Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only crit like now is the 1p view the backpart (starting from rocket ammo cage and backwards) looks quite a lot bulkier/bigger than in both Gooba's concept as well as compared to the 3rd person view IMO which takes away a bit of the asthetic appealiness for me. I'd appriciate slightly bit smaller size of that part (especially not sticking out so much on the left side), the rocket barrels and loading mechanism looks perfect though and even the 3p view model looks fine. I get the feeling the backparts block too much of the view of the interesting front/midparts and rocket loading mechanism in 1p. It can be that you do have appropriately scaled it and it's the angle that fools me but I personally don't care much if slightly bit deriviating the settings in different cameras for the sake of making it look nicer.

That's why I also thought Gooba's first concept looked nicer in 1p due to the back part of the weapon had much more sleeker look so it emphasized the interesting front parts and loading mechanism of the weapon, IMO that's where the strength of the design is, you don't wanna hide that!
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-17-2015, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I do like the barrel expansion idea to tell when a rocket is loaded. Anyways I don't see how we can technically differ the launch of a rocket / nade from the model perspective, it's only sound and FX who tells what's going on.
      I would like to see a stylized exhaust pipe where some flames / smoke will appear, I know for the FP model it doesn't matter, but from viewing other players it will impact the FX as we will see smoke and flames coming from both sides of the launcher

Comment

I agree with RPGWIZARD. Maybe its an fov issue or something, but the gun looks very snub in the first person view. The short barrels makes it look like it would fire a slug. It could also be an issue of the gun having to much mass, it looks like it gained a lot of weight since goobas concept, and all the extra weight went into the ***.

The reverse angle grip looks super cool. I dont care if it would be uncomfortable to hold. The stock looks cool too.

Comment

The ammo compartment idea is great, looks like it'll work well with the articulated arm.
          Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

I like it, I'd like to see some caution-styled stripes on the barrels too. (much like the 2k manifestation of RL)
            > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
            > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
            > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

nice......

Comment

This forum is for art, if you want to discuss changing functionality of the Rocket Launcher you should go to this forum: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Weapon-Design

Comment

Goobas original concept was angled heavily upward so that you saw more of the barrels, I'm not sure what fov he rendered his base mesh at. That's the challenging part, Gooba's job is to make stuff look cool, even if it isn't 100% workable and my job is to make it 100% workable even if it doesn't look quite as cool. I break stuff visually to make stuff work then try to work back to the coolness of the original concept.

It is an fov issue and I definitely have some things to work out. I'm not quite sure how it will translate into the engine so that's why I'm ready to get a proto mesh and anims in the engine today. That will give me the info I need to balance the view and proportions between the two main halves of the weapon.

The new panini anti-fov distortion screen space fx is supposed to render the weapon around 90 fov but it definitely doesn't look like a 90 fov camera in max so it's hard to setup an identical environment and sync the two perfectly. Regardless, scaling these components is easy now that the bulk of the functionality is worked out so once we play with the proto mesh in game I'll know what to fix on my end and can visually match my max camera setup to a screenshot of the in-game setup.

Also, a reminder this is still super early, only 40% complete so we have plenty of time to get things right! Thanks for all the feedback!
                  Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                  Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                  Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Yeah, I've been rendering the base pass at 90 fov, but I think I moved the camera much higher than usual. I can't remember why though.

I just want second Yemyam's point of having to make everything 100% workable. It's pretty easy for me to make something look super cool in 2D, only to have it not work at all in 3D, especially when relating to both 1p and 3p views. I try to work out as much of that stuff as possible in the concept, but there are always details that change during the proto phase, and he has to make sure it all works together. Difficult indeed.

Like you said in your post, you had to cut things off to get in before deadline, so I will probably hold off on crits until those changes are in. Maybe the whole thirdperson model could be shrunk just a bit?

Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

I really find magazine just in front of players face distracting/bulky and not attractive. I did quick repaint in ps (sry, I cant even draw a straight line )
                      This is not exact shape gun should have, just an idea of proportions and detail scale. I even think magazine and rocket loading mechanism should be from right side of the gun (it will be still visible and huge magazine will not make guns proportions nasty and fat. Therefore we will have tons of space in the middle of gun (where I did repaint) to add cool details, ammo displays, coolers and other hi-tech stuff that will attract attention much more.

Attached Files

Comment

i hope this Weapon come in the next Build

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                          My only crit like now is the 1p view the backpart (starting from rocket ammo cage and backwards) looks quite a lot bulkier/bigger [...]
                          I don't know. It's a rocket launcher, it has to be big and massive. Also if you make the magazine part skinnier then it would look like the rocket box can't even hold at least 6 rockets, which I think it does now just barely (I could be wrong though, as it's completely different to see a side-face image and having the 3d model right in front of you; so it's up to YemYam to see if it works or not).

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Terg500; 07-17-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I would happily sacrifice some magazine logic, ot at least hide it on another side of gun to free up space for cool design and you are right rocker size is way too large, but it looks good

Comment

I personally not, but I rather make it believable and add some aesthetic when it's possible.
                              My only problem for the workability is about how the rocket gets extracted from the mag and gets in position as it seems nothing holds it before the pusher loads the rocket
                              Sorry if I might go deep into mechanics here, but the rocket holding is a bit visible
                              Last edited by BladeSword; 07-17-2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I know this is a little weird sounding to ya'll folks who have been around games like this for a while and are used to lot's of things going on on-screen, but I feel too much is going on with this model. Way too many moving parts for my taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X