No announcement yet.

Minigun by Invader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's good your not dead Invader Who would have finished your gun?

If your getting stuck, why not "sound board" your options and we'll try to give some constructive feedback to help get you thru?

You've got ultimate say in the end, but we're here to listen
    Last edited by richardboegli; 03-18-2017, 04:39 PM.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

• UPDATE 11:

Hi, I'm still alive. From time to time I do find time to work on this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	3 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	390529Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	390522Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	3 Size:	384.2 KB ID:	390521

As you can see on the side-view, I reworked a lot of stuff, even stuff on the main body, to make a better fit for the magazine. New rear handle is also more fitting for the style this gun is going for. New bolts have much cleaner geometry than the old ones. Also, less clipping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	187.5 KB ID:	390519

Middle barrel was replaced with the magnetic coil cannon. Remember those old spiral constraints? Well, those spikes extending from the middle cannon will be

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	181.5 KB ID:	390520

Now here comes the part I want help with: see the ammo belt coming from the magazine into the feeder? Well, it's... barely a belt. It doesn't even make sense, consider the type of magazine it's coming from. The little clips usually used for ammo belts would just jam this spiral magazine (which is why I haven't added them yet). I need ideas what to do with this belt. Maybe create a hard cover for it? What would that look like? Or maybe the bullets just float straight into the magazine, accompanied by some particle effects? Like a tractor beam... the bullets would travel alongside the light. Is that too sci-fi? I don't know. Or maybe I could put big-*** gears in the middle, replacing the feeder, which would take the bullets, rotate around, and then pass them to the bolts to lock into the chamber - this is almost exactly how real minigun's bullet feeders work - but then I'd have to find a new way to attach the magainze to the gun (I do have something in mind).

So let me know what you think of that belt.

There's also option B for the magazine: Trash the spiral magazine and the feeder itself becomes the magazine. The bolts (used for locking in the bullets), will be replaced with batteries and will fire on their own (lasers instead of small shards ofc). In the middle, the big shards would stacked on top of each other - a new type superfast rof turret is loaded this way, with bullets stacked on each other in 32 barrels, 10+ bullets each. We can still keep the coil cannon in the middle, though it would be filled up with the big shards.

Speaking of big shards, this would be a smart way of imagining how the gun is filled up with them. Right now, it looks like the big shards appear in the middle cannon out of nowhere. If we stick with option A, I'm planning on putting a little teleportation device there, which would teleport the big shards into the chamber straight from your pockets.

In option B I do need some room to put the long stack of shards in the middle cannon, so my idea is to make the rear handle part of the magazine. In theory you would just twist the joystick and it would fall right out along with the magazine. Grab a new one by the handle, jam it in, ready to fire

I'll be on vacation for 10 days, I'll read all the feedback when I come back. Maybe I'll create the option B magazine when I get back, so you guys can see what it would look like.
      Last edited by InVader; 07-09-2017, 05:46 PM.
      Check out my work!
      | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
      | Localization

Comment

• This has to be the official Stinger: I LOVE IT!

Seriously, the side view is amazing! The first person view needs more detail, but it's a good direction for my taste.

Then, for the magazine, I think you can put the gears you were talking about ("Or maybe I could put big-*** gears in the middle, replacing the feeder, which would take the bullets, rotate around, and then pass them to the bolts to lock into the chamber - this is almost exactly how real minigun's bullet feeders work - but then I'd have to find a new way to attach the magainze to the gun").

Otherwise you can do something like this. The magazine contains more than one spiral. When one of them is about to get empty, a sort of mechanism pushes back the other one, connecting the first bullet of the new spiral with the last bullet of the feeded belt. This would be quite difficult to animate, though...

-Luigi Rapetta
        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
        Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

• I like the idea of levitating the rounds in but really all the ideas sound good.

Comment

• He's alive ! ALIIIIIIIIVE !

I would also be for a magnetic feeder. After all, why not go full on the magnetic and high sci-fi side ? To put it, I would suggest to do the following : Do you see the Dingo in CoD and it's "belt" on the left ?

Well I propose that you do something similar beetwen the feeder and the mag, but cut completely the middle section of it, let each side attached to it's respective part (one next to the feeder, the other next to the mag) and a kind of shimmering light/tunnel in beetwen both side. Only one round will go on the tunnel at a time, but extremely fast.
            Also for the "big" shard/stake, I suggest to remove it completely from your gun. Why so ? Because it would be "fabricated" directly into the gun's chamber. Place a kind of constructing device (See the fabricator in Prey ? Something like that could do) in the body of the gun, and a new stake is created by "combining" the already present little shards to manufacture it.

I'm not certain if I explained my idea very clearly, but I hope you got the main points.

Comment

• Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
              The first person view needs more detail, but it's a good direction for my taste.
              Hmmm, Yeah, I see what you mean. There's till the barrel constraints and the ammo display missing. The display will hopefully help with that, while the barrel constraints might be too much.

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
              Then, for the magazine, I think you can put the gears you were talking about ("Or maybe I could put big-*** gears in the middle, replacing the feeder, which would take the bullets, rotate around, and then pass them to the bolts to lock into the chamber - this is almost exactly how real minigun's bullet feeders work - but then I'd have to find a new way to attach the magainze to the gun").

Otherwise you can do something like this. The magazine contains more than one spiral. When one of them is about to get empty, a sort of mechanism pushes back the other one, connecting the first bullet of the new spiral with the last bullet of the feeded belt. This would be quite difficult to animate, though...
              I used to have an additional ring of spirals inside the initial one. It really is ludicrous work tho. It's not visible either, so I ditched that idea.

Originally posted by Darkloser
              I would also be for a magnetic feeder. After all, why not go full on the magnetic and high sci-fi side ? To put it, I would suggest to do the following : Do you see the Dingo in CoD and it's "belt" on the left ?
              Yeeees, I was thinking about that as well. There's only 1 minor issue: spiral magazines and these box magazines work differently. In the classic M249 box magazine the ammo is folded up and already fitted in a belt with small clips holding them. Realistically, in a spiral magazine those little clips on the belt would just jam the whole thing, because they work much like regular mags in something like an M4. The PP-19 Bizon has a spiral magazine like that.
              That's why a real minigun also has 1 additional rotating feeder gear, which gets rid of those little clips before feeding the bullets into the chamber.

Like, it's really just a minor logical issue (these things are ticking me off) and in a sci-fi game we could totally just forget about it, but then again, in a sci-fi world we could do something much cooler - like the bullets just flying straight into the chamber on a magicel belt made out of... errrr... solid light

Originally posted by Darkloser
              Also for the "big" shard/stake, I suggest to remove it completely from your gun. Why so ? Because it would be "fabricated" directly into the gun's chamber. Place a kind of constructing device (See the fabricator in Prey ? Something like that could do) in the body of the gun, and a new stake is created by "combining" the already present little shards to manufacture it.
              Now THAT's an even cooler idea than my portal device. I could create little trapdoors where the bolts are and they could slide straight into the middle chamber where they would dissolve and get re-fabricated into a big shard. Animating the bullets dissolving wouldn't even be that hard, there's functions for this. It just wouldn't be very visible - it's inside the middle chamber afterall.

I think I will replace the shard inside the magazine with an even bigger raw shard, just so that the magazine is visually identified easier in the game. Maybe a combination of this and the portal idea could work really well - teleport the matter in the middle chamber and then fabricate it.
              Last edited by InVader; 07-20-2017, 09:36 AM.
              Check out my work!
              | Localization

Comment

• Originally posted by InVader View Post
                Yeeees, I was thinking about that as well. There's only 1 minor issue: spiral magazines and these box magazines work differently. In the classic M249 box magazine the ammo is folded up and already fitted in a belt with small clips holding them. Realistically, in a spiral magazine those little clips on the belt would just jam the whole thing. That's why a real minigun also has 1 additional rotating feeder gear, which gets rid of those little clips before feeding the bullets into the chamber.

Like, it's really just a minor logical issue (these things are ticking me off) and in a sci-fi game we could totally just forget about it, but then again, in a sci-fi world we could do something much cooler - like the bullets just flying straight into the chamber on a magicel belt made out of... errrr... solid light
                Originally posted by InVader View Post
                Realistically
                What is that word ?

More seriously, I think I had trouble expressing what I was visualizing, so here's a (absolutely atrocious) paint to help out :
                Click image for larger version

Name:	StingerExemple.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	391165
                So, in red is your stinger, with the main body and under it the magazine. The weird thing proturing from the left side is the system I was suggesting. Take something roughly (and I insist on roughly) the shape of the Dingo's belt. Cut the middle part (like in the figure), and instead makes the shards (in blue) float from bottom belt part to top belt part. The green represent a shimmering light/lazor/beam/whatever that replace the cut middle belt part. Because spess magik science... Indeed I'm exagerating the belt a lot, it shouldn't be as apparent, and instead should only be very slightly proturing from the side (enough to be visible, but not that much noticeable. The main attention should instead be on the floating magnetic shards and parts.

Comment

• Firstly very nice work, looks wayyyyyy better that whats currently in the game.

Probably getting ahead here but can we have this sound like a real minigun with accompanied firing rate? Oh and instant spool up like a real minigun. UT3 and UT4 have the shittest minigun of all the UT series and this would be most awesome if it had these qualities about them.

Massive thumbs up for actually researching into Gatling gun mechanics and implementing them into the model.

Comment

• Mate, I didn't know you made this with BLENDER!

I NEED to let you teach me how to weapon model!

Comment

• Waverun be polite and grateful and maybe he will

Comment

• So these past few weeks I was working on the font for the display. I got the numbers, which is all I need. I'd upload the font files, but the forum won't let me.

I take no responsibility for the asymmetry in #8 triggering anyone.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Eleguns numbers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	392758
                        Last edited by InVader; 09-01-2017, 04:53 PM.
                        Check out my work!
                        | Localization

Comment

• TRIGGERED xD

Nice stuff, anyway!

-Luigi Rapetta
                          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

• Choose one lads!

Here's some more #4s. #3s versions should come soon today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eleguns #4 comp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	393112
                            Last edited by InVader; 09-13-2017, 08:09 AM.
                            Check out my work!
                            | Localization

Comment

• Aaaaand here it is, Choose a #3 too guys. Though I don't feel like I've particularly hit the mark with any of them.

After this it's back to working on the model itself. Do the new magazine with the crystal growing over it. Do the display. Do the belt made out of light (lord help me, what am I getting into). Hopefully I'll come with some new barrels in the meanwhile (feel free to post ideas for the barrels though).

Btw. forums barely work,hope this gets fixed soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eleguns #3 comp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	393117
                              Last edited by InVader; 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM.
                              Check out my work!
                              | Localization

Comment

• I for 4 and F for 3!

-Luigi Rapetta
                                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Working...
                                X