This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
    What software do you use to bake it? I'm wondering because last time I tried baking for UE4 when I was working on my Pulse Gun model I couldn't avoid minor mismatched tangent space issues.
    I would suggest Handplane. This is the first model I've used with it, and boy does it make a difference.

http://www.handplane3d.com

You still need to bake object-space maps in other programs, like Xnormal, but adding handplane to the process eliminates 90% of tangent space/triangulation nonsense.

Comment

Last time I checked it didn't support UE4. Anyway, I guess I'll just wait and see how you solve those issues, since you're far ahead of me with your model.
      ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

What we recommend for normals is Xnormal. One of our tech artists got the developers to send us the exact code they use to calculate the normals and we have an import setting to match that exact code interpretation. Autodesk could not tell us how they calculated their normals so we cannot guarantee best results in Max or Maya.

I know that Modo was working on getting their processing stuff in-line with the method we use but not sure of the progress. Not sure of full official Handplane compatibility but it looks like some polycounters got it to work with Vertex Toolkit 2.4 for Modo?.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showt...116899&page=16

I process my normals and a few other maps in Xnormal. I still process my RGB and material breakout masks in Max and it works pretty well.

The bake tests are looking awesome, very clean results. I will email our tech artists list and get more info on Handplane and the Vertex Toolkit!
        Last edited by YemYam; 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM.
        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

From one of our artists, I'll let you know as more people chime in:

Warren says:

"My current work flow is to bake an object space normal map in MODO and use XNormal to convert it into tangent space. That works reliably for me in UE4.

Within MODO, I use Farfarer's vertex toolkit to get the smoothing set up on the low poly before baking/export.

I don't think Handplane supports UE4 yet which is annoying."
          Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
          Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

it's incredible how little i understood from your 2 last replies lol

3d artists: how do you even work?!?

Comment

It's an other world XD
              But if it can bring us flak cannon idc :P

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                From one of our artists, I'll let you know as more people chime in:

Warren says:

"My current work flow is to bake an object space normal map in MODO and use XNormal to convert it into tangent space. That works reliably for me in UE4.

Within MODO, I use Farfarer's vertex toolkit to get the smoothing set up on the low poly before baking/export.

I don't think Handplane supports UE4 yet which is annoying."
                Oh, awesome! I'll do UE4 test-runs to experiment with tangent normals once the model gets closer to the 'full bake' phase.

Comment

Good stuffs! The more variant bake tests we can do the better, thanks again for all your effort - amazing work! I'll investigate further tomorrow and let ya know what I find out.
                  Last edited by YemYam; 01-25-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

XNormal is my preferred bake tool right now for most maps as well. I can send you a link to an in depth video explaining all of xNormal tools and options if you need it but I think it is up on the xNormal website.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                      This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

:::wipes forehead::: Not done, this is just a test run of the incomplete geometry...

But I'm seeing maya's interface when I close my eyes.... need sleep...
                      Soo cool!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sigmafie View Post
                        XNormal is my preferred bake tool right now for most maps as well. I can send you a link to an in depth video explaining all of xNormal tools and options if you need it but I think it is up on the xNormal website.
                        Yeah, I'm using Xnormal right now, and it produces good results quickly.

A quick update: I spent the good part of yesterday finishing up the UVs for the Flak, and it is now fully unwrapped. I'm working now on hand-editing in Photoshop the object-space normal map baked from the high poly, and the results of this are slowly becoming awesome. I'm on my phone now at work, so I can't show you what I've got, and it wouldn't be that exciting anyway, but rest assured: this thing is nearing the final stages.

Comment

and the results of this are slowly becoming awesome
                          Thanks a ton for your hard work on this!
                          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                            Thanks a ton for your hard work on this!
                            No, Thank YOU guys for being the awesome community you are. This thread is the shining example of people coming together. I could not have done this without the UT die-hards cheering me on, suggesting new tips, and also giving me the stern 'talk'n to' when I was going off-track.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Another quick test of non-final normal maps. I'm going through and touching up the OS Normal map in photoshop, making sure edges are sharp, getting rid of baking overshoots and distortion. This is finally coming together.

Comment

Wow, excellent work

Stevie's corner
                              My UT4 maps
                              Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Very impressive test bakes there.
                                I am curious what your tri/vert count is like. Have you done any test imports into the game yet to see what that looks like?

Nice work sir.
                                MyArtstation
                                @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                                X