Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First steps guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    First steps guide

    Hi, is there any good tutorial for beginners? I used to make huge amount of maps in Unreal Editor 2.0 for UT99. This new editor is very different and I just don't seem to be able to reuse any of my knowledge from past Unreal Editor so I am basically a complete newbie here.

    There is some built-in tutorial which however isn't always helpful. I would like to get at least answer to following questions:

    * Why are files in Editor inconsistent with game? When I play game I can't see stuff I create in editor. I even tried to change some classes and the behaviour was different in editor but in game the classes remained the same (weapon damage etc).

    * How can I create water? I made a water volume thing, it behave like water, but when I jump to it, vision is same, no water effect. I put a static mesh called "plane" on top to at least emulate the surface, but I didn't figure out how to resize it. When I scale it the texture of water is also scaled, which I don't want.

    * How can I create complex brushes? In old UT editor you could create some object from multiple BSP objects and then use a feature that created a brush from these, so that you could add complex semi-solid structures and decorate level with them. Elementary brushes in this UT editor seem to be very limited.

    * Is there a way to see brushes changes in real time without rebuild all time? It really consumes a lot of time to rebuild everytime I move a brush

    * How can I fill up LevelInfo (picture / author / music / recommended players) and publish the level into game?

    * How can I create teleporters?

    * How can I create movers?

    * Is it possible to create a decent level with no use of external 3d programs like it was in old editor 2.0 where we could create whole level just in the editor?

    * How do I properly insert textures to my level? In old UT you created a package and copied to Textures folder. Is it the same here?

    #2
    Originally posted by petank2 View Post
    Hi, is there any good tutorial for beginners? I used to make huge amount of maps in Unreal Editor 2.0 for UT99. This new editor is very different and I just don't seem to be able to reuse any of my knowledge from past Unreal Editor so I am basically a complete newbie here.

    There is some built-in tutorial which however isn't always helpful. I would like to get at least answer to following questions:

    * Why are files in Editor inconsistent with game? When I play game I can't see stuff I create in editor. I even tried to change some classes and the behaviour was different in editor but in game the classes remained the same (weapon damage etc).

    * How can I create water? I made a water volume thing, it behave like water, but when I jump to it, vision is same, no water effect. I put a static mesh called "plane" on top to at least emulate the surface, but I didn't figure out how to resize it. When I scale it the texture of water is also scaled, which I don't want.

    * How can I create complex brushes? In old UT editor you could create some object from multiple BSP objects and then use a feature that created a brush from these, so that you could add complex semi-solid structures and decorate level with them. Elementary brushes in this UT editor seem to be very limited.

    * Is there a way to see brushes changes in real time without rebuild all time? It really consumes a lot of time to rebuild everytime I move a brush

    * How can I fill up LevelInfo (picture / author / music / recommended players) and publish the level into game?

    * How can I create teleporters?

    * How can I create movers?

    * Is it possible to create a decent level with no use of external 3d programs like it was in old editor 2.0 where we could create whole level just in the editor?

    * How do I properly insert textures to my level? In old UT you created a package and copied to Textures folder. Is it the same here?
    For BSP editing there's a pretty good guide right here in the forums. https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...vel-Design-BSP

    Not sure what you mean by "files in Editor inconsistent with game". You do have to rebuild and share the whole map. Maybe that's your problem, you're just rebuilding but aren't sharing it (which also recreates the .pak file)?

    Water is kinda funky to do so it looks right and what looks good depends on a lot of different things. I'm not going to try to explain that here, especially since I haven't done a very good job of it yet myself (haven't really tried to yet).

    There is no intersect tool in UE4. However if you select a bunch of brushes and "create static mesh" that will do almost the same thing. The difference is it'll create a mesh instead of a brush and all the old brushes the new mesh was created from will be gone.

    Just don't rebuild all, rebuild only the geometry. It doesn't take nearly as long that way. If you're complaining about how long rebuilding geometry alone takes, then you're out of luck.

    Open Toolbar->Settings->World Settings, level info settings are in there.

    Teleporters, search for Teleport in the content browser. They work a little differently than old teleporters, the big difference is each teleporter has it's own separately moveable "destination" part. You don't need 2 teleporters for a one way teleport now.

    Movers involve matinees and blueprints. For basic, common movers like lifts and doors, at first, you're best off just using the generic ones that come with the game. Creating your own properly working movers (especially not interactive ones like doors and lifts) is not trivial.

    Yes it is possible, though it is recommended to use at least some static meshes, not just BSP.

    No it is not the same. Do a web search, there are plenty of online tutorials explaining how to import textures and create materials from them.


    Mostly you'll figure out the new editor by playing around with it. The editor panels you'll likely use the most are Modes, Details and Content Browser. Mess around with them, figure out what the different options do. If you can't figure something out, do a web search on it, the info is probably out there too. For a lot of things, info from UE3 is applicable too (in most cases either the same or very close).
    Last edited by MoxNix; 08-08-2015, 08:44 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      Not sure what you mean by "files in Editor inconsistent with game". You do have to rebuild and share the whole map. Maybe that's your problem, you're just rebuilding but aren't sharing it (which also recreates the .pak file)?
      At least for me, the game and the editor are in two separate folders, and each have their own version of UT, the game variant feeds of a cooked pak, while the editor comes with an actual directory of editable assets.
      Consequently, editing the editor's files won't affect the game because it doesn't use them.

      Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      Open the "World Outliner" tab from the "window" menu at top right. Level info settings are in there.
      There's also Toolbar->Settings->World Settings.

      Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      Yes it is possible, though it is recommended to use at least some static meshes, not just BSP.
      The reason is because BSP is generally ineffective in terms of vertices and triangles, and doesn't work well with lightmaps. Plus, its extensive use attracts goblins.
      Adding meshes just for the sake of it seems questionable for me, though.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Delfigamer View Post
        At least for me, the game and the editor are in two separate folders, and each have their own version of UT, the game variant feeds of a cooked pak, while the editor comes with an actual directory of editable assets.
        Consequently, editing the editor's files won't affect the game because it doesn't use them.
        The cooked pak gets put in the pak folder the game uses. The path should be something like

        C:\Users\username\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\MyContent

        Where username is the user name you're logged into the computer on.

        Originally posted by Delfigamer View Post
        There's also Toolbar->Settings->World Settings.
        Actually, that's the correct place to find world info settings. I got that one confused with something else that has a similar name. I'll fix that now in my earlier post so it doesn't confuse anyone.
        Last edited by MoxNix; 08-08-2015, 08:46 PM.

        Comment

        Working...
        X