This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychomorph View Post
    This Enforcer was fiercely enforced on us!!!

This sounded forced, didn't it?

Anyway, may the force be with thee.
    "Death warrant – Enforced!"
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
      Being paid =\= professional hi-ban. Professional quality is measured by the quality of the work, not some lump of cash.
      For the 17854th time, drawing QUALITY is NOT what i'm complaining about. I'm complaining about concept TECHNICAL ACCURACY.
      When you draw and try to represent a machine which serves a purpose, you must first think about how it will work and then draw it so it has logic. And then you must make your artistic vision fit into that technical logic.
      For the 17855th time, this has nothing to do with drawing QUALITY. This is about TECHNICAL ACCURACY. If there are technical design flaws, i think we should make him aware so he can fix them. That's what feedback is all about, remember?
      You will never like all the feedback, because there is always negative feedback. But attacking and insulting people for posting negative feedback? And doing so after some of you even posted about how feedback had to be direct and even rude if needed? That is being hypocritical and backhanded, guys.

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
      The second point is best answered with your own words:

"Gooba's gun fail at pretty much all of the basics of a gun"

"it would be impossible to even shoot a single bullet with the pistol in [Gooba's] concept. And if it did, the pistol would explode."

"Did you take a look at one of his Lightning Gun designs? He designed a gun with a scope which has no eyepiece! You saw his Pulse Gun design? He designed a gun with a stock which looked like if it was designed to cut the arm of the user."

"wait, you say the hammer is this?
      If so, it's the most strange and overcomplicated hammer i've seen in my life."
      To the second point, those are some of the clear examples of the lack of concept ACCURACY. Do you want me to translate them to you? Lets see:

"Gooba's gun fail at pretty much all of the basics of a gun" = The concept is TECHNICALLY INACCURATE in many aspects.

"it would be impossible to even shoot a single bullet with the pistol in [Gooba's] concept. And if it did, the pistol would explode." = The concept is TECHNICALLY INACCURATE.

He designed a gun with a scope which has no eyepiece! = The concept is TECHNICALLY INACCURATE.

He designed a gun with a stock which looked like if it was designed to cut the arm of the user. = The concept is ANATOMICALLY INACCURATE and LACKS LOGIC.

If so, it's the most strange and overcomplicated hammer i've seen in my life. = The concept LACKS TECHNICAL LOGIC.

I could explain you AGAIN why each one of those issues is an issue. But i think you will be able to guess why, as some of them are obvious.
      Do you know how many of this issues did he fix? ZERO.

Comment

Uhhh... a community vote between your favourites would have been nice, Epic. I hated that gun the moment I saw it.

My previous comment on it in the other thread was:

"Didn't like the rounded one at all - it looked too futuristic and fancy for what is essentially the simplest and most basic weapon in the game. It also seemed to be lending itself to that UT3-esque greebling and visual over-complication that makes so many my UT3 weapons look hideous and ridiculous (I'm looking at you, UT3 Flak Cannon)." - https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ll=1#post95650

What's the good in having the community do your concept art if you're going to make yourselves the sole arbiter of which things make it into the game? (Aside from, you know, not having to hire concept artists, and in some cases having them pay you for the privilege of working for you).

First person to replace it with this gets a cookie:

Last edited by Diode; 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM.
        also known as Humphro

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
          Contests require resources to manage also. Receiving hundreds or thousands of entries to review can be overwhelming. Furthermore, people who don't know anything about the history of the series come in and try to design things that are way off (which already happens to some degree). Keeping it informal seems best, as people are already coming in via word of mouth as it is and awareness of what is happening here is growing at a more manageable pace.
          then forget about the news and make it a forums contest.

Comment

it was about guidelines that an artist needs, a schedule that would organize everything and a timeframe sets a limit to it.

still the ut community is bigger than this. most people might not even have heard about the game. news are good pr also.
            Last edited by duffte; 08-31-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diode View Post
              Uhhh... a community vote between your favourites would have been nice, Epic. I hated that gun the moment I saw it.

"Didn't like the rounded one at all - it looked too futuristic and fancy for what is essentially the simplest and most basic weapon in the game. It also seemed to be lending itself to that UT3-esque greebling and visual over-complication that makes so many my UT3 weapons look hideous and ridiculous (I'm looking at you, UT3 Flak Cannon)." - https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ll=1#post95650

What's the good in having the community do your concept art if you're going to make yourselves the sole arbiter of which things make it into the game? (Aside from, you know, not having to hire concept artists, and in some cases having them pay you for the privilege of working for you).

Second This^
              Exactly my thoughts.
              **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
              64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
              READY.

Comment

You know what though guys, most games we have no say at all. That design was popular, and if that were not true then two separate people would not have begun modeling it at the same time independently of each other. There will always be disagreement.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

great design gooba, i'm glad it looks like the real deal enforcer

not too spacy, just right.
                  congratz!
                  BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                  DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

I think Gooba deserved that. He really put his best effort in Unreal Tournament concepts, but not just weapons, everything he does. Good Job! Wish you the best in the future! Keep up the good work! UT is growing with you!
                    I love Unreal, and I love art. Being in paradise..

Comment

Originally posted by chris perna View Post
                      i'm going to start posting official threads as we settle on content. I will also be putting up a trello board so that we can all keep track of what needs to get done and who is doing what.

This thread is for the enforcer concept by gooba. The team here at epic feels that he did an excellent job on this and it is a great final design and ready to model.

-chris
                      amazing!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                        For the 17854th time, drawing QUALITY is NOT what i'm complaining about. I'm complaining about concept TECHNICAL ACCURACY.
                        When you draw and try to represent a machine which serves a purpose, you must first think about how it will work and then draw it so it has logic. And then you must make your artistic vision fit into that technical logic.
                        For the 17855th time, this has nothing to do with drawing QUALITY. This is about TECHNICAL ACCURACY. If there are technical design flaws, i think we should make him aware so he can fix them. That's what feedback is all about, remember?
                        You will never like all the feedback, because there is always negative feedback. But attacking and insulting people for posting negative feedback? And doing so after some of you even posted about how feedback had to be direct and even rude if needed? That is being hypocritical and backhanded, guys.
                        Technical Accuracy? It's concept art, not reality! It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense right now, that will be adjusted by the people who do the modeling.

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
                        To the second point, those are some of the clear examples of the lack of concept ACCURACY. Do you want me to translate them to you? Lets see:

"Gooba's gun fail at pretty much all of the basics of a gun" = The concept is TECHNICALLY INACCURATE in many aspects.

"it would be impossible to even shoot a single bullet with the pistol in [Gooba's] concept. And if it did, the pistol would explode." = The concept is TECHNICALLY INACCURATE.

He designed a gun with a scope which has no eyepiece! = The concept is TECHNICALLY INACCURATE.

He designed a gun with a stock which looked like if it was designed to cut the arm of the user. = The concept is ANATOMICALLY INACCURATE and LACKS LOGIC.

If so, it's the most strange and overcomplicated hammer i've seen in my life. = The concept LACKS TECHNICAL LOGIC.

I could explain you AGAIN why each one of those issues is an issue. But i think you will be able to guess why, as some of them are obvious.
                        Do you know how many of this issues did he fix? ZERO.
                        You don't get my point. It's the tone that you say it that is derogatory. You said it in such a way you were not only being negative about the gun at hand, but also the person who made it. While the points you were making were clearly in good faith, the way it came out was anything short of destructive criticism. As it was being taken as destructive criticism, the artist potentially ignored your response altogether. Just goes to show, attitude makes all the difference.
                        Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                        Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                        Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                        --Captain Crit

Comment

Looks plenty functional to me. Of course functionality will logically be brought out more in the 3d model and animations. That's where true weapon functionality resides. Not in 2D art.

#MyWorldIn3D
                          Last edited by Quadj130; 08-31-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Great design gooba, did a great job =D
                            The comunity brazilian liked
                            Unreal Tournament Brasil: https://www.facebook.com/groups/451546138255216/
                            Unreal Tournament Brasil Site: http://utbr.org/
                            Unreal Tournament: http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/
                            Getting started with Unreal Tournament: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Gettin...eal_Tournament

Unreal Tournament Wiki: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Catego...eal_Tournament

My Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Axx0n

Comment

Originally posted by Solei View Post
                              Originally posted by Diode View Post

Second This^
                              Exactly my thoughts.
                              Third this.

Comment

Whats wrong with you people? It was clear from day one how this is going to be handled, and its far from unreasonable. And then again, skins and all cosmetics will be custom, meaning everything can be replaced by anyone to their liking. So practically nothing is "final". Is this really a hard concept to grasp? And people wonder why most don't even post anymore. Disgusting really.-
                                Last edited by Tetsu; 09-04-2014, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X