No announcement yet.

Minigun by Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you ever think to draw a concept art of this weapon? It can be easier to design all the components and the features of the whole weapon, instead of sculpting them directly and getting lost among the thousands of components.

This is just a suggestion, though.

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

cool ich bin gespannt wie die Waffe wird

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
        Did you ever think to draw a concept art of this weapon? It can be easier to design all the components and the features of the whole weapon, instead of sculpting them directly and getting lost among the thousands of components.

This is just a suggestion, though.
        Hehe, here's the thing: I suck at drawing. I can mess up even a stick figure. I would literally have to attend a Drawing-101 course. Even though I am very precise with mouse (don't even need a Wacom table), I still don't know how to use the colors and the mentality behind the workflow. E.g.: How do I use the colors to make something look shiny? How do I draw perspective? How do I apply shadowing? What part of the picture should I start with? What shape would the object have from this perspective? etc. Even basic stuff like this is beyond me when it comes to drawing.

Now that I think about it, I CAN actually do vector graphics well though. Extremely well, even. Don't even need Adobe Illustrator, just the old Corel Draw 9 and to do it all by hand. It would be great for experimenting with the shapes. Problem is, I lost the installation disk for that as well x)

Either way, whether I edit curves in 3D or in 2D doesn't really matter, so I might as well do it in 3D right away. That way at least the render takes care of the nice reflections and lighting and everything for me. + I this way I finally learn high-poly hard-surface modeling (I've only done low-poly and sculpting before) in the meanwhile and add something to my portfolio, which is pretty much the point of all this.
        Last edited by InVader; 01-17-2016, 08:55 PM.
        Check out my work!
        | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
        | Localization

Comment

Hi!

Reworked the rails-bearings connector thingy. If you want me to make it wider, that's easy and doable.

I think I will begin the rework on the spirial constraints, the front handle (really not satisfied with it), and decorate the rotating magnetic balancer (the really plain looking thingy), but mostly because I have no idea what to do about the magazine. I have nowhere to place it, I have no way to place in a way so that it doesn't ruin the silhouette of the weapon, I don't know how to make it look cool and suitable for this particular weapon, I don't know how to make it work with the loading mechanism for the middle barrel (because it's above the rear handle)...

My best idea so far is that it will have approximately the size of the UT3 stinger-minigun magazine, but it will have a visible giant raw Tyradium crystal in it, from which the ammo will be trimmed as you shoot. Still creating the big shards which will then make their way through the rear handle to the loading mechanism looks still too **** weird.

I guess I could submit an orthogonal side view so that you guys get the general idea. I'll probably do that when I'm finished with some of the reworks and the magnetic balancer.
          Attached Files
          Check out my work!
          | Localization

Comment

A shot from player perspective would be interesting.
            ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Looks like a cool mash up between military and scifi, would love to see another player perspective shot. Keep up the great work!

Comment

I don't think there's a visible change in 1st person view. Only the Rail connector can be seen which is a very small change.

When I'm done with the front handle, the magnetic balancer and the new barrel constraints, 1st person view will change significantly though, so next update will include that.
                Check out my work!
                | Localization

Comment

Just a little question. Why did you put two clips with two different ammo types? I mean... there are both ballistic bullets and Tyradium crystals.

-Luigi Rapetta
                  (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                  Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Just a little question. Why did you put two clips with two different ammo types? I mean... there are both ballistic bullets and Tyradium crystals.

what? where? nope, it's all tyradium. Just in different sizes. The middle barrel fires much bigger shards. The idea with the magazine was to just use a single huge tyradium crystal as a magazine. The shards for the 8 rotating and the big middle barrel would would be then trimmed by some mechanism directly from that huge crystal... at least for now, because I don't have a better idea.

If you look at the description of the UT3 stinger minigun or the classic Unreal Stinger, they fire unrefined shards of raw tyradium. Here's the quote from Liandri Archives for UT3 stinger-minigun:

Replacing the Minigun in this year's Tournament, the 'Stinger' is actually a Liandri mining tool converted into military service. The Stinger fires shards of unprocessed Tarydium crystal at an alarming rate, raking opponents with a storm of deadly needles. The alternate fire shoots larger chunks of crystal that can knock back an opponent, sometimes even pinning them to walls.
                    Last edited by InVader; 01-24-2016, 03:59 AM.
                    Check out my work!
                    | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
                      So, will you replace those bullets with shards?

-Luigi Rapetta
                      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

The new Minigun should can fire both bullets and shards

Comment

So, will you replace those bullets with shards?
                          the yellow things are not bullets. It's a big firing pin/hammer that is used for ignition. The bullet/shard goes in front of them. For reference:

Not sure how much you can see, but these bolts have a rather big metallic firing pin inside of them.

... I guess I really didn't think this through all that well, because the tyradium shard has to come in a shell so that we can actually "fire" it. Although I suppose the trimmer can include these shells and fit them on the shards on the run... eh... sounds too gimmicky. Or maybe a magnetic rail system should launch the raw shards? Or it can just have a regular magazine :P

EDIT: Oh wow, we reached page 2.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by InVader; 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM.
                          Check out my work!
                          | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
                            Or maybe a magnetic rail system should launch the raw shards?
                            What about the Gauss Gun system?
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun

-Luigi Rapetta
                            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

What about the Gauss Gun system?
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun
                              Yes, a brushless system like this is exactly what I had in mind. It's much better than having a sliding magnet, because that would deteriorate very fast an therefor shorten the lifespan of the weapon.

Creating something like this would require minimal effort on my end, because the spiral constraints could be re-purposed for this. However, it would only work for the middle main barrel. I don't know how we would handle the rotating barrels though.

Alternatively we could have something similar to the Metal Storm system, where every barrel fires independently:

I don't know how we would load this thing though. I mean obviously we have no reloading in the game, but I would like to have this weapon built in a sensible way. Also, having rotating barrels looks very nice, so I would prefer to keep that.
                              Check out my work!
                              | Localization

Comment

Spinning barrels could be like a single rotating bobine, and the rotation activates a drill which picks up shards from the main crystal. Now I'm just fantasizing...

-Luigi Rapetta
                                (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Working...
                                X