Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While it's a noteworthy effort, i have to admit I'm not too fond of the rounded upper part of the chosen model.
    **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
    64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
    READY.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
      I will have to say hi-ban, your criticisms are often very harsh as well, and you seldom offer actual suggestions, more like "THIS IS WRONG. FIX IT."
      At least i always talk without insulting, and i always try to give arguments and explanations for my opinions. When i say "this should be fixed" i carefully explain what is wrong and why. I already explained the issues several times in that thread. Isn't that enough?

you point out assorted issues with the Enforcer that could have been addressed earlier, and also shows absolutely no suggestions to make it better.
      I already provided plenty of feedback and several paintovers with suggestions, as many others did, and you know what? they were all completely ignored.

UT99 design was good, but this isn't 1999. It's 2014. And this is not a remake, but a new game. Gooba's Enforcer was perfect for that.
      Oh well, i didn't know it was a new game! What's the name of that new franchise?

He even tried making the Enforcer a revolver, which was mostly motivated by peoples' interest in a revolver design.
      Yes, he tried a revolver, but it was motivated for only one person's interest. Which is not bad. After all, who else wouldn't ignore the feedback of the community in favour of CP's feedback? I would have done the same as him.

Comment

Good job Gooba!

As far as functionality, it's just a video game, and to quote the poster on my wall. " it's called Unreal because it is."

Comment

I really don't understand why hi-ban is taking so much heat. Isn't his response exactly what Chris was asking for in the first post in this thread? If tweaks need to be made to the gun to make it look better, animate better, etc. shouldn't they still be made? I see no reason why this was split off into a completely different thread when it seems to me like exactly the kind of feedback Chris wanted.

How does the gun articulate? I think hi-ban is right, there are (really very minor) issues with making this exact model articulate its function well. Sure, it doesn't need to be realistic but shouldn't it look like it will work? I think that discussion makes sense here. Pushing into another thread, to me, means that discussion and criticism on the concept they have decided on is not welcome and that anything in that other thread will only be useful if someone happens upon it and makes it into a marketplace content. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Obviously there is a point where Chris can say this is exactly what I want in the game and that's fine, but once it is decided that the concept is right on it will receive no further tweaking? Even if nothing is done about any criticism of the piece I don't see why it can't be stated and/or heard.

Personally I think this is an awesome concept and I love it but I do think there are some small issues that could be fixed and make it look like it will function as expected.
          Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 08-30-2014, 02:57 PM.
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
            I really don't understand why hi-ban is taking so much heat.
            Personally I think this is an awesome concept and I love it but I do think there are some small issues that could be fixed and make it look like it will function as expected.
            Well said.

Imagine if he'd presented his concerns that way.

Comment

Great news! Nice to see your hard work is now official. Good job Gooba.

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
                Well said.

it is understandable that people show emotional reactions and are biased towards having a certain attitude then in their talk. the way epic is guiding this thing is causing many issues and people will feel left behind, yet even unnoticed or whatever. this needs to change asap. it feels like this is the only topic im writing about the last days as this is true on so many topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
                  Well said.

And that really is the point of all the blowback against hi-ban. It isn't that he has found credible issues with the design, but that he has continued to come across as nothing less than a weapons-know-it-all and has used that to try pushing the designs he likes the most, which would be fine if he didn't do it in such a backhanded way. Instead of working to improve any technical inconsistencies with the design internally, he has resorted to attacking the designer's credibility. Critical feedback does not include attacking the artist's capabilities. Personal feedback is not acceptable when it comes to professional art or design. You comment and critique on the styles and techniques used, but not on the artist or designer. Making such comments to the effect of, "Gooba's a good artist but can't paint a weapon correctly," are a backhanded way of giving a compliment to an artist or designer.
                  Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Hi-ban indicated in his thread that "The glowing lights have no sense. Where is the battery to make them work? What is the purpose of them?". How about using them to indicate the amount of ammo in the magazine? For example, full magazine - blue lights, 80% - green lights, 50% - yellow, 20% and less - red.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zenitive View Post
                      Hi-ban indicated in his thread that "The glowing lights have no sense. Where is the battery to make them work? What is the purpose of them?". How about using them to indicate the amount of ammo in the magazine? For example, full magazine - blue lights, 80% - green lights, 50% - yellow, 20% and less - red.

this is actually cool

Comment

I'm against the use of different colors for the purpose of displaying ammo. First of all, functionality-wise I don't think the Enforcer should have a clip-size, so displaying a different color would essentially never happen in game. Second, it disrupts the color scheme.
                        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                          I'm against the use of different colors for the purpose of displaying ammo. First of all, functionality-wise I don't think the Enforcer should have a clip-size, so displaying a different color would essentially never happen in game. Second, it disrupts the color scheme.
                          by clip size i think he meant how much ammo you have left. smth like
                          15+ rounds = green
                          10+ = yellow
                          5+ = red

and i dont think it disrupts color scheme, color scheme is based on the entire weapon (combination of green+black/grey)
                          this little light is just a cherry on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                            We could always do the automag thing.

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                            I have to disagree on that. There was no voting, and there were other concepts from Gooba which the people liked as much as this one.
                            Saying that the community did decide is nothing but false.
                            Balls to you! It was the only concept in the entire thread that I thought was worthy. Probably because it looked like a nastier version of Unreal 2's Dispersion Pistol, but I can't be held responsible for my subconscious need for nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
                              I don't think the player will be able to see the battery in first person.
                              not fully, but still
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by duffte View Post
                                it is understandable that people show emotional reactions and are biased towards having a certain attitude then in their talk. the way epic is guiding this thing is causing many issues and people will feel left behind, yet even unnoticed or whatever. this needs to change asap. it feels like this is the only topic im writing about the last days as this is true on so many topics.
                                I don't know how long you've been lurking before you actually joined, if at all, but in the first weeks of development, the community and Epic discussed how much of this would be handled. One of the key decisions was that Epic determines what assets, etc., go into the core game. The decision for each asset, as it is brought to Epic for review and approval, may include input from the community, but it is still fully in Epic's purview to have final say on the matter. I think a wide swath of the community has either forgotten this or are not aware it. Epic has a very small team dedicated to this game, so they are going to rely on the community to help build assets.

My issue with many of the reactions to Chris' decision is that there seems to be some confusion between the terms community and committee. The community is not the committee. The community has the purview of offering up concepts and prototypes for review and approval. The idea that somehow any one person's efforts are wasted if their concept or prototype fails to make the cut to me is foreign. Businesses put out requests for proposals all the time, and award contracts based on best performance or prototype, additionally based on costs. When a winner is chosen does this mean all the other groups wasted their efforts? If all participants initially had equal chances of winning the bid, why would they feel as though their efforts were wasted?
                                Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Working...
                                X