Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Translocator

Hey Guys!

I thought I would start off the translocator design process with some disc ideas! I still have a ton of ideas to try out and I hope you guys will participate in this, since I think there is a ton of opportunity that hasn't been explored with this weapon!

Feel free to post any designs you have for the translocator/disc. I hope to hear your ideas and come up with something really cool.

My initial direction of thinking is making the trans very high-tech and holographic in nature. A feeling of being a scientific device rather than a weapon. That's just my initial thoughts though, would love to hear what directions you guys would take it. As for the designs themselves, I was going at it with the idea of the disc deploying after its ready to teleport. Again if you guys have cooler ideas for this I would love to hear em!

Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Does the translocater's projectile self-destruct after teleporting the player? It doesn't remain active.

If so, that might influence the shape of the thing. Though I'm not sure how.

Would it have a beacon of sorts? Should it be highly visible to all players?
    Dueling Flak Cannons
    We see the shells falling
    Together, we die

Comment

I vote for A, and B being repurposed as spider mine. God **** that was a fun weapon to use

Comment

I'm thinking it would make more sense if it was flatter and more frisbee shaped so it could glide through the air for long distances. Or maybe you could add a fan to the center of the first design, kind of like a drone of some sort.

The "legs" of the bottom two designs is a nice idea. Perhaps the functionality could be taken further? The disk in 2K4 had a camera on it that could be viewed remotely. If the disk had legs, the possibility of being able to control it (by "walking" it) from a distance could open up some very interesting gameplay opportunities.
        Last edited by bad_infinite; 11-26-2014, 02:48 AM.

Comment

I like A, however, it doesn't look very aerodynamic. If you could somehow make the border thinner or make it look more like a disk, I think it would be better for the overall look of the Translocator.
          Also known as Nesgee.

Green and Yellow Flag concepts

Comment

Only B looks like something that player is capable of actually spotting during gamelpay - it's all just a flowing fountain of pixels in game. Having a ball that changes shape entirely would really stand out. Other designs? I would not see difference much imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Majki View Post
              Only B looks like something that player is capable of actually spotting during gamelpay - it's all just a flowing fountain of pixels in game. Having a ball that changes shape entirely would really stand out. Other designs? I would not see difference much imo.
              Agree only B, even now in pre-alpha(from UT3?) translocator looks better :F
              and btw all translocators can be used in game, I have idea or suggestion how to use different Meshes, Textures, logo textures on weapons, Projectiles, meshes, textures ofcoz with some standard settings, but what I will have with this, I just assume .. if Epic will use it ?
              Last edited by shoCPL; 11-26-2014, 01:20 PM.
              UT - visionary
              just do it = epic win

Comment

I vote for A, but B & C are great idea too, a bit to complex, so go for A
                Ludwig Dresch - Hard Surface & Environment Artist
                Here is my portfolio : www.ludwigdresch.com

Comment

A - fresh idea, and it was good.
                  B - There will be no gun, shooting discs? And there will be something like a baseball with his hands? It's great.
                  ะก - Spider-mine?

Comment

A is too small I think and C is too large and too tall. B looks pretty good but I'd like to see something that looks less like a spider mine
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

None of these seem like the translocator / translocator disc to me just yet.

However B is totally the spider mines. I can already picture it's new functionality being in ball mode bouncing off surfaces until landing and transforming into a spider mine.

Comment

If I remember correctly the Translocator was originally for evacuating Liandri miners to safety if mines collapsed. So whilst it is certainly high-tech it also needs to feel durable, like a sturdy piece of equipment rather than something very fancy looking. I feel like it should be more in-line with the other mining-equipment derrived weapons like the Impact Hammer and Flak Cannon.

The ring shaped one doesn't read well at all, I can't infer any functionality from it other than it could be a futuristic bracelet or arm / neck restraint. The ball could be from Christopher Nolan's Pokemon trilogy I feel like the ball projectile shape might get confused the flak shells or the bombing run ball. The last one looks like a spaceship escape pod or something, I can see you've tried to integrate the camera into it which is a nice touch. It's good to explore some drastically different designs for the projectile, but I think it's going to be very difficult to find a shape that reads better or as well as a UFO / disc shape. Particularly because it has a bit of a floaty trajectory and speed that isn't dissimilar to something like a Frisbee.

As for articulation / function I wonder if it would be neat if translocator discs could disintegrate / break apart when they are 'cancelled'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                          A is too small I think and C is too large and too tall. B looks pretty good but I'd like to see something that looks less like a spider mine
                          How can you say A is too small without having any scale?
                          Could totally be the usual size of a translocator disc, and even that, UT2k4 was very small without it being a problem.

Don't put too much emphasis on the projectile itself, it will be small, fast and above your heads. The tracer effect when flying and particles when activated or broken on the floor are what players see when they spot a transloc. This is the thing that will require work. (and the launcher, of course)
                          In this regard, A disc has potential with lights on it and projector effect. Just need to make it "work" with a launcher.
                          Last edited by PoRRas; 12-17-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

When I said small, I meant surface area. There is not enough surface area on A for it to be a practical TL disc.
                            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

the inner area could have some sort of holographic energy grid, that would increase its "surface area".

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X