Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree we could add a lil tech flair to the bullets/bullet trail that would give it a cool vibe. Those are great ideas as they tie together the mesh, materials, fx, sound fx, etc. to give it a unique personality. It makes me happy when people look beyond just the renders and visualize opportunities for the weapon as a whole. I'll definitely pass it along to the team and push for it.

As far as the bolt action being a lil silly on a uber tech gun I also agree. However, we have 36 frames of fire & reload animation that we need to fill and it's a great way to do that. A big part of being in the zone with the sniper is getting in a rhythm with the timing and very prominent animation is essential to that. Once we have fully animated hands I think it will be the perfect opportunity to showcase them.

The way I envision it (or justify it in my brain) is like a modern sports car - most of them are going super techy automatic/paddle shift these days but some people still prefer the tactile feel of driving a manual stick. Any slightly goofy idea can be made super cool if the implementation is done right so it's motivation not a deterrent.

I also really want the LG to become official and see both Aberiu & Jayoplus' LG's get into the game. Unfortunately it's not my call or they would already be official! I think once we get the core weapon set in the game we can focus on the new/alt/experimental weapons. I can't wait!
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

I tried to address this at the concepting stage
      Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
      It's a sport rifle designed specifically for Liandri Tournament. Like any other sport weapon it has it's limitations required by the discipline - in this case it's the partially manual recoil compensating system. Why is it necessary? Because by the year 2300 firearms will improve so much that a fully operational military sniper rifle will dominate the battlefield unless handicapped. The handicapped design has it's pros however: the rifle is extremely lightweight and slightly more powerful than it's fast-firing military counterparts.
      The front part of the weapon protects fragile electronics of the electromagnetic accelerator (/directed gravity device/put whatever you want here) inside from the harsh environment of UT arenas
      Though if you ask me, scope on a weapon made in 2300 looks just as silly as bolt does. When there are geneboosted contestants, cyborgs and artificial intelligence around, anyone should probably be able to aim just by calculating the position and rotation of the weapon in his hand. And zoom is not going to be a problem once you can replace your human eyes with something more efficient.
      ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Hah! I missed that description, describes it perfectly.
        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
          As far as the bolt action being a lil silly on a uber tech gun I also agree. However, we have 36 frames of fire & reload animation that we need to fill and it's a great way to do that. A big part of being in the zone with the sniper is getting in a rhythm with the timing and very prominent animation is essential to that. Once we have fully animated hands I think it will be the perfect opportunity to showcase them.
          Yea, I know that, but I feel like there can be nicer ways to use the time and keep it high-tech. For instance, have the weapon superheat and have a nice cool down/vent animation in that time. Or, if we go with the electric bullet envelope idea, make use of the Lightning Gun concept of charging capacitors. That would also solve the issue of the gun moving too much and distracting from the action/covering up screen space.

It also doesn't feel like Liandri, the people who do household robotics for part of their living and showy TV tournaments for the other part of their living, would include bolt action as a default. For certain participants who request it, sure, but not by default.
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Wait a sec.
            Why should Liandri use a Izanagi sniper rifle? Aren't they rival corporations or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerl Liandri View Post
              Wait a sec.
              Why should Liandri use a Izanagi sniper rifle? Aren't they rival corporations or something like that?
              The sniper rifle fits Liandri style better in any case. But the reason why there are things like Axon weapons is probably because the rival corporations paid a lot of money for their tech to be shown on screen. Like in other sports, it's good for everyone: Liandri gets the money, the other corporations get the advertisement for their tech.
              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by Jerl Liandri View Post
                Wait a sec.
                The tournament is the most popular event in known space. Everyone is probably bidding to be a part of it in some form or another.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                  This might be hard for some people to swallow, but why not just make it hybrid somehow. Like the bullets are propelled by a subtle shock of static electricity, or something like that. You get both the blast of the bullet and the sizzle.
                  It's a good idea. Kind of like a railgun. I think it could definitely work, especially with that blue ammo. I'd like a sci-fi bullet trail anyway.
                  Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                    This might be hard for some people to swallow, but why not just make it hybrid somehow. Like the bullets are propelled by a subtle shock of static electricity, or something like that. You get both the blast of the bullet and the sizzle.
                    Yeah, because that worked a treat for the stinger/minigun didn't it. That kind of compromise will just end up being a compromise in every sense of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by ~SS~ View Post
                      Yeah, because that worked a treat for the stinger/minigun didn't it. That kind of compromise will just end up being a compromise in every sense of the word.
                      Yes, and it is a better compromise than trying to shoehorn a second, nearly identical weapon (LG) into the game. That can be kept as a mod of course, but yes, I am advocating a weapon that is satisfying to use. For those who still wish for some kind of stealth, mods like Zark etc can do whatever they want to change it, as they always do.

Personally I don't see what is wrong with the Stinger or how the analogy even fits, aside from the trail being blue.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I'd rather just see the LG show up as a rare case drop/rare cosmetic replacement for the sniper rifle. Would be cool to have it then 8)

Comment

Jaws' on the ground. This rifle is dope!

Comment

I hate to say it, but I think the sniper animation needs to be changed. I wouldn't put much effort into the bolt sliding animation, because the turn to the side that it does is EXTREMELY distracting. I actually turned on hidden weapon because it was so distracting. I think that you should avoid any sort of rotation to the gun in the firing animation.

Comment

Bolt action rifle with barrel recoil makes no sense. I'm sure most ppl understand but I'll reiterate, bolt action is for pure accuracy. Bolt action snipers have a fixed barrel and one moving part, the bolt. The arrangement provides a stable platform where ALL propellant energy can imparted to the bullet.

Barrel recoil systems are for autoloading, they replace the bolt, but they reduce accuracy to a certain extent. Neither of the two are used in conjunction with each other.

The gun looks nice but the science is off, especially if design is using standard propellant amunition. The use of barrel recoil but requiring a hand reload via a bolt makes no sense and a bit silly. What is the lost muzzle energy used for....

Comment

you probably won't even see or notice the barrel recoil much in the game, since the reload animation changes the view on the rifle so much and it's such a small part of the reload/ready-to-fire animation anyway. All in all I think the barrel recoil is probably a dead end, finalizing it is likely more effort than it is worth

Comment

Working...
                                X