Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't your share your file with someone that has the time and skill to accelerate the project or you want to make this just by yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by piemo View Post
      Can't your share your file with someone that has the time and skill to accelerate the project or you want to make this just by yourself?
      I'm of the mind that there is plenty of time to take a stab at this myself, if things start to appear out of my league I'll surely pass the torch for the good of the project as a whole. This game is practically pre-alpha, currently none of the assets are final. If I were to finish this within the month, it would be one of the first assets to be in a 'beta' state. In summary, I'm not rushing this just yet.

Comment

Looking awesome KazeoHin-TechAE. I agree with you, you should not rush it. You have put so much effort into the hi poly you want to make sure the low poly shows off all of that mechy bittle goodness! The only thing I would ensure as you finish the low poly is make sure every part of the weapon that could potentially move is a separate chunk of low poly. That way if you need to nudge geometry around after implementing in game you can do so without (hopefully) having to re do hi, low, unwrap, process for anything - you can do it only on the finished lowpoly.

And yes Piemo, it is a very time consuming process. Modeling in general is very time consuming and things like the low poly and unwrap have to be done with careful consideration and attention to detail. Handing off a model in this stage would not be wise as he knows the model best and only he can do the best job of finishing it.

I know everybody is very eager to make progress and start getting things in game. And yes, we are officially in pre-alpha, which means that there should definitely NOT be any finished assets in the game at this stage. Pre-alpha is when you get placeholder assets into the engine and make sure everything works. You do that before adding finished assets so you have the flexibility for things to change and change quickly. Your main focus is to find the fun, fine tune the gameplay, tackle the bulk of your technical challenges, etc. It is not about finished art, that would only slow our progress further and risk throwing away a lot of awesome art.

Please be understanding of slower than desired progress on these things. If you have never made video games before it is very easy to feel like it is taking way longer than it should. Even if you are a full time professional things still take a lot of time. That is the harsh reality of making video games, it's very difficult and very time consuming, even with a full studio working on it.

We are not a full studio, the UT team is a very small group of people internally at Epic. Even though there is a large amount of passionate people on the forums there is a much smaller group producing assets so it will take a little longer to get out of pre-alpha and into beta. If you are one of those people that has more time and skill available then I suggest you start your own weapon, the more the merrier!
        Last edited by YemYam; 11-18-2014, 03:15 PM.
        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

I wish more people uderstand what You are talking about YemYam... I've seen some post outside this forum like..."oh, half a year passed already, and they didn't do anything!", but it's minority. There is no counterargument that would speak through to thier minds, just unbelievable. It's just about ppl, nobody ever pleased them all, don't bother.

I'm really curious how does the new flak sound fit for upcoming weapon model Is it possible to use finished concept model to make a quick animation for taking a shot? Then use model and sound in video editing program to see how it works together.

//Piemo, I wasn't refering to You, I know what's the difference between trying to speed up the work and complaining about the progress
          Last edited by phoraxx; 11-18-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Maybe I was misunderstood, But I wasn't complaining at all, I was sincerely curious

Comment

Originally posted by phoraxx View Post
              I wish more people uderstand what You are talking about YemYam... I've seen some post outside this forum like..."oh, half a year passed already, and they didn't do anything!", but it's minority. There is no counterargument that would speak through to thier minds, just unbelievable. It's just about ppl, nobody ever pleased them all, don't bother.

I'm really curious how does the new flak sound fit for upcoming weapon model Is it possible to use finished concept model to make a quick animation for taking a shot? Then use model and sound in video editing program to see how it works together.

//Piemo, I wasn't refering to You, I know what's the difference between trying to speed up the work and complaining about the progress
              I am with you there Phoraxx! The Flak sound was made with the model in mind, but there will be a good bit of adjustment in timing once it is animated, same goes for all the sounds. Creating sound takes time as well but I feel not nearly as long as the visual end, so I empathize. Keep up the great work you guys are all doing such a wonderful job!

Comment

Good to know Thx for replying

Comment

Originally posted by piemo View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that there is no casing watsoever. The projectile is also the case. Your drawing is good, but in the left column, everything explodes, because there is a explosive charge inside the projectile.
                  There's most definitely a case, look back at UT99 and upwards. And if that's the case, why on earth do bullets, pellets and even flak shells have cases?
                  The utter lack of physics and an understanding of weaponry is making my brain hurt

Comment

dude, tone honest, who cares.

in this futuristic-gladiator-tournament, where people shoot plasma, lasers and rockets at each others, you are seriously ****** off at the fact that a weapon that is man-operated that shoots 5kg ammunitions, have a casing or not?

ffs, if it's plausible then it's enough.

Comment

KazeoHin-TechAE, I know you are close to finished and everything is looking awesome! If I was to suggest one thing it would be for us to get the current state of your lowpoly in engine before you finalize the lowpoly, unwrap, process, etc. That way you can see the current state of the weapon in engine and figure out any final changes needed before you finalize lowpoly and unwrap. Just a suggestion, you can proceed as you like but I wanted you to know I can help if you decide to. I'm out for a week of vaca but will be glad to help once I get back. PM me if you like.
                      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by MaxCarnage View Post
                        I am with you there Phoraxx! The Flak sound was made with the model in mind, but there will be a good bit of adjustment in timing once it is animated, same goes for all the sounds. Creating sound takes time as well but I feel not nearly as long as the visual end, so I empathize. Keep up the great work you guys are all doing such a wonderful job!
                        So long as the sound itself is consistent with a predetermined length the animation can be sped up or slowed down via key frame and curve adjustments that will be required anyway in finalizing animations to fit the sound. Although it certainly helps with creating the sound to visually and mentally comprehend what is making the noise and why and how. If you don't mind concepting the sounds against the current animation timings in the pre alpha I think you would be ok, but someone more knowledgeable than I should say for certain.

Comment

I think I have a new favorite flak cannon. I love that you can see the smiley on the inside of the weapon.

Please don't rush anything, relax and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                            KazeoHin-TechAE, I know you are close to finished and everything is looking awesome! If I was to suggest one thing it would be for us to get the current state of your lowpoly in engine before you finalize the lowpoly, unwrap, process, etc. That way you can see the current state of the weapon in engine and figure out any final changes needed before you finalize lowpoly and unwrap. Just a suggestion, you can proceed as you like but I wanted you to know I can help if you decide to. I'm out for a week of vaca but will be glad to help once I get back. PM me if you like.
                            Yeah, my hard surface low poly skills are a but rusty, I've been doing characters for years, this is my first hard surface game model in ages. I'm slowly re-learning my old techniques. If you are happy to spare some time (after you get back from your holidays) maybe we could chat and you could help me out with some modern techniques!

Comment

Man, I can't wait to test your flak in the game. We have now 3 new weapons in the game ( i'm counting sigma's rl as well ) and having yours as well would be amazing! .

Comment

Kind of a psuedo update:

Yes, Its been a long time without any news: I'm going through a bit of a transition at my job (new position) and the holidays are just generally busy. I have not had the time I would like to work on this beast. Things are slowing down a bit now, and I'm hoping to put more regular sessions in. I've got a decent chunk of time off, but it's impossible to say if I'll be able to work on the Flak for much of it: those who know me understand that my life is genuinely hectic. regardless of all that: this weapon WILL BE COMPLETED.

Comment

Working...
                                X