• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Double helix

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So this is the high-poly (1st person view model) I've been working on on and off. 21.5k verts so far, normals are not baked yet.

Bullets and belt are still missing and right now I'm wondering if I should just remove the magazine from the 1st person view model, since it's not visible anyways. A belt might still be worth adding for the 1st person view model. Some people crank the FoV all the way up to 130, so they might see at least the belt. Same story with the joystick, although with only 300 verts used, it's not much of a problem.

I hear for the low-poly (3rd person view model) around 20k are ideal. There's some room for tweaking on the barrels, the interior parts and the handles, but I'd rather not touch the body. All the smooth curves would look really weird if I'd have to go any lower with them. The edges in some places are already visible on the high-poly (particularly around the laser pointer and around the front handle). Considering I will indeed need the magazine and the bullets for the 3rd person model, those 20k verts don't look to realistic. I guess I could sort of melt the ones inside together (it could still be animated) to save some verts and only use normal bullets for the belt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HighPolyPlain1st_person.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	403225
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighPolyPlainsideview.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	403226
    EDIT: Here's some with wireframe on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HighPolyWireframe1st_person.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	403229

Name:	HighPolyWireframesideview.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	403230​​​​​​​
    Last edited by InVader; 10-12-2018, 01:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    n0niz
    For setting up the weapon itself in UE4, likely yes. Setting up the materials for it in UE4, likely not.

Some kind of new, detailed guide would be nice btw. The official one for importing weapons is really... basic. It doesn't address any of the nuances when exporting from Blender (which uses OpenGL's coordinate system rather than DX) either.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    very nice, looking forward to the texturing. let me know if you need help in blueprints then

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Update 14:

Alright, I think I'm settling for these rings. Best of both worlds, imho.

Let's wrap this up and get to retopo and texturing already. I spent way too much time trying to make this perfect. It can only get ruined from here on out anyways.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ring#3-front.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	398826
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ring#3-side.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	398827
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ring#3-1st_person.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	398828
    Last edited by InVader; 04-02-2018, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here it is Rooster128. Sorry for the noisy renders, didn't quite have the time to adjust the bilateral filters to the new materials (it messes up the poorly lit areas real bad).

Sorry for being out for so long, I had a severe illness and stuff, and have been busy with work and the Japanese language course. Let us wrap the stuff with the ring up and get to retopo and texturing. Would you guys prefer the gun mostly clean, or with a lot of dirt and scratches on it?

Click image for larger version  Name:	No_material-1st_person.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	398781
    Click image for larger version  Name:	No_material-front.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	398782
    Click image for larger version  Name:	No_material-rear.jpg Views:	1 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	398783
    Click image for larger version  Name:	No_material-side.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	398784
    Last edited by InVader; 03-31-2018, 02:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    InVader could you post a render of your gun all with a flat lambert or a blinn material on the gun? Along with ambient occlusion? Just want to get an idea of what the model looks like without the shaders on it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Envarion
    Yeah, the idea was that the ammunition is created from that big crystal within the magazine, with the big shards being teleported into the middle cannon. I was bothered by the mechanical implications myself, so maybe replacing a part of the spiraling ammo with some lasers/grinders could help make sense of where the ammo is coming from. That spiraling ammo is looking cool as it is though...

The ammo itself could be changed as well. Remove the bullet shells and just have them as raw tarydium shards instead. The bolts used for locking them into the chamber could be changed a bit to imply that they contain the propellant or expel the projectile some other way.

We could also just remove the magazine completely and change the bolts into little batteries and turn it into a laser-minigun. The big shards would still be teleported into the middle cannon (from your pockets?), though at this point I'd rather not go that far. Might as well make that a new minigun model entirely.

I also have a new idea for the ring. It will consist of 2 parts: the inner part will have the barrel's material and it will extend into the supporting rods like you suggested. On top of that will be the outer part that will use the shiny blue-ish chrome material and will be used to add that cog shape. Best of both worlds. I'm only worried about the 'X' shape making it look a bit weird (how will I connect the supporting rods to parts where the ring is split?).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Envarion Something like that, except remove the curvier ring and put the more linear ring in it's place, yeah.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Waverun
    Is this what you were thinking with your last post?

Name:	Untitledwr.png
Views:	10
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	396849

As for each of the crystal variants, I think I ultimately prefer A; in part for its silhouette. For each form with the crystal engulfing the magazine, the mass appears as you might find tarydium before it is manufactured into ammunition (a refined state). If you were to go the direction involving the weapon creating its own ammo from a chunk of tarydium as it fires, the mag's design would have to be drastically overhauled/redone to align with that purpose. Don't get me wrong though, the crystal itself wrapping around the mag (especially in D) looks pretty awesome, but I feel there's a pretty big design conflict where the crystal meets the magazine-- speaking as a soon-to-be engineer, it creates far too many questions concerning practicality, and operation. It's just not quite the right weapon to use that aesthetic on imo. Props for playing with the idea though!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My vote gets either B or D. Whichever one of the two the majority of everyone else votes for.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I vote for option E.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled498.png Views:	1 Size:	583.9 KB ID:	396795
    Even the laser beam is encrusted with crystals.

Jokes aside, I'm pretty stumped as to where else to go from here. I'm not too fond of how all 3 views look with the ring shifted closer to the middle. But I actually do like that cogged variant you came up with from the fpv and side views, and I think it still has some good potential. The front view looks pretty blocky, but there's loads of stuff you can do about that. To start off, here's what I'm thinking you could do:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitledp.png Views:	1 Size:	545.6 KB ID:	396796
    Basically... Delete those black support rods on the inside (x's), and 'replace' them by extruding the inside 'teeth' of the ring inward (basically the ring and support rods would be the sameish piece). From an engineering standpoint (without going into the wordy technicalities), I figure this would also make for a much more secure/rugged construction. This will also allow us to keep that imposing look the original support rods offered in the front view. I would be very interested in seeing how these changes look.

And then from this point, you'll have only two main considerations concerning that new piece:

A) What to do about that light material as it transitions inside? (Maybe a transition from light to dark as you move from outside to in?)
    B) What details to add to make the front surfaces look good.

PS: Only just now realized my option E's barrel end looks like a gigantic todger. -- "We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents." -Bob Ross
    Last edited by Envarion; 02-02-2018, 11:39 PM. Reason: The forum censors every other word for todger

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Waverun the gear shapes only look good with filled rings though. It's barely visible anyways, imo. Perhaps with multiple rings (like some Vietnam era miniguns), but I want as much of the barrels and the coil cannon rings visible as possible.

Couldn't resist doing the crystals on magazine. Lemme know what ya'll think is the best fit.

Name:	Magazine_overgrowth-comparison.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	396789

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Before you start animating or low poly, here's what I noticed you should do.

You see this, right?

Re-add the ring on THAT barrel, but move it to the position of THIS gun.

And keep the diagonal metal piece where the black part of the gun is.
    Last edited by Waverun; 01-28-2018, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, looks like sliding the ring back works just fine! Looks a little bit weirder from the side, but so much better from 1st person. I tried the flash hider, but it extends the barrels a bit too much. If I were to reduce the barrels length, I'd also have to reduce the length of the coil cannon in the middle (can't attach those to the flash hiders afterall) and I don't want that. Also tried shearing the barrel endings in a different direction so that the inner side is shorter, but with the outer sides being long it look too sharp, long and crude from the side. The way it is now, the ending looks overall rounded a bit, which makes it look more elegant, which fits the rest of the gun.

Maybe I'll play around with the flash hiders some more. Tbh I'd have to see it in-game first, just to have a guess at how long the gun is or might be with the flash hiders.

I also added rails for the bolts that will be locking the bullets in the chamber. For now I made them asymmetric, because I want the bullets to pop out through the big hole on the side (seeing the shells pop out in UT99 looked cool, so I want something like that).

Since I don't plan on changing the body any further, I went ahead and made it asymmetric (don't need ammo feeder on that side ofc) and the magazine too. I might yet change the front part of the magazine to a big tarydium crystal, that's overgrowing the rest of the magazine. Luckily, making the magazine asymmetric now won't get in the way of that. These changes aren't visible on any of the screenshots, but it takes us one step closer to getting the gun ready for re-topo and texturing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	alternate ring-1st_person.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	396631
    Click image for larger version  Name:	alternate ring-front.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	396632
    Click image for larger version  Name:	alternate ring-side.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	396633
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bolt_rails.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	396634

^ Animating this in Blender will be nasty D:
    Last edited by InVader; 01-28-2018, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X