Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Minigun by Invader

Update 14:

Alright, I think I'm settling for these rings. Best of both worlds, imho.

Let's wrap this up and get to retopo and texturing already. I spent way too much time trying to make this perfect. It can only get ruined from here on out anyways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ring#3-front.jpg
Views:	1565
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	398830

Name:	ring#3-1st_person.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	398838

Name:	ring#3-side.jpg
Views:	1857
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	398832

More Renders:

Name:	image_28302.gif
Views:	991
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	395952

ORIGINAL POST:
    Hey there!

So I was hoping we could get something like Kazeohin's Flak Cannon thread started for the minigun, too. Most concepts I've seen so far were... rather weak. I decided I give it a shot myself, so here it is (pictures below)!

The spiral barrel constraints are something I came up with by accident, based on rim spinners on cars.

TODO LIST (OUTDATED!):
    • Need help with gun body, post your concepts and paint-overs! No idea what to do with it.
    • Change spiral barrel constraints?
      • Directly connecting barrels instead (instead of wrapping it around them)
      • Much like rim spinners, they would serve as eye-candy alone, spinning slowly in the opposite direction
    • Add stubby to barrels / other barrel attachment
      • Additional flash suppressor, yes/no?
      • UT3 diamond stubby? (I'd say visible barrel endings look better though)
    • Decorate barrels
      • Triangle shaped cover on barrels?
        [*=left]Browning M1919 style barrel covers?

[*=left]Middle muzzle for alt-fire
      • [*=left] Magnetic rail system?

[*=left]Classic rifled muzzle?
    • Finish air-intakes/cooling system
      • Borderlands-style opening panels (e.g. like the Plasma Caster or when the Link gun opens up during the alt-fire in UT3)?
    • Front handle looks "weak", need better design
      • Place it to 1/4 of the barrel on the front lengthwise? (there will be a skeleton for the barrels)
      • Maybe it just needs decoration? (like rubber grip)
    • Add skeleton over and below barrels (basically the rails)
    • Weights behind back-handle yes/no?
    • Create rifled tyradium cartridges
      • Diamond jacketed huge bullets for alt-fire?
    • Decide on power source design
      • Raw tyradium crystal?
      • Liquified tyradium? Wires?
      • Classic accumulator?
      • Tyradium crystal in GES Bio waste creating some chemical reaction?
      • Turbines!
    • Gun color
      • blue + light grey?
      • green + light grey with yellow+black accents?
      • black with yellow accents?
      • grey (metal minigun)
    • Magazine
      • Visible cartridges on chain?
      • Drum or box mag?
        • Double drum?
      • No magazine?!
      • Magazine part of rear handle!
    • More screws on barrel constraints?
    • Strap to throw around your neck?
    • More barrels? (second circle)
    • Trigger protection yes/no?
      • Keep the joystick back-handle?
    • Gun proportions (e.g. longer barrel?)

Okay, so that's it for now. More to come. I'm excited to recieve your feedback! Most of these, except the barrels (obviously), are placeholders for now. There's a number of visual upgrades prepared for the barrels though. Here are the pictures:

And a quick test for the 1st person view. I for one have my hopes up, because the barrels look just too good.

Attached Files
    Last edited by InVader; 04-02-2018, 05:40 PM.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

I've been busy with real life a bit, as it appears to crumble down before me lately.

Today I will try to finish the cooling system, although I might not manage to add all the decorations. I over-thought the mechanics behind the cooling system a bit. I try to do the model in a way so that it makes sense. I'll upload images later.

Over the weekend I'll be attending the local Con. I might do the diamond jacketed cartridge since I'm excited to do that part and it doesn't require too much work either. Either that, or I'll do some barrel variations I've come up with.
    Last edited by InVader; 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM.
    Check out my work!
    | Localization

Comment

Looks dope. Promising thread!
      work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Update 1

Wow, first update and I'm already late. I ended up reworking these covering panels/hatches like 3 times, because I never was satisfied with them. Here is one piece I'm more-or-less okay with, as far as the shape goes, but I'm still not completely convinced by it.

There will be 3 of them (for every vent). On sustained primary-fire these panels will open. On the inside I plan to place some heat sinks, among other things. The player will see the heat coming from them, maybe even see the heat sinks gloving.

After finishing the little panel, I noticed I placed the vents wrong x) Oh well, I'll fix it later.

Also, I just got a great idea for the magazine. In the center of the body there's going to be a hole (all the way across), where you insert the giant box of ammo. On the left side, you'll be able to see the bullets entering on a belt. This would very well balance out the gun, too, so I might just toss the weights, and maybe use a connected stock!

In addition, In place of the current drum magazine, I can just add another power source. The 2 of them would be interconnected, with a nice big cable leading up into the gun's body. This would allow the gun to be a bit more symmetric.

The coming days I hope I'll be able to get the cooling system right along with the panels and add decorations on the barrels, too. Once finished, I'll upload pictures with the panels opened and closed.

PS.: thanks for the free UE4, having a lot of fun with it!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by InVader; 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM.
        Check out my work!
        | Localization

Comment

Update 1.5

That panel on the cooling system kept bothering me. I tried some more things on this panel and now I can finally say with confidence that I'm satisfied. The screws and the hooks definitively helped fill out that disturbingly empty area that was there before, but didn't turn it into a mess. It's pimped but simple. I like that.

Although, I still might do something around the screws, just for the fun of it. It feels like they shouldn't be just randomly placed there.

For som reason it suddenly reminds me on a spaceship...

EDIT (slightly off topic):
          I was also thinking about a gothic themed weapon. It would be suitable for the rocket launcher, or the minigun, especially now that the alt-fire is basically a stake gun. UT99 didn't have a problem with mixing different styles either (egyptian, medieval, gothic, sci-fi, mayan etc.), e.g. the map DM-Gothic, which was one of my favorites. I also heard somebody is recreating it in UE4. I hope he will be successful.
          Now that UE4 is free, I will finish my aztec/mayan themed map which I originally intended for UT3, but got irrelevant by the time I learned to use UDK.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by InVader; 03-09-2015, 06:51 PM.
          Check out my work!
          | Localization

Comment

Stuff looks good so far, but it's a bit too cheesy. Can we have a pic featuring the whole gun after the update?

Comment

Still alive

Beep! I hope I'm not too late with this.

Okay, so I'm very sorry for working on this for several months. My life got very... complicated lately. Nevertheless, looks like I will be able to devote my attention to this minigun from now on. So here's what I got!

In the meanwhile I finally managed to figure out what the base body shape to look like. Don't worry it won't be so plain. The power sources on the side will also receive some stuff to make them look less out-of-place. As you can see, I got rid of the ridiculous cooling system covering half of the barrlels.

If I'm late with proposing this (whatever this will end up as) as the standard minigun, oh well, I'll submit it as a skin on the marketplace (probably for free).

It's good to be back and it feels like I'll finally get somewhere with this and 3D modeling in general

EDIT:
              Yeah, so looking at the other stinger-minigun posts here, I guess going for the traditional rotating barrels might pay out for me. Someone will definitively want a more minigun looking stinger, so this will probably have some real value on the marketplace.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by InVader; 09-06-2015, 08:01 PM.
              Check out my work!
              | Localization

Comment

My main suggestion would be thinking about breaking up the regularity of the bands that surround the barrels. The effect (currently) looks a bit like candy cane stripes, which is kind of contrary with the idea of making an imposing and deadly weapon. Other than that, glad to see you're able to pursue bringing this to life!
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                  My main suggestion would be thinking about breaking up the regularity of the bands that surround the barrels. The effect (currently) looks a bit like candy cane stripes, which is kind of contrary with the idea of making an imposing and deadly weapon. Other than that, glad to see you're able to pursue bringing this to life!
                  Thanks for the tip! Hmmm... yeah ok, I can see what you mean. I actually intend to have (weak) LED stripes in the center of those bands, which would serve as visual indicator for the secondary fire - lights would run up from the back 'til the muzzle after each fire. When the lights reach the end, the gun is ready to fire again. I guess that would be too cheesy, huh?

Colors will be very similar to this one: http://orig11.deviantart.net/fd01/f/...ze-d5zbsi3.jpg

I have an idea how to make them look more metallic and harsh, but that would also introduce "cuts" (as opposed to the current single continuous shape). It might be exactly what you want.

btw. I'm curious about the barrels. Are the okay the way they are now? I was thinking about making the back end of them wider and maybe changing shape too, make them look more solid, sort of similar to the UT99 minigun (although that would make the bands look slightly out-of-place).
                  Check out my work!
                  | Localization

Comment

Update 3

Yet another idea for the body. I've put the turbine fans inside the body, which you'll be able to see through glasses spinning when you use primary fire. I think I'm going to make the back-side part of the body more round.

I'm also seriously considering removing the generators on the side, which I spent so much time on. Those sharp edges simply don't fit well with the otherwise sleek lines of the body. I think I will somehow include them in the body and the intercoolers would emerge from the sides (kinda like a Porsche 911 Carrera's tail) when the barrels spin up. The turbines in the body can totally replace their "generator" function anyways.

I will also slightly modify the middle barrel and turn it into a magnetic rail system. The magnet will be visible from the outside and will slide along the spiral "candy stripe" constraints on fire.

The thing I put there around the barrels is for balancing out the weapon. "Geomagnetic balancer" same technology space station use for artificial gravity.

The "candy stripe" barrel constraint will be also revamped to fit this purpose, so don't worry

I also tested out a couple of ideas for the front-handle, but I wasn't satisfied with any of those, so I just trashed it altogether.

At this point I'm only worried that the weapon might end up looking more complex than the current "visual clarity" art-direction desires.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by InVader; 09-26-2015, 03:23 PM.
                    Check out my work!
                    | Localization

Comment

On a related note, can anybody tell be how these belts work?

I found pictures almost everywhere, but I couldn't find anything on how exactly these things work. Do these things move along with the bullets and are removed before the feeder? Or are the bullets moving inside them using springs/air pressure?

I just thought of a good way to put a bullet feeder and whatnot in there, so I would like to know how these work.
                      Attached Files
                      Check out my work!
                      | Localization

Comment

Some very interesting modeling and definitely a ton of thought going into the engineering, really cool stuff. The biggest thing I'd like to see is how it looks in first person and how the weapon is held. I think that will answer a lot of questions for you and potentially point out any problem areas with usage/functionality. Keep up the awesome work!
                        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                          Some very interesting modeling and definitely a ton of thought going into the engineering, really cool stuff. The biggest thing I'd like to see is how it looks in first person and how the weapon is held. I think that will answer a lot of questions for you and potentially point out any problem areas with usage/functionality. Keep up the awesome work!
                          Whoa, I'm noticed :O

I keep forgetting to add it. I don't think I will make that handle until I figure out what to do with the body. Rest assured, I was kissed by the muse, so I shall rework the body yet again. Got an idea for the barrels as well. It's pretty simple, yet elegant, so I will try to do it this weekend.

At this point, I don't think I will even try to make a proper looking sci-fi minigun. I came up with a neat idea, but it's not exactly screaming "sci-fi". As much as I admire sci-fi, I simply suck at imagining it.
                          Check out my work!
                          | Localization

Comment

Update 4

Well, by the time I'm done with this, I'll be a mechanical engineer.

Anyways, I am for the most part complete with the inner mechanisms of the minigun. I am not going to go super in-depth with this, as I want the body of my gun to cover a bit more than the stinger on the other thread. I might rework the loading mechanism for the big main barrel though (I already have a cooler idea than this, I just finished this for now, so that I can get on with the body).

That being said, I have yet again trashed my entire body and started over. God bless Dune and spaceship fanart for the inspiration. This time I'm sure I'll finally get the body to look very nice.

I also changed the barrels to a modified version of the stinger's barrels from the other thread. I wanted to see what it would look like. I'm not particularly satisfied, so they will change. I have one last idea for a new look for the barrels, which I want to try out. The spiral barrel constraints will be added back once I made them look cooler, but for now I really want to focus on the body.

Attached Files
                            Check out my work!
                            | Localization

Comment

Update 4.5

Just a little sneak peek at some work in progress. I'd say this is looking promising. Hopefully I can complete the base shape of the body this weekend. After that I will sculpt in some fine details as well.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by InVader; 11-28-2015, 10:10 PM.
                              Check out my work!
                              | Localization

Comment

Working...
                              X