No announcement yet.

Minigun by Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will play around even more with these fibers, to get the desired look and appropriately cover most of the inner parts of the gun. After that I'll add the bearings to connect the constraints with the rails above the barrels. After that comes the front and rear handle.

I also got an idea to somehow make the magazine part of the rear handle.

If all goes well, I should be finished with the model itself by new year's After that I'll just create a low-poly version and try and import it into the UT editor.

As far as materials go, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to create a nice, clean chrome material for the surface and some kind of metal for the rest. Anything more than that, I'm not confident in doing. I suck at creating textures/materials. I don't have any fancy programs for that like Substance Painter etc.

If someone would like to help me out with the materials, sure I can go absolutely go into more detail with the model. I'm still planning on sculpting a nice Fiorenze relief pattern on body. But I plan that fancy stuff for a paid/challenge-reward skin. I think the basic version with a nice chrome finish is good enough for a default minigun.
    Attached Files
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

Comment

Ok ...this ...I ...speechless.
      Didn't expect this.

I like this design direction you went with this weapon ...your former attempts where to blocky and looked more like some child had an idea for a weapon.
      But this ...All this curved lines, the well thought out mechanic ...it looks now like a weapon for the upper class and not just a masses butchering low skill gun.
      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

you are the hero we needed!

Comment

yay! Thanks for noticing me! x) It sure gives me motivation to work on this instead of playing the games I got for Xmas
          Check out my work!
          | Localization

Comment

Definitely a cool minigun, gives me a bit of a retro-futurism kind of vibe, like something you might see from a E. R. Burroughs novel or a depiction of Atlantean technology.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
              Definitely a cool minigun, gives me a bit of a retro-futurism kind of vibe, like something you might see from a E. R. Burroughs novel or a depiction of Atlantean technology.
              Hehe, yeah, probably because of the chrome material. Atlantean crystal technology in particular is actually a very good approximation of this style, since the basic idea was to somehow make the gun look appropriate to what it's shooting - Tarydium crystal shards. At one point I did have the idea to just jam a huge tyradium crystal in the middle of the gun as ammo-magazine, from which the shards would be trimmed as you shoot with the gun.
              Last edited by InVader; 07-06-2016, 04:31 AM.
              Check out my work!
              | Localization

Comment

I like the lines and the shape of this model but, as far as I'm concerned, the style of the barrels seems to be "militar" than the rest of the weapon. Personally, I'd like to see something linked with drills, but using the rounded lines which you showed to us. I noticed that there's already a sort of drill in the middle, which I really like, mostly because it's next to what seems to be a clip of Tyradium.

Nice job, anyway!

EDIT: I've found these images on the net. I hope they'll be useful!

Attached Files
                Last edited by rapfamily4; 12-31-2015, 01:49 PM.

-Luigi Rapetta
                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I did a thing!
                  I figured we need a 1st person view of this, so here it is.

Attached Files
                  Check out my work!
                  | Localization

Comment

Really, Really Nicee...

Comment

Bearings and attachment rails finished.

To be honest, the rails seem kinda... off compared to the rest of the gun. The chrome material helps blending them in the overall style, but they don't quite fit. I do need them though, because I want to put a laser pointer on them. I CAN rework them to be less functional and more stylistically aligned though. I'm just not quite sure whether I actually want that.

Well, at least the bearings look spot on.

EIDT: Played around with the background settings a bit. The chrome material is looking really good
                      I also tried adding the spiral constraints with the newly set up material. Interesting, but not quite there yet. I have an idea to make these bands look stronger and sexier, just you wait...

Attached Files
                      Last edited by InVader; 01-01-2016, 04:12 PM. Reason: New render
                      Check out my work!
                      | Localization

Comment

The spiral looks ok-ish ...but adds too much visual noise to the weapon.
                        I don't really like the supporting beam on top of the weapon... it's very thin and looks weak and doesn't really fit to the remaining style of the weapon.
                        I can try to make an paint over to explain it better.
                        ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Update 5

Ping!

Progress on the rear handle. I'm experimenting with this cool feature in blender, that lets me generate stuff alongside a curve. It works pretty will, but the problem is I will need to break up a regularity to somehow attach the handle to the gun and also to make the magazine somehow part of that handle. Attaching it to the body shouldn't be a problem, it will nicely cover up the driver cog too.

The magazine however will be very problematic. The shape of the rear handle is really sleek right now, but putting a horizontally long magazine would require me to ruin that shape. Making it part of the handle is the most appropriate place for it right now. I could make the magazine curved too, but... I don't know...
                          Attached Files
                          Check out my work!
                          | Localization

Comment

I must be insane, because I'm decorating the most obscure part of the gun right now
                            This little engine + driver cog is under the gun and it will be covered by additional chrome stripes (the ones that make up the shell of the body) and the part where the stock is attached as well.

Whatever, I'll finish it anyways I guess. At least the eventual exploded-view renders will look nice from all angles (if Epic ever takes this).

Attached Files
                            Check out my work!
                            | Localization

Comment

Very cool progress. Yes, you are spending time on a lot of detail that might never be seen but as long as you are having fun, learning & progressing that's all that matters.
                              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Update 6

Thanks for the feedback! Well I completed the little engine. Looks kinda like something outa Transformers, doesn't it? Hopefully it makes it a bit more noticeable though, as if it was yelling "Hey, over here, I'm under the gun! Notice me!"

The Tyradium crystal material needs some work though. Although I'm terrible with materials, I really should start using the Cycles engine in Blender. I'm told creating cool looking crystals in the basic Blender engine is very hard, because volume calculation sucks. I'm just afraid of it, because it takes A LOT of time to set up the bilateral filtering and all the materials with the nodes (****, why is Blender written in Python, it would be easier for me to just write the algorithm straight in C).

Moving on...
                                I'll probably rework the front handle, because I just got an idea to make it look less weird. Or maybe I get to work on the new barrel constraint stripes. I think I'll leave the rear handle be for the time being, because I need to figure out the magazine first.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by InVader; 01-17-2016, 08:55 PM.
                                Check out my work!
                                | Localization

Comment

Working...
                                X