The Unofficial Enforcer Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] The Unofficial Enforcer Model

Few days ago i modelled base of the unofficial enforcer concept which also seemed to gained some popularity among community members.

I personally like it for its simplier, more realistic designs. It has more harsh militaristic / cyberpunk vibe, simmiliar to original UT'99 Enforcer rather than high s-f / sport / toy design of official one.

Anyway... I made base model with some basic details. And i'm waiting for some feedback considering proportions, mistakes i could made etc before i get into smoothing and adding minor details. Also signs of interest in finishing model would be highly appreciated as i'm making this model for other people.

Screens (Last one is FPP with FOV 90)

PS. I aslo want to apologize Chris Perna. I don't want to start enforcer shizm
    Attached Files
    Unofficial Enforcer Model
    Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Me likes where this is going. To be completely honest, It'd be nice to see more work put on this model in order to decide which one works the best, if the official or this one: The more I look at it the more I can't shake the feeling of the original one looking more of an art exercise (although a good one at that) than an actual weapon.

Comment

The proportions are very good. Overall i like the direction it's going, although i think the handguard in the concept could be tweaked to look better.

Comment

I always thought that doing here new Unreal Tournament on a new engine. But I can not understand why all so want to turn it into Unreal Tournament 99? Done because it is based on the Unreal Tournament 3, surely this was not enough? Maybe we should come up with a weapon that will exceed the design last part of the game? At this point only one weapon could do this and this Shock Rifle, which makes of Min on concept by Gooba. By referring to is a simple gun with meter, which will still be seen. Even gun Deckard from Blade Runner looks beautiful. It is a pity that no one wants to surpass the design of Unreal Tournament 3, or at least be inspired by them, for there weapons at the moment the most beautiful.

P.S. Fartuess just do not take it as an offense, to continue working. I totally understand how hard it is to make the model in the editor. Just thought I'd throw out what has been accumulated.
        Last edited by Raixs; 09-23-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Wow, very nice! I'll install this from the marketplace even if it doesn't become the official.

Comment

Great design, I definitely prefer the rugged/crude look here over the official one which is a bit too sleek and plasticy for my tastes.

Comment

I love this model, but think it would do better without that hand guard on the grip.

Originally posted by Raixs View Post
              I always thought that doing here new Unreal Tournament on a new engine. But I can not understand why all so want to turn it into Unreal Tournament 99?
              I don't understand the context of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychomorph View Post
                Raixs is russian, and i guess he uses the Google translator (which can be very inaccurate, depending on the language).

Comment

Originally posted by Raixs View Post
                  I always thought that doing here new Unreal Tournament on a new engine. But I can not understand why all so want to turn it into Unreal Tournament 99?
                  Because UT3's graphics style was bad. I don't hate UT3, I actually do like it quiet a bit, but the visual style was just horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                    Few days ago i modelled base of the unofficial enforcer concept which also seemed to gained some popularity among community members.

I personally like it for its simplier, more realistic designs. It has more harsh militaristic / cyberpunk vibe, simmiliar to original UT'99 Enforcer rather than high s-f / sport / toy design of official one.

PS. I aslo want to apologize Chris Perna. I don't want to start enforcer shizm
                    I would not worry about "creating schisms." Everything I've heard from Epic on this is that we want to be able to give players the option to reskin weapons to look like they want. I'm not a fan of dodge jumping in UT but I'd happily create a dodge jump mutator if it would bring more UT2004 fans over into the new UT. The more people we bring into the fold the better for everyone, even if the specific settings they want aren't the core gameplay experience.
                    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Perhaps I will not speak on this subject, given that game brought Epic Games glory come so rarely. But Gears of War came out. In general, would just like to UT, which could surpass the UT 2004, however, judging by the alpha, in terms of mechanics, it will not. Looks and feels just like an accelerated UT 3 multidodges. It is possible that there will be a Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Fallout 3. People just stay at old place, because they like it better.

Originally Posted by Raixs

I understand that the sentence is a bit wrong, but because of my small vocabulary of English, I have to use a translator. Okay, I'll write is that you do not understand in a perfectly correct form:

Я всегда думал, что тут делают новый Unreal Tournament на новом игровом движке. Но я не могу понять, почему все так хотят превратить его в Unreal Tournament 1999?
                      Last edited by Raixs; 09-25-2014, 04:38 AM.

Comment

On the matter of the weapons looking more like the U99's with as few iterations as possible.

Now, I'm a perfect nobody and this is nothing but my personal opinion on the matter, but here goes a TL;DR anyway: Unreal is no doubt my n#1 vidya franchise, with the top game being the first one, Unreal (Gold), closely followed by UT99.
                        I absolutely dig everything about these games, but most of all what really makes it for me it's the Atmosphere, which is created by the combination of all aspects of the game, but especially by:

1- The sound and music
                        2- The Aesthetics

One might boild down the reasoning behind the outdated, yet exotic technologies the player encounters through Na Pali just as a result of the game being outdated itself, but it ain't exactly like that. Take a look a this screen:

This is the Vortex Rikers command deck, and although low poly, you might immediately notice how all the screens are CRT, Cathode Ray TV's instead of flatscreens. This wasn't because of CRTs being the standard back in the day in videogames (think of Deus Ex and System Shock 2, for instance), it was a deliberate design choice: other ships such as the ISV-Kran (hi-tech research vessel), and the alien vessels sport all sort of "kinky" technology such as Holographic and transparent touch screens that are much more common in shi-fi games, but the general rule for HUMAN tech in Unreal was: futuristic and with an exotic spin, yet strikingly normal and practical

The same approach we see in level design went for all the weapons as well, and was brought over to Unreal Tournament when the series shifted it's focus to the multiplayer aspect. Although high-tech and sporting all sorts of glowing fancy beams of doom, the aesthetics have always been very rough and physical and never forced useless:

- The Enforcer was a legit military gun, big, square, sturdy and with no frills
                        - Other than firing blue beams and balls of energy, as a weapon itself was extremely simple: Green body, top handle, flat barrel paying homage to the original ASMD, and an energy core right under it
                        - The Flak Cannon doesn't look as a weapon, but it sure as hell act as one: born as an industrial/mining tool it was brought over to the tournament to shred **** apart. It's tech is so coarse that it cannot leave an impression.
                        - Bio Rifle: push the trigger and hold to load the chamber with toxic sludge, release to propell it. Originally a weapon of fortune in Unreal (a backpack full of goo and a tube) made more portable in UT, which keeps the same idea.

Each design immediatelly recalled the weapon's function, and over the top design was generally avoided, unlike what happened with UT3 and it's complete and utter lack of visual clarity in favour of details and fancy moving parts(Flak cannon and Bio Rifle, anyone?)

It's true that already in UT2003/4 more polygons and details were introduced, yet the same happens everyday in real life with cars and producers manage to not turn them into the Jetson's flying saucer: you add a couple of details and shiny parts here and there to show off the new goodie, but you keep the base and the idea behind the same, or you might end up with... the Homer:

TL;DR: Obstentation os never good
                        Attached Files

Comment

Small update. I'm lazy as hell but i smoothed model. From now i will add small detail and refine some places. Side metal plates look rather weak atm.
                          Also some edges should be smoother than logic dictates to appear on normal map and proper in game model.

Attached Files

Comment

Update:
                            Not sure about back and front. Those part probably would require more detailing.

Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty slick. Only thing I would change is to pull the trigger grip on the top back into rectangular form more (towards the back) so that it does not look like it is oddly shaped when paired with the rest of the weapon (even though you are unlikely to see this in-game) and go ahead and model in some of the missing geometry parts from the concept (green dust covers with the vertical in-lays since you can bake down -- might as well get as much definition as you can). I think both the back and front need some additional detailing. I would reference a Glock pistol for the back detailing and Gooba's paintover of TidalBlast's model for the front as there was some nice lines/ideas there.

Comment

Working...
                              X