Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All a matter of perspective dadapotok, that one isn't "classic" to most people who played UT99 first or even UT2003/4. I would go so far as to say it strays furthest of all the designs from the original, which is the only one which deserves to be called classic. The new Flak is very true to the original.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I just wanted to ask the public's opinion on something.

When I designed the Flak, I had made the shell casing a more brass/copper material, In game the shell is sort of a generic metal.

How do you guys like this look for the flak?

And to Epic: is there a reason the shill can't be this material, or is it an artistic choice? I'm content either way.

Personally, I prefer the brass look to the shell, BUT I can understand that this is my opinion entirely, in the end its up to Perna and the vision he has. .

Comment

I'd like to see what the brass shell looks like, also isn't the Flak-U smiley also not yet on the front of the shell? At least on the weapon model itself...

Comment

It's there just slightly changed:
          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
            I just wanted to ask the public's opinion on something.

When I designed the Flak, I had made the shell casing a more brass/copper material, In game the shell is sort of a generic metal.

How do you guys like this look for the flak?

And to Epic: is there a reason the shill can't be this material, or is it an artistic choice? I'm content either way.

Personally, I prefer the brass look to the shell, BUT I can understand that this is my opinion entirely, in the end its up to Perna and the vision he has.

I think this probably has to do with making the material more modular, and material settings that may need more refinement -- At least in my mind, brass has a particular color profile and I can't imagine what green or pink brass would look like.
            I tried for awhile to get the material to look less yellow and more of a rich orange / brass look for the Rebel Flak variant that I did, but at least with the current material setup it wasn't possible just with simple parameter values.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
              It's there just slightly changed:
              It's on the projectile, it's not on the weapon model...

Attached Files

Comment

yes so musst the flak shell in the weapon
                Attached Files

Comment

Yea, I think the shell was just accidentally missed when textured. There was a mad rush to get a ton of things done for the GDC build so that must have slipped through the cracks. Also, I did only modify the flak smiley on the projectile itself, it never leaves the rigged model it's just slight of hand but we can definitely get them synced better.

We are playing a lot with the fov and placement on all the weapons as well as implementing our first person animated hands so animations will have to be redone and I will try to get the shell anim better articulated and more visible. We'll also get the texture cleaned up and shell textured properly.

Lastly, we are experimenting a lot with custom weapon skins and figuring out how to implement so people will soon have many choices for how they want their weapon colorized & textured! My biggest goal is to get more new weapons in the game then I will backtrack and give the older ones a refresh so I appreciate your patience!
                  Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                  Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                  Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Maybe flak slightly shorter size, heavier, has 3 hydraulic springs, 1 large on the right and 2 smaller on the left, asymmetric views. On top of the mineral feeder, 1 mineral rolls from right-top to left-bottom, or 3-4 visible minerals on line. Something like so

Comment

That's an awesome concept! I like the asymmetrical look.

Comment

A question to Kazeo! You obviously have skills to model a weapon, wonder why you haven't picked a new one to mesh? Like the bio riffle or the minigun.
                        work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
                          A question to Kazeo! You obviously have skills to model a weapon, wonder why you haven't picked a new one to mesh? Like the bio riffle or the minigun.
                          Hey thanks! The Flak was actually the first weapon Ive modelled in 7 years, so I guess it was kind of a fluke that it became so popular! That said, I've got some cool ideas for an Impact Hammer that I'd like to flesh out, but in truth the weapon subforum is in no shortage of tallent. I'd like to see other parts of the game art get the same community attention as the weapons have. That's why I've put a bit of my time into cosmetics and characters.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                            Hey thanks! The Flak was actually the first weapon Ive modelled in 7 years, so I guess it was kind of a fluke that it became so popular! That said, I've got some cool ideas for an Impact Hammer that I'd like to flesh out, but in truth the weapon subforum is in no shortage of tallent. I'd like to see other parts of the game art get the same community attention as the weapons have. That's why I've put a bit of my time into cosmetics and characters.
                            An honorable choice imo. Characters are really the next big thing to launch. Still no full community made character yet, and defining the designs for these is really tough. Nice of you to try to open the way for others
                            RASTE IN PEACE !
                            Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                            Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

It is a good choice indeed. 7 years without modeling? ****, it was so good when you first posted it.

Anyway, when the official weapons are all picked, people will pick up other things. The community saw that if they made weapons, they could make them official. Next step will probably be the characters. Just need the first user to turn some character official and the trend will move on Shame there isn't a Meshes and vehicles art thread, where people would just make HQ Meshes and share them. It would be huge too.
                              work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

No no, I was modelling for those seven years, just not weapons or hardsurfaces. Mostly my demons and other small projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X