factor.
                            Last edited by ness 710; 09-28-2014, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Nice, this is my favorite concept of Gooba's
                              Some suggestions - maybe remove the scope? Or at least make it less bulky. In first person view, it feels like it takes up way too much space.
                              Then the handle under the gun feels a bit too small or not far enough out. I think it would look better if you extended it away from the gun a bit more.

And the barrel with the capacitor-looking things looks good in side view, but I feel it's too triangular in first person view. Can we try to have only two supports for those capacitors, so there is one line on the top and one on the bottom? Basically just how it looks from the side view without the parts you can't see. Alternatively, we could make those transistors/capacitors bigger so that they take up more space in the barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X