Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choose Your Favorite Weapon Display Values!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been working on this.
    For reference, these are the current defaults:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

In the process of playing with this, I encountered a couple issues:
    • I tried to a modify these values using blueprint nodes and this causes the viewmodel to disappear and weapon effects to originate from the origin of the map. Or I'm just really bad at using blueprints.
    • The position of the weapon is heavily dependent on the aspect ratio of the screen. At 5:4 the weapon may appear halfway up the screen, while at 21:9 it nearly disappears off the bottom. It makes it impossible to properly place a weapon with multiple aspect ratios in mind. I would assume having an offset based calculated from the screen's aspect ratio would easily accommodate this.

The weapon position changes as the character moves and aims; hopefully those variables are also up for change as well?
    Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately you can only modify those values locally, as soon as you change them locally and they are not in sync with the network build then you will encounter problems. This was more for personal understanding and to submit values to us if you think they could be better.

And yes, the quality of the weapon display is heavily dependent on the aspect ratio as well as the FOV one is running. That was my huge challenge so I just did the best I could averaging with an HD display ratio and 100 FOV. The further your display settings were from those numbers the more messed up the weapons would look. All of this stuff was a quick fix trying to do the best that we could for the GDC build.

We could definitely make some trickery that accommodated for the aspect ratio and fed those values into the positioning so that the weapons were always correctly anchored.

However, the good news is this issue is being elevated on the code side so hopefully in the fairly near future we will have a separate display pass for the weapons like we did in UE3 and UT3. This will enable us to have 100% control over the display of the weapons regardless of what aspect ratio or FOV the user is running at.

So, while we could slap some more duct tape on the current setup I would prefer for us to hold out for the proper solution then go in and fix em all up with absolute values. I will let everybody know as soon as I know!
      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

I know I talk "mabe funny", but can't you guys put a second camera that is not effecting weapons fov? So when you change fov it only effects the first camera, and all the weapons are on second camera and not effect by fov command. I hope it makes sense, cause I have some experiece in Unity 3d, and it was something like that with layering 2 cameras on top of each other?

Comment

Yes, that is what is what we had in UE3 and is hopefully coming back soon to UE4.
          Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
          Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

These were what I worked on before, to see if I could get them further in the corner (less screen space used) and avoid the spaghettification from being at the edge of the screen.
            Probably won't be necessary with the separate display pass.
            Attached Files

Comment

Those look good Dementiurge, I'll be making another position/scale pass in the meantime and will take a look at them in that location.

Comment

The values are
                Code:
                Enforcer
                Position: [22.12, 17.83, -13.4]
                Rotation: [3.4, -1.05, -87.26]
                Scale: [0.37, 0.37, 0.37]

Shock Rifle
                Position: [10.4876, 12.12, -13.6]
                Rotation: [5.97, -1.35, -80.04]
                Scale: [0.38, 0.305, 0.38]

Flak Cannon
                Position: [6.77, 14.64, -17.4]
                Rotation: [5.967, -1.4, -80.45]
                Scale: [0.45, 0.37, 0.45]

Comment

Could someone explain to me how you actually modify these values? Like, what do you do?
                  Last edited by PancakeMaster; 04-20-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X