Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks indeed great for 5 mins work. GJ! Still has very slight bit stretched look but not annoyingly so compared to original and 110 fov but yea it's definitely A LOT more closer to how it should be.
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 01-19-2015, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Some days ago I thought about using materials to accomplish a similar thing to what Mangley suggested, but without currently being able to look at the materials system I don't know exactly how the implementation would be done - I am pretty sure that UDK (UE3) at least lets you set displacement based on distance from camera. Perhaps something like that can be used, but now that I see Mangley's model demonstration, it seems feasible to just code it to load a morph and dial it up proportional to the FOV, that would be a lot easier than altering the whole rendering system...

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Mangley View Post
        So I was mulling over this problem for a bit and I think I came up with a very quick and dirty way of getting view models to emulate lower FOV. I'm sure you probably already have processes like this, but I figured I'd post it anyway:

So I took a weapon model into Blender and set it up with a camera with different FOVs just for a comparison.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11217[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]11218[/ATTACH]

Then I selected the tip of the barrel and used Proportional Editting with a Linear influence across the entire weapon and scaled it along the X and Z axis to 1.8 times the original scale so geometry further away from the camera was being scaled larger than the closer geometry to reverse the influence of FOV. End result is pretty good for about 5 minutes work:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11219[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]11220[/ATTACH]
        The downside to this approach, I'd guess, is you're locking people into one particular viewpoint and so moving the weapon won't be supported. That could be okay for the short term, but if we want to have centered weapons, or to give people the option to move their models around (I have no idea whether this was generally used, but I used it all the time with modded weapons) then this will not work that well.
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Agreed, I think it might be helpful for people just prototyping weapon models in the engine. This technique may be usable with varying FOV if the Y axis of the mesh is scaled in-engine. I'll play around with that tomorrow to see if that'd work. Beyond that it throws up a lot of issues like animations would break the 'illusion' unless the animations carefully deform parts as they move to keep consistent proportions, that's probably more work than it's worth.

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
          Some days ago I thought about using materials to accomplish a similar thing to what Mangley suggested, but without currently being able to look at the materials system I don't know exactly how the implementation would be done - I am pretty sure that UDK (UE3) at least lets you set displacement based on distance from camera. Perhaps something like that can be used, but now that I see Mangley's model demonstration, it seems feasible to just code it to load a morph and dial it up proportional to the FOV, that would be a lot easier than altering the whole rendering system...
          This sounds like it could have potential, I have no idea how feasible it is...

Comment

Ok, i'm stupid that i havent came up with this solution. Just messing around with vertices in shader i guess. Getting actual FOV of camera, target FOV of gun. Reversing perspective projection of camera FOV on model and then setting target FOV. It should work, but this is a bit of math. Should work on all FOVs and with animations properly.
            Unofficial Enforcer Model
            Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

The vertex shading & material tweaks is the tech art trick that I was referring to. It is a little bit above my scope of understanding but I was told that it is a pretty quick job for somebody with a more math capable brain than mine. Once I finish the final Shock Rifle low poly I will hand it off to one of our graphics wizards and they will take a look! Great stuff Mangley!
              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

I think i could do this when my my semester will be over. But this would take me some time as it would most probably require a bit tweaking.
                Unofficial Enforcer Model
                Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

This reply by Tidal Blast has been deleted by _Lynx
                  removing banned member posts

I'm off the grid at the moment, unable to re-install my UT project.
                  I got the missing DLL thing X_x

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
                  Hi guys,

Today was my last day on the Enforcer. We all want to see the Enforcer finished and implemented in the game as soon as possible and, since I'll be busy for a while, we concluded that it was best for me to give my latest files to YemYam. The weapon is in pretty good hands now.
                  I understand your position all-too-well. You've been doing some awesome work: thanks so much for your contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast View Post
                    I'm off the grid at the moment, unable to re-install my UT project.
                    I got the missing DLL thing X_x
                    yeah about that...how can I fix this? I got the same issue as well

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FOV Correction.png
Views:	1
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	334410

For the FOV correction I butchered mAlkAv!An's solution for custom distance based tesselation. Be advised that it will split the geometry on hard normal edges though, so using as few as possible would be advisable. Someone smarter than me will probably be able to make it work without splitting them.

Comment

Awesome, I will give that a try. I'm in the process of chunking up the hi poly a bit and refining on the awesome work Tidal Blast already did. I'll kick renders soon before I start the low poly/unwrap/process. Another simple trick I tried is just doing a non-uniform scale in the weapon blueprint, it helps a bit but you can only do it in small quantities.
                        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

Hello all! I did a little bit of tweaking on the hi poly today before starting on the low poly. Tidal Blast did an amazing job it just needed a few hours of noodling to make it process better and fight some of that FOV distortion. I'm going to try to get this low poly, unwrap, & process & in the game so I can start the animations and will also hand it off for material & fx work. However, I still have time to implement any final comments or crits so get em in quick!

Attached Files
                          Last edited by YemYam; 02-06-2015, 01:10 AM.

Comment

awesome stuff

Comment

Neat on the slide going back. I think it's looking good, not sure where the spent cartridges come out when the slide comes back, but that's for another day. *nod*

Comment

Working...
                              X