This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Flak Cannon - V1 COMPLETE

Hey everyone! So my Flak Cannon Has been chosen as the official Flak for the next Unreal Tournament. I'm so awe-struck by the awesome community participation in this project. To show you all how far you've taken this model, I'm going to quickly put together a line of photos that show the complete progress of the work from start to now.

-----
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    -----
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----

-----------original post:

Playing around with a Flak Cannon...

So, I started this as a 'Hell, why not?' piece just to get some hard-surface modelling out of my system. Does anyone like the direction of the concept? Its not anywhere CLOSE to finished, and really, I don't know if it really is worth it. I've had tons of fun modelling what's there so far.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KazeoHin-TechAE; 10-19-2014, 04:03 AM.

Very nice concept! I especially like the rear part of the frame!
    I would change the repetitive patterns in the front.
    1) One side bolt holding the piston (instead of three, make it a bit bigger, place it in the middle).
    2) Two metal plates covering the barrel, one short at the end (as it is), one larger before it (combine the two smaller).

Also your design has the potential to break the ut99 flat pattern and move more towards the 2k4 pattern.
    I would appreciate if you try to rotate and lower the side pistons.
    This will enable you to expose the barrel more.

short illustration coming in a bit...
    lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	330226

Man as I look at it, it really grows on me. It is really impressive!
    Also the length of the rear middle tube can easily work as the magazine.
    This will create a more industrial feel to the design.
    It also makes it more comfortable to "hold" it, without the mag at the bottom.
    Last edited by darksinn3r; 09-01-2014, 05:54 AM.
    Maps:||DM-TournamentGrounds||CTF-TitanGuard||DM-RelentlessMachine||
    Weapons:||Tridium Impaler||

Comment

I like it a lot! can't wait to see the final model.

Comment

Looks brutal as hell, love it. But it could use a "grip" of some sorts. Always bothered me.

Also this maybe?

Comment

Certainly looks very industrial. Perhaps a bit too much, makes it feel busy. Also, the silhouette is pretty identical to that of UT1, and I'd rather it wasn't a straight remake of any of the previous designs.
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

I really like this design. I love that you kept the silhouette of UT99 and I feel this is on the right track. My main criticism with this design is that it's currently grip and triggerless, as far as I can tell. But it is a WIP, so that's fine for now. I feel it looks too much like a gun fashioned out of car parts; even the bars holding the barrel in place look like suspension coil springs. However, the aesthetics make this look like a formidable gun and might be to the liking of many. It has a masculine, "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick ***"-type of look befitting the weapon. I also don't think you should go for a aesthetic akin to the official Enforcer either, given that the lore of previous games stated the Enforcer is produced by Axon Research and the Flak is produced by Trident Defensive. Lastly, even though I don't think it's perfect, the instant I saw this weapon I thought "Yes, that is the Flak cannon." Very much on the right track!
            "Approach each idea like it's a hamburger wrapper. If it gets thrown away, you've got twelve others behind you."
            - Dave Willis, Co-Creator of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
              It looks interesting for a start, but would be cool if everyone could take advantage of the concept arts that concept artists have made, otherwise... what is the point?
              I have yet to like ANY flak cannon design as much as I liked the UT99 design. The 2k design felt -okay- and resembled the original Unreal weapon, but the UT3 version was atrocious. Most of the concepts I see resemble the 2k or UT3 designs... I started this as a personal 'let's have fun' project, so I'm really just following my own flow.

And yes, I'm trying to make this feel like an injection of testosterone in a weapon. It needs to be an equal mix of car parts, power tools and big guns.

The rear part of the weapon is hardly even blocked out, and I may loose the magazine. Fictionally, that magazine design could only hold 3 shells, so loosing it does not really make it more or less functional, as a 'single-shot' design is just as raw and induatrial.

I'll try to take on board the criticisms as best I can, but I will say this my goal is to have the finished product look more like the UT99 version in silhouette than the 2K or original..
              or the veiny claw rubbish that UT3 called a flak cannon.

Comment

You nailed it, this design has so much badassery going on, it really has that industrial/mining-tool look the flak cannon deserves.

What I would suggest, is making the front part a bit larger by extending it bowh up and down (basically making the distance between the edge and the gun-hole's border larger), because it looks a bit small compared to the back.

Also, if you fancy experimenting around..

Had to borrow Darksinn3r's image for it, hope he doesn't mind :P

I'm not sure how it would look at all, or if it would be feasible, but it might be worth a shot.
                Attached Files
                Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Easily the best Flak Cannon concept we've seen so far. The thing that I noticed and really enjoyed was that you had these pistons (?) on the sides of the forward section of the gun that look like they can rise up and depress. I really get a kick out of that part as I think it'd look very cool in game to see steam ejecting as the weapon fired.

My only criticism is that your model is verging on being over-detailed. It almost looks like a Steampunk vision of the Flak Cannon. I think this is particularly an issue with the forward section of the gun on the sides -- There's a definite visual density problem between that section, which is all-detail, and other portions of the gun, which have detail mixed with clean surfaces. For those sides trying to use more flat metal plates, reducing the number of bolts and widgets to balance out the overall design and make it feel more cohesive.

Edit:
                  I also wanted to mention that your design on the clip is a little bit underwhelming as well. I think you need to try to add a little bit more detail to that section of the weapon. I also don't see a grip of any kind, which might be there but the angles don't permit viewing it.
                  Last edited by Wail; 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM.
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Waaay too many details... Ditch the springs, the loose wires and the hyper details around the front-sides. You are clearly skilled in modelling, but I think you really should consider creating some simpler models first to play with the main lines and proportions of the weapon.

Also, I really like that you are taking the industrial angle to the flak cannon, and I think it is one of the weapons that should look the most industrial, but I also think that it needs just a bit of a modern touch - just to keep it from looking too boxy. Industrial yes - but a touch of sleekness is needed. Perhaps all it takes is some slight angles along the length of the weapon, ie. make some of the faces non-parallel to the lengthwize centerline of the weapon.

Comment

What i thought the moment i saw the pics was: "hey! someone removed the metal covers from UT99's flak cannon! and we can see the guts of it"

This said, i must say i loved the amount of detail. I don't think it would fit in UT as it is now, but it's still very interesting as a 3D model.

Comment

dude ... i would like to frag with that flak. its looks amazing!

Comment

Wow, I really like that! It looks a lot like the UT99 Flak because of the flatness of the design. A worthy successor! Best one I've seen so far.

Comment

what i like most about this weapon is, that the flak finally looks badass as it is.
                            but i feel this is most down to the (lack of) color right now. black suits this gun.

Comment

Extremely well done, mate!

Only oddness is that it looks like a motor engine block.

Comment

Working...
                              X