Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packaging process

Hello there!

I was wondering if it's normal that the "packaging" process in the UT4 editor takes so long?

I have a Core i7 3770 CPU, 12GB of RAM and a SSD and after 30 minutes it's still running.

It's stuck at:
    Code:
    LogPackageContent: Publishing: UE4Editor-Cmd: [2015.08.01-00.03.20:130][  0]LogSavePackage: Compressing from memory to 'C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UnrealTournamentEditor/UnrealTournament/Saved/Cooked/CTF-TX_Stamper/WindowsNoEditor/UnrealTournament/Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-TX_Stamper.umap'
    Is that normal? Do I have to wait this long?

That's normal. I have an i5 3750k, 16gb DDR3, etc, and it can take upwards of two hours to package a level for me.

Smaller stuff and less detailed levels take less time of course, but once you start adding in complexity the packaging time grows quickly (as does the file size).

Comment

I have the same experience with aniviron. I don't know what the hell it's doing, but the first cook on a map takes a long time. Though I've found that subsequent cooks take less time.

My problem with the cook is that it completely takes over the CPU so I can't really do anything else. I wish I could limit it to 99% utilization at least I could browse the internet while it cooks.
      DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Yea I figured that, thanks for the replies. Atleast my CPU still can breathe so I can still use my PC in the meanwhile. ;-)

Comment

My maps (about 12 MB total size when packed) seem to take around 10-15 minutes to pack. I'm on a Core i5 3570 overclocked to 4.2 Ghz but I only have a pathetic 8 GB of RAM. Both the RAM and CPU gets maxed out when I pack.
          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

The more assets (meshes, materials, blueprints, sounds, etc.) in the map the longer it takes to cook.

I can't say for sure but it seems to me that every time I edit an asset or add a new asset, the next time I pak it recooks everything in the map and takes forever. Once everything has been cooked it'll pak much faster until I edit or add another new asset again.

If you accidentally double click on an asset that opens up it's asset editor and the asset is then considered to have changed (even if you immediately close the asset editor without actually changing anything) so the next pak will take forever again.... There's a trick to get around that though, just quit UEd without saving the "changed" asset (it will ask you to save, just don't save it) then restart UEd and reload the map. Do save the map if you've made changes to it, just don't save any assets you accidentally opened.
            Last edited by MoxNix; 08-02-2015, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
              That's normal. I have an i5 3750k, 16gb DDR3, etc, and it can take upwards of two hours to package a level for me.

Smaller stuff and less detailed levels take less time of course, but once you start adding in complexity the packaging time grows quickly (as does the file size).
              Ah jesus, it really takes that long eh?

Packaging is required for play testing right? And seeing the map come up in UT etc?

I've got a basic map blocked out now and I would like to play test it with a few friends to see where it's nice and where it sucks. However it's been packaging for an hour now and I can't tell if the engine is doing something or just trolling me...

Does the fact it's purely blocked out with BSPs make a difference?

Also, how long did you wait in the end DoomedVash? My log is stuck on the same part yours was.

Edit update: Looks like my package got done in the end. Took about an hour on my rig (i5 3.1ghz 8GB) with something like 1,200 Basic BSPs. At least I have a gauge for how long it's going to take next time
              Last edited by TheGaffer; 08-07-2015, 03:47 PM.
              Learning UT Level Design. I also make music! https://soundcloud.com/thegaffer

Comment

Took like 40 minutes for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
                  Does the fact it's purely blocked out with BSPs make a difference?
                  Actually, IME the more meshes the longer it takes to build (lighting mainly). Pak'ing I'm not sure if takes any longer or not but it certainly isn't quicker.

Comment

Working...
                  X