X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rean View Post
    not fully, but still
    You won't be able to see this light in the actual game because the gun be much lower than in that image, the angle will also be different.
    Last edited by Yaiklai; 08-30-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

100% correctness:
      Originally posted by Crotale View Post
      … continued to come across as nothing less than a weapons-know-it-all …
      … used that to try pushing the designs he likes the most …
      … in such a backhanded way …
      … resorted to attacking the designer's credibility …

People notice that stuff.

Epic absolutely notice that stuff.

Doesn't matter who you are, or what you're saying — making arguments that way is the most sure-fire way to expend a ton of energy and fail to get the results you want.

Comment

I really can't believe this forum is actually giving attention to the user hi-ban. Let him be, it'll pass.
        work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

This Enforcer was fiercely enforced on us!!!

This sounded forced, didn't it?

Anyway, may the force be with thee.

Comment

I don't know how long you've been lurking before you actually joined, if at all, but in the first weeks of development, the community and Epic discussed how much of this would be handled. One of the key decisions was that Epic determines what assets, etc., go into the core game. The decision for each asset, as it is brought to Epic for review and approval, may include input from the community, but it is still fully in Epic's purview to have final say on the matter. I think a wide swath of the community has either forgotten this or are not aware it. Epic has a very small team dedicated to this game, so they are going to rely on the community to help build assets.

My issue with many of the reactions to Chris' decision is that there seems to be some confusion between the terms community and committee. The community is not the committee. The community has the purview of offering up concepts and prototypes for review and approval. The idea that somehow any one person's efforts are wasted if their concept or prototype fails to make the cut to me is foreign. Businesses put out requests for proposals all the time, and award contracts based on best performance or prototype, additionally based on costs. When a winner is chosen does this mean all the other groups wasted their efforts? If all participants initially had equal chances of winning the bid, why would they feel as though their efforts were wasted?
            I don't think the issue is really whether or how Epic accepts concepts. This is a great concept and there is no reason it shouldn't be recognized and made an official asset.

I will be the first person to admit that I don't peruse the art threads as much as I should, so I don't have all that context. However, coming from that perspective it seems strange to almost hide criticism from this thread. If hi-ban is being insane and trying to steal the spotlight, it will be obvious. I get trying to keep this thread focused but that's not really possible in this format. You either open it up for discussion or you lock the thread. Even with the context being provided to me third hand, I still think hi-ban has some legitimate complaints about the design that should be hammered out. As Tidal Blast pointed out, some of his complaints relate to unknowns. Factor his concerns in to solutions.

Ultimately it is Epic's decision, I just think this is yet another area where there is confusion on how feedback should be given most effectively. Is Chris really going to keep track of two threads on this topic? I doubt it (mostly because I wouldn't ) but even if he does that is twice as much to follow than keeping it in one thread. It's just confusing.

(And just to reinforce myself, I LOVE this concept.)

edit: P.S. I'm going to stop muddying up the thread with this now... sorry.
            Last edited by Sir_Brizz; 08-31-2014, 03:40 AM.
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Just to be sure, ban hi-ban from the BUForums. Just to be sure.

No, don't ban hi-ban.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaiklai View Post
                You won't be able to see this light in the actual game because the gun be much lower than in that image, the angle will also be different.
                Actually the player's hand might get in the way. Which leads me to being excited to see this in game and in action, and how the recoil/animations will look!

Comment

Originally posted by HitscanGaem View Post
                  Actually the player's hand might get in the way. Which leads me to being excited to see this in game and in action, and how the recoil/animations will look!
                  You may still get a glance at the light when the gun moves from recoil.

Comment

And that really is the point of all the blowback against hi-ban. It isn't that he has found credible issues with the design, but that he has continued to come across as nothing less than a weapons-know-it-all and has used that to try pushing the designs he likes the most, which would be fine if he didn't do it in such a backhanded way. Instead of working to improve any technical inconsistencies with the design internally, he has resorted to attacking the designer's credibility. Critical feedback does not include attacking the artist's capabilities. Personal feedback is not acceptable when it comes to professional art or design. You comment and critique on the styles and techniques used, but not on the artist or designer. Making such comments to the effect of, "Gooba's a good artist but can't paint a weapon correctly," are a backhanded way of giving a compliment to an artist or designer.
                    Excuse me?

continued to come across as nothing less than a weapons-know-it-all
                    I only stated that I CARE about weapon logic and functionality. Many of the responses i got from randoms were like "**** off, i don't care about functionality". Well, i post my opinions because i care. And yes, i like weapons. Is that so bad?

Instead of working to improve any technical inconsistencies with the design internally, he has resorted to attacking the designer's credibility.
                    Do you know how many different iterations of Gooba's paintovers and frames for animations i did? 68. 12 of those were pics and the rest frames for 5 animations. You still think that i didn't work to improve the designs?

Personal feedback is not acceptable when it comes to professional art or design. You comment and critique on the styles and techniques used, but not on the artist or designer. Making such comments to the effect of, "Gooba's a good artist but can't paint a weapon correctly," are a backhanded way of giving a compliment to an artist or designer.
                    First of all, no one from the community is getting paid for posting pics in the forum. So forget about professional stuff. Second, I never attacked the artist credibility. I critiqued that most of his designs are not functional or practical, or whatever you want to call that. There are plenty of clear examples of that.

Comment

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                      First of all, no one from the community is getting paid for posting pics in the forum. So forget about professional stuff. Second, I never attacked the artist credibility. I critiqued that most of his designs are not functional or practical, or whatever you want to call that. There are plenty of clear examples of that.
                      Being paid =\= professional hi-ban. Professional quality is measured by the quality of the work, not some lump of cash. The second point is best answered with your own words:

"Gooba's gun fail at pretty much all of the basics of a gun"

"it would be impossible to even shoot a single bullet with the pistol in [Gooba's] concept. And if it did, the pistol would explode."

"Did you take a look at one of his Lightning Gun designs? He designed a gun with a scope which has no eyepiece! You saw his Pulse Gun design? He designed a gun with a stock which looked like if it was designed to cut the arm of the user."

"wait, you say the hammer is this?
                      If so, it's the most strange and overcomplicated hammer i've seen in my life."
                      Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                      Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                      Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                      --Captain Crit

Comment

Settle down everyone, the concept is decided, let's just try to make it the best it can be in-game.

@TidalBlast - If you ever need help with the modelling/texturing, just give a shout out, I'd be happy to help out.
                        Looks like you have good proggress for now though, get it done!
                        3d Artist
                        UT Cosmetic Items |
                        UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Phenomenal design. This is exactly how I would imagine a modern day Enforcer, based on the original UT99 design. My only criticism is that it's very close to the Gears of War MX8 Snub design, which makes it seem almost like a rehash. But it's worth noting that the MX8, when I first saw it, looked to be (and may well have been) a intentional throwback to the Enforcer. Also, this choice helps keep that Epic Games signature aesthetic that has clearly been a huge part of the company's success and image. Finally, it reminds me a lot of the 2012 Dredd Lawgiver pistol design, which is a very good thing in my opinion. If only it had "Hi-Ex" secondary ammo to go with that recessed trigger that says to me "high rate of fire"... Hint hint.
                          "Approach each idea like it's a hamburger wrapper. If it gets thrown away, you've got twelve others behind you."
                          - Dave Willis, Co-Creator of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Comment

I don't know how long you've been lurking before you actually joined, if at all, but in the first weeks of development, the community and Epic discussed how much of this would be handled. One of the key decisions was that Epic determines what assets, etc., go into the core game. The decision for each asset, as it is brought to Epic for review and approval, may include input from the community, but it is still fully in Epic's purview to have final say on the matter. I think a wide swath of the community has either forgotten this or are not aware it. Epic has a very small team dedicated to this game, so they are going to rely on the community to help build assets.

My issue with many of the reactions to Chris' decision is that there seems to be some confusion between the terms community and committee. The community is not the committee. The community has the purview of offering up concepts and prototypes for review and approval. The idea that somehow any one person's efforts are wasted if their concept or prototype fails to make the cut to me is foreign. Businesses put out requests for proposals all the time, and award contracts based on best performance or prototype, additionally based on costs. When a winner is chosen does this mean all the other groups wasted their efforts? If all participants initially had equal chances of winning the bid, why would they feel as though their efforts were wasted?
                            hello and thank you!

it feels like you are the first person that ever replied to my posts. i have not been lurking, but i see what is happening and would say this can be improved a lot. i don't think people have too much of a problem with epic picking their favorites tbh. what i wanted to express though is, that it came out of nowhere and there is no schedule, timeframe or something telling you when work has to be finished. this issue leads to threads like this one, heated discussions, but this can easily be changed.

there should be (design) contests for every weapon out there. this will grant the recognition the artists deserve, will make a buzz in the news, artists will do social sharing and this thing is gonna be much bigger and of a higher quality, because more talented people will bring something to the table and inspire each other to go beyond their limits. "your weapon will be in the game" is a much better compensation than money. and if it is not making it you can still finish it and sell it on the marketplace is a good compromise.

this is not even hard to do. chris makes a thread, sets the timelimit, sends out a newsletter, gets in contact with gaming sites and boom.

please let's do it like this. artists need guidance as much as new players. accessibility is very poor right now and nobody knows what is going on in here. "the community" is really small and the quality is also limited to what a handful of people submit in here.

Comment

Really impressed with this. I like it a lot, and reminds me of the UT99 model. Excited to see it finished.

Comment

Contests require resources to manage also. Receiving hundreds or thousands of entries to review can be overwhelming. Furthermore, people who don't know anything about the history of the series come in and try to design things that are way off (which already happens to some degree). Keeping it informal seems best, as people are already coming in via word of mouth as it is and awareness of what is happening here is growing at a more manageable pace.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X