No announcement yet.

Minigun by Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the crystal to be formed like a crystal ...or can it be a block of tyradium?
    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
      Has the crystal to be formed like a crystal ...or can it be a block of tyradium?
      In the ammo magazine? No. When it gets loaded into the barrel? Yes.

Though we could still just make a regular magazine. It's not like anyone is going to see it anyways. However, the main problem is still the placement/size. I just can't find a good spot for the magazine, without it ruining the silhouette of the weapon in the side-view.

After scrapping a lot of concepts, I just went to work on the rest of the weapon. Pictures of the magnetic balancer and slightly changed front handle should be coming by the end of this week. + renders from all views (side, top, 1st person)

God save me from the rendering times, they are getting longer and longer.
      Last edited by InVader; 01-25-2016, 10:43 AM.
      Check out my work!
      | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
      | Localization

Comment

Update 7

Wow, this was s real drag, but I finally set up Cycles with most materials. In the case of the last picture there's also some experimental bilateral filtering. This is nowhere near a well set up render though. For that I'd have to set up multi-pass composite rendering with bilateral filtering applied on each separate pass.

It's a fast one though. The new rendering engine gives me 15 minute rendering times instead of 40+ minute. It's also a lot nicer and the real-time approximate rendering is faster as well. GPU acceleration works as well... I'm set for the future.

So here is the new Balancer rendered with Cycles. A bit dark and noisy, but that will be taken care of later.

I did not get to work on it as much as I wanted to, but I'm very tempted to leave it mostly like this. The smooth shape looks kind of nice. I'm not sure if I want to ruin it by adding way too much detail. The only thing I would change is the regularity of the inner lights. Then just tweak the outer lights and obviously the glass material, because it's barely visible from 1st person. It's noisy as hell I know, but bilateral filtering wasn't set up for this render yet.

So here are the rest of the renders I promised:

I guess it's about time to add the laser pointer.

Here's an edge-filtered top view of the weapon. I thought exploring the silhouette this way was kind of interesting.

Attached Files
        Last edited by InVader; 02-01-2016, 03:12 AM.
        Check out my work!
        | Localization

Comment

MY GOD

You have done a great job! I just LOVE the first person view and the side view!!! The details are awesome, too!

Anyway, I think the problem of the canister is still persistent.
          We have to find a solution.

-Luigi Rapetta
          (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
            Wow, this was s real drag, but I finally set up Cycles with most materials. In the case of the last picture there's also some experimental bilateral filtering. This is nowhere near a well set up render though. For that I'd have to set up multi-pass composite rendering with bilateral filtering applied on each separate pass.

It's a fast one though. The new rendering engine gives me 15 minute rendering times instead of 40+ minute. It's also a lot nicer and the real-time approximate rendering is faster as well. GPU acceleration works as well... I'm set for the future.

So here is the new Balancer rendered with Cycles. A bit dark and noisy, but that will be taken care of later.

I did not get to work on it as much as I wanted to, but I'm very tempted to leave it mostly like this. The smooth shape looks kind of nice. I'm not sure if I want to ruin it by adding way too much detail. The only thing I would change is the regularity of the inner lights. Then just tweak the outer lights and obviously the glass material, because it's barely visible from 1st person. It's noisy as hell I know, but bilateral filtering wasn't set up for this render yet.

So here are the rest of the renders I promised:

I guess it's about time to add the laser pointer.

Here's an edge-filtered top view of the weapon. I thought exploring the silhouette this way was kind of interesting.

How do we hold this? looks amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
              How do we hold this? looks amazing!
              Like a regular minigun. There's a handle on top of the gun. It doesn't have a proper silicone/leather grip yet.

Attached Files
              Check out my work!
              | Localization

Comment

Interesting minigun. It reminds necrogothic/biomechanic style by Giger. Want see in game!

Comment

I'm no expert, but while I LOVE the overall design, I agree that the rail feels slightly off. From the top and side profiles they look fine, In tbe first person view they look as though they may just be some odd-looking aliased textures. I imagine simplifying the slots to more of a standard trapezoid shape may help, but perhaps it would be best to change it from a rail to a simple structural bar in the same material as the rest of the outer casing?

I love the asset, but make sure you don't wear yourself out adding too much small-scale detail! Small details don't usually work in UT. Look at the Flak Cannon, for example. It fits because the details are exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mummelpuffin View Post
                    I'm no expert, but while I LOVE the overall design, I agree that the rail feels slightly off. From the top and side profiles they look fine, In tbe first person view they look as though they may just be some odd-looking aliased textures. I imagine simplifying the slots to more of a standard trapezoid shape may help, but perhaps it would be best to change it from a rail to a simple structural bar in the same material as the rest of the outer casing?

I love the asset, but make sure you don't wear yourself out adding too much small-scale detail! Small details don't usually work in UT. Look at the Flak Cannon, for example. It fits because the details are exaggerated.
                    Right now it is modeled after some real life rails. Not all of them have purely trapezoid shapes. It did have that shape before and it just looked worse and more boring. I might make them less wide and less cramped though. Or maybe place them on the underside of that bar.
                    Check out my work!
                    | Localization

Comment

That's a stunning design you have going on there!
                      Here's my biggest criticism:

I think a lower grip would be better for two reasons. Less of the pretty gun would be covered up by your character's arms, and less of your view is obscured by your character's arm reaching from one side to the other.

You might be able to work out a lower grip by expanding on some bits around here:
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Envarion; 02-04-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

A more lateral grip would be perfect, such as in the DukeNukem 3D machinegun (I mean the position, NOT the composition and shape of the grip; infact Duke's Chaingun has got a linear grip, instead of the "arch-like" grip of the minigun).

-Luigi Rapetta
                        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                        Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

I though about a lower grip, but holding the minigun like that would look way too silly imho. It's a minigun, not an assault rifle.

The UT3 minigun also has a side-grip (bicycle grip). While it doesn't look silly to hold the weapon like that in 3rd person, looking at it in 1st person view makes you think the guy has one hell of a strong wrist to be able to hold it like that, without the gun rolling over towards the right.

The Duke3D machine gun gets away with it, because the whole gun is so bulky, that the grip looks it's close enough to the center-of-mass of the gun. I suppose I could do the same. I could put a giant bullet-feeder to the lower-left side of the weapon and place the handle just above it. It would also be a lot easier to do the magazine that way. It would completely ruin the aesthetic of the gun though - as in, the once sleek minigun would now look very bulky and it would be completely in contrast with the choice of material as well. That kind of design is better suited for the miniguns Gooba has created concepts for. A more military style minigun.

I choose a chrome material, because that not only looks the most sci-fi and suitable to a sleek gun, but would well demonstrate the power of UE4 with the reflections.

I agree that the arms will probably cover up more than they should with that top handle. Even though the top handle makes physically speaking the most sense, I might try to create a sort of angular grip (kinda like the UT99 minigun, or what Max has on his Stiner). As for the bicycle grip, I'd rather avoid it if I can, although I have no problem replacing the top handle with that if people will demand it. My only other concern is, that I might not be able to do it in a way that it doesn't ruin the silhouette of the gun. Right now it's a very sleek, sexy but heavy minigun. I'd prefer to keep it that way.

btw. I have an idea for the magazine, though it will come at the cost of the rear vertebrae handle. Hopefully it will be ready this weekend.

I might give the angular front grip a try as well if I have any more time. I have some cool animation ideas for the front grip on weapon switch.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by InVader; 02-06-2016, 02:05 PM.
                          Check out my work!
                          | Localization

Comment

Work in progress on the thingy, which will hold the magazine.

It looks kinda cool, but the model is starting to look rather chaotic (like something out of Painkiller) and this might very well make it difficult to properly place the belt which will feed the little shards to the gun, so I might change it drastically.

A change in material might resolve the problem with it looking chaotic. Perhaps carbon fiber? Something black but shiny.
                            Attached Files
                            Check out my work!
                            | Localization

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, you should try to shape this magazine holder following the round lines of the upper zone of the weapon.

For instance, there is an empty place between the two round plates which you can use to attach the holder (?).
                              Last edited by rapfamily4; 02-14-2016, 09:06 AM. Reason: Grammar

-Luigi Rapetta
                              (rapfamily4)

My projects list:

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                                As far as I'm concerned, you should try to shape this magazine holder following the round lines of the upper zone of the weapon.

For instance, there is an empty place between the two round plates which you can use to attach the holder (?).
                                That is the place where I plan on inserting the bullets, but using a belt instead. Mechanically, the best place would be below the gun, where the the engine is right now (covered up by the spikey parts) or slightly to the left.

The magazine will be part of the rear handle, so that I have a way of feeding shards to the middle barrel as well. And yes, I do plan on fashioning it in a similar style to the rest of the gun.
                                Check out my work!
                                | Localization

Comment

Working...
                                X