This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PoRRas View Post
    Would be OK without casing, but might explanation solves the issue of stuff going towards the user when the shell explodes.
    On the picture the piston still covers up the the rear opening, so there's no way for the shrapnel to backfire at the user. I've said this before too. How that escapes everyone's sights is beyond me.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

Comment

I think I have just spotted a fatal flaw in this design, which would jeopardise the entire viability of this weapon.

the barrel is rifled

So how will we see the smiley face on the secondary fire, if it's spinning
      Attached Files

Comment

Indeed!!! Great observation!
        In general rifled barrels are used for long distant shots; spinning bullets have a more stable course. UT's flack secondary is a short \ medium distance mode, the course of the shell makes a parabola, so I don't think a spinning shell or a rifled barrel is needed at all.
        Additionally, you cannot have a rifled barrel and primary mode! Shrapnel hits the walls and damages the pattern before go out.

Comment

Guys this has been pointed out long ago. The funniest answer imo was: it just makes the smiley go ROFL!

No seriously I think fur such a huge tube the rifling just looks nice and I dont think we must let the smiley spin thatfor.
          We dont have to be logically critical to the max I'd say.

For the primary fire (shrapnels) I wouldn't mind if they do fly out and spread with a slight tornado spin!

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Originally posted by TheoRiginal View Post
            Guys this has been pointed out long ago. The funniest answer imo was: it just makes the smiley go ROFL!

No seriously I think fur such a huge tube the rifling just looks nice and I dont think we must let the smiley spin thatfor.
            We dont have to be logically critical to the max I'd say.

For the primary fire (shrapnels) I wouldn't mind if they do fly out and spread with a slight tornado spin!
            I've addressed this, as said before. I'm well aware that the laws of physics state that the rifling would create a cripplingly wide spread in primary, as well as making the shell 'spin' in secondary, but the laws of physics be damned. It looks cool.

Comment

It definitely does look cool, can't wait to mash someone with it regardless

The ROFL would be fantastic.

Comment

can you share the progress of this project with us?

Comment

Not that exciting.

Comment

Well, it's something even if it's much for you, I kinda of like seeing these WIP stuff

at which percentage you think you are with the conversion?

Comment

KazeoHin-TechAE it is exciting! I love seeing those WIP stuff as well. For me, not having the skills to do this, it's really cool to see the process.
                      work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Originally posted by piemo View Post
                        Well, it's something even if it's much for you, I kinda of like seeing these WIP stuff

at which percentage you think you are with the conversion?
                        I would say that in total, about %10 through the lowpoly process. I still need to complete the model, UV map, bake normals, edit the material, and do the various tweaks that will be required.

Comment

Didn't think it was that time consuming o.O How long have you been working on this?

Comment

Originally posted by piemo View Post
                            Didn't think it was that time consuming o.O How long have you been working on this?
                            Yeah, this is the real drag part of 3D. The fun, creative part of the process is over: now it's prettyy much good, old-fashioned hard work. Especially with a hard surface mesh that can't simply be de-res'd and cleaned up. Characters and organic style meshes can be sculpted and then use a lower subdivision as a base, whereas hard, mechanical things many times require a complete rebuild of the lopoly. Then, the modelling is only 40% of the job, the rest is UVs, materials, iteration, in-game render testing and whatnot. That's even before we get into things like animation and implementation. It's a LONG process and I have not had a heap of time to devote to this recently, so the process is made yet longer. But fear not! I am aiming to have the model in an in-engine state (so as a shaded static mesh) before the year end. At that point I'll hand off the assets to Epic and they may have it animated internally, or hand it again to a community-sourced animator.

The animation side is something I may try with it, but if I don't get good-looking results quickly, I won't waste development time.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post

Not that exciting.
                              Maybe not exciting but... so many poly's / details, it's incredible !
                              Stevie's corner
                              My UT4 maps
                              Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                                Maybe not exciting but... so many poly's / details, it's incredible !
                                Yeah, I'm splitting the mesh into 'bakable' bits. Trying to do a normal bake on such concave geometry results in a ton of errors. I've experimented with a couple of new bits of software to even figure out where to start. The bulk of the mindwork will be the main 'body' of the weapon, which is more complicated than it seems, with an internal structure and lots if 'connective' parts that can't be separated. Trying to preserve the details while reducing the vert count will be a challenge. But in my initial test bakes I've seen some awesome results. The real fun will be trying to get a decent UV map on this thing. Despite being relatively 'chunky' it has a HUGE texture surface for its volume, so essentially each texel is stretched that little bit more than say, a really simple model.

Anyways, I may have a bit of time coming up to hammer this out a bit more. I'll make sure to keep up guys updated.

Comment

Working...
                                X