Packaging problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packaging problem

I've made a level, but when I attempt to package it for sharing, it's coming out at a ridiculous 350 meg file size.

From what I can see, this is happening because it's copying duplicates of every asset used in the map into the package, even if they're assets everyone should have, from the restricted assets folder. How I do stop the editor from doing this? I've tried changing packaging settings (unchecking 'include prerequisites', removing the restricted assets folder from 'additional asset directories to cook) project settings menu, but it didn't have any effect.
    also known as Humphro

I just re packaged a 11MB map that took 30-45 min. !
    http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
    http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

That is just how UT maps work now, which is honestly a better system. Instead of downloading a map and then downloading a separate texture package for the maps, everything is now put inside the single .pak file. So any custom meshes or textures you make, are included in the .pak folder and can be distributed directly with the map. UT Edito does not know or care about what textures are considered default game textures and which ones are not. So everything you put into a map, will be duplicated and put into the .pak file. Even more so, if the game did know, it would just mean that as soon as Epic updates a mesh or moves it, it breaks your map. Now epic can make a mesh or texture, put it in the editor for a while, then decide they arent going to use it, remove the mesh but your map will still be just fine.
      PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
        Now epic can make a mesh or texture, put it in the editor for a while, then decide they arent going to use it, remove the mesh but your map will still be just fine.
        That's not entirely true.

Sure the old map you pak'ed a month ago will still work... At least until it's no longer compatible with the latest version of the game. But if you ever try to rebuild a new version of your map after the asset for that mesh is no longer in the editor it won't be in the new version of your map either.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post

Sure the old map you pak'ed a month ago will still work... At least until it's no longer compatible with the latest version of the game. But if you ever try to rebuild a new version of your map after the asset for that mesh is no longer in the editor it won't be in the new version of your map either.
          In fact, I have already had this problem, lost a bunch of progress to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post

Thats true, I was just looking at it more so from an released game stand point as once the game is gold this sort of scenario will not exist.
            PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
              Thats true, I was just looking at it more so from an released game stand point as once the game is gold this sort of scenario will not exist.
              No, that won't be much of a problem, but unless something changes, instead we'll have a bunch of huge map files that take forever to download, use up excessive amounts of drive space but are only so big because they all contain redundant copies of the exact same meshes, materials and etc., that many maps use.

A lot of the 2k4 maps would have been far larger if they didn't used shared packages for most of that stuff. Most 2k4 maps weren't much bigger than 12M or so and the few that were much larger (40-50M for a few) were you guessed it... The ones that contained a lot of custom content (mostly large textures) in the MyLevel package.

The biggest problem in this regard is with textures (the actual textures materials are made from, not the materials themselves). A single uncompressed 1024x1024 texture takes up IIRC something like 4M of space and that's just the base texture without any additional bumpmaps, uv maps or the like. A 2048x2048 texture is four times as big and UT4 can use textures as large as 8192x8192 (64 times larger than 1024x1024). Sure compression reduces those sizes, in some cases significantly, but they're still very large.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 08-03-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

This is not something that Epic will ever change now - I think another angle is that .paks are encrypted so no-one can pull apart the components you used for your map and reuse them or adjust them.

Having said that (and coming from me who more or less went UT99 --> UT4), the old UT99 file system is so, so, so so so much better than the .pak system of today. Every time I change a piece of code, I need to re-cook every map and get every other map-maker to re-cook their maps. Same for any texture change etc. What if 7 months from now I find a game-breaking bug in Assault code and quickly need to patch it? There could be perhaps 15-20 maps already out!

With so much duplicated, it is no wonder that the file-sizes are massive. That may not be a problem in itself, but if you're playing a competitive game or a pug or even a good quality pub, we now have to wait for players download to 300 (plus) meg files before people can start playing. Big big problem and really ruins the game flow. It's easy to say "well players should have the maps" but if you've played any previous UT games you'll know that this is not usually the case.

And then there's the simple issue of duplication integrity; as any programmer, designer or artist knows, duplication is always bad, as when something updates, you're never sure whether all the instances have been updated.

EDIT: Also I'd like to add that as game technology increases and the skill required to produce a good quality map rises, you will actually find that people will reuse assets more and more as they lack the capabilities to do it themselves. I would expect more asset sharing in this game than any UT game before it.
                Last edited by Urgamanix; 08-04-2015, 11:53 PM.
                UT4 ASSAULT - PROJECT OWNER
                UT4ASSAULT.COM
                ‚Äč

Forum Thread | UTA Discord | UTA Facebook
                UTA Steam Group | Email me

Comment

Urgamanix, I am pretty sure once the game is full release, maps will no longer need to be recooked for every code change or update. But the excessive amount of file sizes I could definitely see be a problem. You could easily need a 1TB HD to hold all the maps when this game really gets going.
                  PayBack

Comment

I really would like to hear from Epic on this. User made content is going to be seriously hamstrung if packages are going to require duplicates of all the content in them. 300+ meg downloads aren't going to fly.

What Urgamanix talked about - maps having to be recooked if any actor in them needs to be updated is arguably an even bigger problem. UE4 might be ready for AAA, but in its current state, I don't feel UE4 is ready for the kind of user made content environment that previous unreal games allowed.
                    also known as Humphro

Comment

Originally posted by Diode View Post
                      I really would like to hear from Epic on this. User made content is going to be seriously hamstrung if packages are going to require duplicates of all the content in them. 300+ meg downloads aren't going to fly.

What Urgamanix talked about - maps having to be recooked if any actor in them needs to be updated is arguably an even bigger problem. UE4 might be ready for AAA, but in its current state, I don't feel UE4 is ready for the kind of user made content environment that previous unreal games allowed.

... if this give you any perspective...

I just tested DM-WarHouse on my server this morning with ut.rushbase redirect to see how long a 241MB map would take and it took approx. 2:04 to download it and that was only 1 person demanding the download from the server!

so yeah, when your sitting there watching that dl bar it seems to be ... f o r e v e r !
                      http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
                      http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X