No announcement yet.

Minigun by Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'll probably reduce the number of particles from 50 to something like 10 or 5. Soft blue outline lights might be the way to go here, so I'll give that a try as well.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

Comment

Man that sure is pretty

Comment

Update 13

Reworked the belt and the ring according to Envarion's suggestion. Gif with the new animation for the belt below.

Used the light blue chrome material, because I felt a bit of contrast was needed there. It does look a bit weird in 1st person view though. Maybe I should find a way to extend the ring inwards, wrapping around all the barrels individually?

Because of the ring I also had to change the center coil cannon a bit. Previously the blue magnetic rings were actually just floating there and I could get away with it because the front rings and the barrels covered it all up. i added supporting rods now, although I imagine it's a bit hard to see on the picture because of all the reflections.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	395951
        Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	395949
        Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	395948
        Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	395950

Happy new year!
        Last edited by InVader; 12-31-2017, 09:44 AM.
        Check out my work!
        | Localization

Comment

Hmmm, you're right about the first person view. Pretty much every image of a minigun I search for online (which also has a ring/disk at the front) has something blocking these ugly FPV gaps (green regions below), and that's something that I think will have to happen here.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitledminnigrn.png
Views:	25
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	396057

I spent some time doodling possible design directions and general thoughts to go from this point. Hope this helps!

https://i.imgur.com/OpTnY2d.jpg (Just ignore the big trace on the left, I was going to do something with it but I got lazy.)
          (If the above image appears super compressed and unreadable, you might be using a mobile device. In which case you need to switch to 'desktop browsing mode'.)
          Last edited by Envarion; 01-04-2018, 09:28 PM. Reason: Image didn't attach properly, fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Envarion
            Hmmm, you're right about the first person view. Pretty much every image of a minigun I search for online (which also has a ring/disk at the front) has something blocking these ugly FPV gaps (green regions below), and that's something that I think will have to happen here.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n396057[/ATTACH]

I spent some time doodling possible design directions and general thoughts to go from this point. Hope this helps!

https://i.imgur.com/OpTnY2d.jpg (Just ignore the big trace on the left, I was going to do something with it but I got lazy.)
            (If the above image appears super compressed and unreadable, you might be using a mobile device. In which case you need to switch to 'desktop browsing mode'.)
            That's massively helpful, thanks fam.

Btw. I did try extending the ring inwards (entire surface). Problem is, because of the X shape it has, it looks kinda weird from front view (surface is wavy because of the X shape) and that makes it look all cluttered up. I can still try extending only the beams between the barrels (as you designed it). I could attach the supporting rods to those beams instead of the barrels as well. That might just work, though the rod uses the barrel's material, not the chrome one :T

I do like the cog shape idea for the ring though! very nice subtle detail. I'll add it, but will try make it a bit smoother to keep the design for the chromed parts uniform (they're all smooth, so...)
            Check out my work!
            | Localization

Comment

Invader posted this to the UT Discord, seems like a good secondary fire object.

Comment

Alright lads, here's the version where I filled the gaps. The version with slimmer beams extending inwards from the ring looked even worse from the front because of the gaps. Too messy. The cogwheel surface looks cool. Might need to adjust the size and width of the teeth though.

imho it's not much of an improvement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	New_ring-1stP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	396448
                Click image for larger version  Name:	New_ring-side.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	396449
                Click image for larger version  Name:	New_ring-front.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	396450

I do have another an idea though. How about moving the rings a bit further back so that the ends of the barrels are visible? That way the gap won't be visible. Might even put some kind of flash hider attachment there (something similar to the barrel ending of Option C from last page). I don't want to extend the barrels length though. I think the proportions are perfect right now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ring_notes.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	396451
                Last edited by InVader; 01-21-2018, 06:40 PM.
                Check out my work!
                | Localization

Comment

Well, looks like sliding the ring back works just fine! Looks a little bit weirder from the side, but so much better from 1st person. I tried the flash hider, but it extends the barrels a bit too much. If I were to reduce the barrels length, I'd also have to reduce the length of the coil cannon in the middle (can't attach those to the flash hiders afterall) and I don't want that. Also tried shearing the barrel endings in a different direction so that the inner side is shorter, but with the outer sides being long it look too sharp, long and crude from the side. The way it is now, the ending looks overall rounded a bit, which makes it look more elegant, which fits the rest of the gun.

Maybe I'll play around with the flash hiders some more. Tbh I'd have to see it in-game first, just to have a guess at how long the gun is or might be with the flash hiders.

I also added rails for the bolts that will be locking the bullets in the chamber. For now I made them asymmetric, because I want the bullets to pop out through the big hole on the side (seeing the shells pop out in UT99 looked cool, so I want something like that).

Since I don't plan on changing the body any further, I went ahead and made it asymmetric (don't need ammo feeder on that side ofc) and the magazine too. I might yet change the front part of the magazine to a big tarydium crystal, that's overgrowing the rest of the magazine. Luckily, making the magazine asymmetric now won't get in the way of that. These changes aren't visible on any of the screenshots, but it takes us one step closer to getting the gun ready for re-topo and texturing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	alternate ring-1st_person.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	396631
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	alternate ring-front.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	396632
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	alternate ring-side.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	396633
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Bolt_rails.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	396634

^ Animating this in Blender will be nasty D:
                  Last edited by InVader; 01-28-2018, 05:21 PM.
                  Check out my work!
                  | Localization

Comment

Before you start animating or low poly, here's what I noticed you should do.

You see this, right?

Re-add the ring on THAT barrel, but move it to the position of THIS gun.

And keep the diagonal metal piece where the black part of the gun is.
                    Last edited by Waverun; 01-28-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Waverun the gear shapes only look good with filled rings though. It's barely visible anyways, imo. Perhaps with multiple rings (like some Vietnam era miniguns), but I want as much of the barrels and the coil cannon rings visible as possible.

Couldn't resist doing the crystals on magazine. Lemme know what ya'll think is the best fit.

Name:	Magazine_overgrowth-comparison.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	396789
                      Check out my work!
                      | Localization

Comment

I vote for option E.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled498.png Views:	1 Size:	583.9 KB ID:	396795
                        Even the laser beam is encrusted with crystals.

Jokes aside, I'm pretty stumped as to where else to go from here. I'm not too fond of how all 3 views look with the ring shifted closer to the middle. But I actually do like that cogged variant you came up with from the fpv and side views, and I think it still has some good potential. The front view looks pretty blocky, but there's loads of stuff you can do about that. To start off, here's what I'm thinking you could do:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitledp.png Views:	1 Size:	545.6 KB ID:	396796
                        Basically... Delete those black support rods on the inside (x's), and 'replace' them by extruding the inside 'teeth' of the ring inward (basically the ring and support rods would be the sameish piece). From an engineering standpoint (without going into the wordy technicalities), I figure this would also make for a much more secure/rugged construction. This will also allow us to keep that imposing look the original support rods offered in the front view. I would be very interested in seeing how these changes look.

And then from this point, you'll have only two main considerations concerning that new piece:

A) What to do about that light material as it transitions inside? (Maybe a transition from light to dark as you move from outside to in?)
                        B) What details to add to make the front surfaces look good.

PS: Only just now realized my option E's barrel end looks like a gigantic todger. -- "We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents." -Bob Ross
                        Last edited by Envarion; 02-02-2018, 11:39 PM. Reason: The forum censors every other word for todger

Comment

My vote gets either B or D. Whichever one of the two the majority of everyone else votes for.

Comment

@Waverun
                            Is this what you were thinking with your last post?

Name:	Untitledwr.png
Views:	26
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	396849

As for each of the crystal variants, I think I ultimately prefer A; in part for its silhouette. For each form with the crystal engulfing the magazine, the mass appears as you might find tarydium before it is manufactured into ammunition (a refined state). If you were to go the direction involving the weapon creating its own ammo from a chunk of tarydium as it fires, the mag's design would have to be drastically overhauled/redone to align with that purpose. Don't get me wrong though, the crystal itself wrapping around the mag (especially in D) looks pretty awesome, but I feel there's a pretty big design conflict where the crystal meets the magazine-- speaking as a soon-to-be engineer, it creates far too many questions concerning practicality, and operation. It's just not quite the right weapon to use that aesthetic on imo. Props for playing with the idea though!

Comment

Envarion Something like that, except remove the curvier ring and put the more linear ring in it's place, yeah.

Comment

@Envarion
                                Yeah, the idea was that the ammunition is created from that big crystal within the magazine, with the big shards being teleported into the middle cannon. I was bothered by the mechanical implications myself, so maybe replacing a part of the spiraling ammo with some lasers/grinders could help make sense of where the ammo is coming from. That spiraling ammo is looking cool as it is though...

The ammo itself could be changed as well. Remove the bullet shells and just have them as raw tarydium shards instead. The bolts used for locking them into the chamber could be changed a bit to imply that they contain the propellant or expel the projectile some other way.

We could also just remove the magazine completely and change the bolts into little batteries and turn it into a laser-minigun. The big shards would still be teleported into the middle cannon (from your pockets?), though at this point I'd rather not go that far. Might as well make that a new minigun model entirely.

I also have a new idea for the ring. It will consist of 2 parts: the inner part will have the barrel's material and it will extend into the supporting rods like you suggested. On top of that will be the outer part that will use the shiny blue-ish chrome material and will be used to add that cog shape. Best of both worlds. I'm only worried about the 'X' shape making it look a bit weird (how will I connect the supporting rods to parts where the ring is split?).
                                Check out my work!
                                | Localization

Comment

Working...
                                X