Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choose Your Favorite Weapon Display Values!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choose Your Favorite Weapon Display Values!

There has been a lot of discussion about the FOV distorting weapons & weapons looking small & fragile. There are a few possible solutions but the very first and easiest thing we can do is to modify the weapon display values. The best news is you can modify them yourself!

From my comment in the Shock Rifle thread:

"As far as fixing FOV distortion I was told we have some tech art tricks we can try but none of our tech artists have the time to look at it right now (crunching on other projects). The best thing we should do is try to get them looking as nice as possible with position and scale tweaks then tweak the 1p mesh to compensate further. If that doesn't get us where we need then we will get the tech artists involved. Beyond that we need to get programming support but that waiting line is the longest of them all.

Sooooooo ... we do the best with what we have then try to get more help when we hit the wall. P.S. None of this is Epic "official" info just what I have gathered from being in the war room and informal chats.

If any of the community tech artists, programmers, or blueprint gurus out there have any ideas I would love to hear them!"

This is the area where you all can help if you want to! Because FOV is so sensitive to changes in scale, angle, rotation, position, etc. the hardest part is dialing those numbers in. The good news is accessing those values is super easy!

Here is the blueprint where you modify all of the display values for the enforcer. Note that there is an entry for the LeftMesh (dual enforcer left) and Mesh (main enforcer).

Blueprint'/Game/RestrictedAssets/Weapons/Enforcer/Enforcer.Enforcer'

Here are the values I tweaked to help chunk it up a little:

You can edit the values in the blueprint for any of the weapons. Just go to the corresponding folder and open the blueprint then click on "Defaults" in the upper right. Change the values, save the blueprint then run the editor. Unfortunately you can't see the value changes real time so each time you change the numbers you have to save the blueprint and restart the game.

Of course you can't check those values into our build but you can tweak them to your hearts content on your local client. If you find something you think is better than what is the game currently post a screen shot of it and list (or screenshot) the values that you used in this thread.

IMPORTANT! Also post your screen resolution and the FOV you are running the game at. Aspect ration, resolution & FOV dramatically alter the look of the weapon. This information is critical to assessing your values. Lastly, make sure you take your screen shots in full screen mode (not windowed in the editor).

If you post a screenshot with settings that the community and UT team agrees is better than what is currently used then we will copy those values and get them in the next build for you!

In the future we will have this capability within your game options and it will be much easier to access and modify. For now this is the method we have to use but is a great way to get you all involved. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions!
    Last edited by YemYam; 01-16-2015, 05:06 PM.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

I heard something along the lines of, because the 1st person weapon model appear in the same space as the rest of the level, that they can only be made so long or they'll intersect with the maps geometry. It's probably been thought of, but instead of limilting the lenght or shape of the weapons, would it be possible to make them operate almost as if they were attached to a spring, so that when you go to close to a wall or other piece of geometry, it withdraws gently, simulating your arms pulling it back, but gently releases to default rest position when nothing is stopping it.

I like my long weapons so i am biased towards that, but i have seen it done in some other games, a slight nudge of the weapons backwards when against a wall.

Comment

We actually talked about that this morning Gregori! It is something that is definitely possible we just have to figure out where it lands in the cue as it will take animation and coding support. For now let's just get them looking how we want even if they clip into walls then we will solve the clipping!
      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

Hi YemYam Id just like to say that i wish i could tell you about numbers. When it comes to mathematics my brain is a calculator when it comes to numbers in coding its Chinese to me. Not sure on the percentage of community who are same as me, clueless to programming, Post a few screen shots and i can pick it like that. I trust you guys after all its Epics baby. I just want them to look badass.
        Join the community Facebook page
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Ideally viewmodels would be rendered at a different FOV than the camera's, that's what quite a lot of FPS games do to get around this issue. I'm surprised if that's not already a UE4 feature.

Comment

code187, it's not math at all! Just playing with numbers up and down. If 1.0 is too small, try 1.5. If 10 is too far right try 7.0, etc.

Mangley, it was a UE3 feature and UT3 had split FOV for the player view and the weapons. That's why all the old UT3 models looked ok in UT3 but look all tiny and funky in UT4.

Unfortunately when you gain certain features (and there are a million features gained) with a new version of the engine you loose a few in the process and split FOV's was one of the ones we lost. It doesn't mean UE4 will never have that feature, it just means we don't have it now and probably won't for a while so we have to make do with what we have. You just have to be flexible and creative in your problem solving.

It's what I like to call "the harsh realities of making video games" as I'm sure you know being a dev yourself.
            Last edited by YemYam; 01-16-2015, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
              code187, it's not math at all! Just playing with numbers up and down. If 1.0 is too small, try 1.5. If 10 is too far right try 7.0, etc.
              I dont have the engine im just here with gameplay experience but im sure you will hear about it if its not right ;p
              Join the community Facebook page
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Well the tradeoffs for not having it yet are certainly well worth it! I can't wait until the Flak, Enforcer and Shock are finally in game and all prettied up with PBR.

Comment

Funny, i always thought of the super huge big weapons on the side, it looks kinda strange in a way, that they look like you hold the whole weapon cornering your eyelid. Maybe i'm the only one, but in a few builds the rocket launcher was more down and smaller (i think that was even before it got colored black). At least to my eyes that gave a good sense of "viewing depth".
                  But it's kinda awesome, that it really seems tweakable
                  OS: Arch Linux / Kernel: 4.0.5-1 / Graphics: Nvidia 352.09-1 / Audio: Alsa 1.0.29-1

Comment

hidden weapons.

Comment

Interesting thread i missed ....

Hey YemYam!

Do you think it's a possibility for us to have something ala Quakelive where we can set our own preferences/values according to how we want to have the weapon placed? I mean built in by default in the engine and on-the-fly modifiable.
                      - cg_gunx [-10|10]
                      - cg_guny [-10|10]
                      - cg_gunz [-10|10]

Of course with each x,y,z values settable between acceptable MIN-MAX values. For example, I would like to have it shooting, in order to increase my personal feeling toward the rocket launcher, a bit behind the default value. Boom cg_guny -8.

If each individual could set on the fly, the two first categories shown in your first pictures ("LeftMesh"-"Mesh"), anyone could set everything according to HIS VERY personal tastes. Nothing is more perfect that what YOU decide it to be.
                      So maybe offering to people a way to reach their own understanding of their weapon placement perfection would be better than tryingto find a compromise for them all? Especially for such simple things imo.
                      Last edited by Lwlf; 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM.
                      Official Cod3r Hero: RattleSN4K3!!!
                      Official Weapon Designer Hero: Gooba!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lwlf View Post
                        Hey YemYam!

Do you think it's a possibility for us to have something ala Quakelive where we can set our own preferences/values according to how we want to have the weapon placed? I mean built in by default in the engine and on-the-fly modifiable.
                        - cg_gunx [-10|10]
                        - cg_guny [-10|10]
                        - cg_gunz [-10|10]

Of course with each x,y,z values settable between acceptable MIN-MAX values. For example, I would like to have it shooting, in order to increase my personal feeling toward the rocket launcher, a bit behind the default value. Boom cg_guny -8.
                        I proposed a similar idea a long time ago. One should be able to place the weapons freely on the whole axis from left to right and within acceptable ranges for the depth and high/low dimension. The alignment should follow the crosshair.
                        Also I'd add an advanced option for the size of the gun.

Really hope such "advanced option" will be available within the menu one day, as it is much more pleasent than just left, center, right and hidden.

Comment

That is our hope for the future. For us to be able to do that we have to be able to render the weapons in a second pass and we currently don't have that functionality. We had it in UE3 so hopefully it will be added back to UE4 soon. I definitely want to give players as much control over their weapon display as possible. Everything from hidden weapons to displayed very small - or if you like the single player FPS experience make them take up 40% of the screen.

Comment

That's nice already but you didnt answered clearly about personal weapon placement.
                            Do you think it's utopical to think we could see in a more or less close future the possibility to move in the 3 axis the weapon (weapon hidden or not btw) according to what you know about Epicgames plans regarding this very point?
                            Official Cod3r Hero: RattleSN4K3!!!
                            Official Weapon Designer Hero: Gooba!!!

Comment

Personal weapon placement is not supported at this time. I don't know a specific timeline for that feature being supported.

Comment

Working...
                              X