This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Link Gun - IN PROGRESS

The UT team and Chris Perna have decided the next weapon they want me to model is the Link Gun. There have been many amazing concepts generated in all different styles and Mangley and Jayoplus are doing two very different versions with incredible modeling on both sides. I hope they continue their models and finish them as alternate versions. They are both very strong in their own ways and will present great alternatives to the official model that I create. The concepts the team selected are:

As with the Shock Rifle this is just the starting place. The weapon will grow and evolve as I model it and take all feedback and comments into consideration. I will also be pulling certain elements from other concepts and of course modifying stuff as needed once I start blocking in the geometry and figuring out articulation. While the Shock Rifle came out ok there is a lot of stuff I could have done better with 1p view & animation so I'm going to focus better on those elements with the Link Gun.

I will be doing this the same way I did the Shock Rifle, letting you see the entire process from the beginning - even the painful blocking in and early rough poly stages. I welcome your comments, crits, questions, suggestions, paintovers, etc. as always. I've been following the other Link Gun modeling and concept threads and already plan to implement a lot of the suggestions and comments that are posted in those threads so I know a lot of design concerns and requests already.

I'm super stoked to be sinking my teeth into another model and will update as soon as I have the base forms worked out.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YemYam; 04-15-2015, 05:39 PM.
    Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
    Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
    Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Awesome... but I don't think you can impress me with that concept as much as it did with the UT3 LinkGun but let's how the weapon will look like in the end. This concept is quite consistent to the ShockRifle general look. Wait for more updates and your progress on that weapon. Now get back into your digital cave and work!

Something on the concept itself...
    why is there a need of a notch and bead sighter? It does increase the perception of being a mondern military shooter weapon (Titanfall, CoD:AW).
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Awesome!
      Looking forward to follow this process again Pete.

Cheers.
      MyArtstation
      @jayoplus

Comment

When them time comes to set up the materials, it'd be really cool if you/someone made a stream/tutorial of the process

Comment

One favour to ask, from someone who loves UT, and wants it to evolve.

I know this will be a hard ask to make, but please keep an open mind. Think of the future, and what new players of the new UT will experience when they pick this awesome gun up and fire it for the first time. The art you've chosen is great, spot on. It sends all the correct signals, it makes a clear and concise statement as to what kind of weapon this gun is. I can't wait to see what you guys do with it. But this favour I have to ask you also has to do with the messaging and user experience, and how the users (especially new users) experience the weapon. It will involve breaking traditions and hurting feelings, but please, just consider it:

Call this bad boy the "Pulse Rifle"

Not 'link gun'

Comment

This is a great news !

While I like many Link gun concepts, this model is my favorite for the Link gun so I'm more than happy Epic choose it
            Stevie's corner
            Maps : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
            Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Amazing.
              Really good.

I wish minigun dont have cristalls, plz minigun=bullets.
              Need more power sensation to minigun, ut99 minigun is so cool, you can feel the power wen u use ! in ut2004 ut3 the minigun is a shame......

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post

Not 'link gun'
                Yes!

Bonus Trivia: The UT99 manual called it the "Pulse Blaster"

Comment

The iconic part of the the teammate powering gun is actually the linking part (which might happens pulsing). LinkGun is the best weapon name to feature vehicle healing, teammates powering, Bio Web creation, etc.. "Pulse" as the name is misleading. Gun is the generic name for any weapon, Rifle would suggest a scoping, precise-shooting weapon (yes, don't know why BioRifle is called Rifle tho).
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I can't wait to see this design evolve into the finished product!

Comment

LinkPulseBeamThing Gun.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

or Link Pulse Gun the Name

Comment

Not 'link gun'
                          I think "Pulse Gun" sounds a bit better. "Rifle" implies slightly different way of handling this weapon, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle for example:
                          A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel that has a helical groove or pattern of grooves ("rifling") cut into the barrel walls.
                          This weapon fires slow moving and clearly visible projectiles in primary mode (no real reason to use iron sights) or a limited range continious beam with which you lead the target (even less reasons to use iron sights). Sure it has a stock unlike UT99 version, but looks like it's mostly for balancing.
                          A "gun" is more general term, it's shorter, it's classic, and I don't think we have to worry about copyright protection claims from fictional military corporations. It even less sensitive to speaker's accent than "rifle", if that's important at all.

By the way, great concept, can't wait to see it implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam
                            I will be doing this the same way I did the Shock Rifle, letting you see the entire process from the beginning - even the painful blocking in and early rough poly stages. I welcome your comments, crits, questions, suggestions, paintovers, etc. as always. I've been following the other Link Gun modeling and concept threads and already plan to implement a lot of the suggestions and comments that are posted in those threads so I know a lot of design concerns and requests already.
                            Pete it's really exciting seeing you tackle this model. This is not my favorite Link design (that goes to jayoplus) but the openness and interactivity you have with the community is wonderful. I'm sure you will do awesome with this one and make a weapon we are all happy to have in the end.

P.S. Green Link all the way!

But this favour I have to ask you also has to do with the messaging and user experience, and how the users (especially new users) experience the weapon. It will involve breaking traditions and hurting feelings, but please, just consider it:
                            I really hate word repetition so having another 'Rifle' isn't too appealing to me. Shock Rifle, Bio Rifle (please rename this), Sniper Rifle... That's a lot of Rifles already. And, Link Gun has a lot of value in understanding the advanced function of the gun.
                            I'm not solidly opposed to the 'Pulse Gun' nomenclature but 'Pulse Rifle' does sound better, of those two.
                            We would need to rename the BioRifle though and 'Bio Gun' does not sound very good. (Alternate ideas like: Bio Mortar, Bio Blaster, etc. seem doable but functionality needs to come first).
                            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I am very happy with this iteration chosen, it's a great looking new weapon that fits with the UT vibe. I am also looking forward to some of the changes and suggestions that will take place with this weapon like the Shock Rifle, and hopefully, it will end up being the best LinkPulseRifleGun yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X