X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Questions regarding smart usage textures

Questions regarding smart usage textures

Hi,

I'm a beginner regarding uedit and wanted to know if there are smart tricks regarding textures.

I imported a map from ut99 successfully, so it has ut99 textures.
    now, is there an easy way to swap 1 texture-"type" to a new HD texture?
    for example a floor texture what I switch for another and then all the textured items with that texture are swapped to the new one directly.

and, is there somewhere a way to download and install a HD texture folder what I can use in ueditor?
    you guys have tricks or maybe a tutorial somewhere?

much appreciated, I think i'm gonna like mapping

• replied
    Originally posted by Loque- View Post
    Does some of you have the files for me from "GameTextures Material Pack" for free on the Marketplace under the "Materials and FX" section?
    I've downloaded it but you have to link it to a project of uengine which i don't have.
    just the files so i could import should do

just download the UE, there is lots of free stuff on the LEARN TAB from the Epic Games Launcher which you can aswell then migrate to the UT-Editor. (and free community content on the UnrealEngine Forum)
    It will pay off installing the "main" Engine , even if you don't use it primarily.
    Last edited by barsam2a; 08-19-2015, 12:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    when coocked the map has no textures at all, even not when i give a surface a default uedit4 material
    sorry, don't know really what could cause that, take screenshots and write a post on the UE4 ANSWERHUB.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does some of you have the files for me from "GameTextures Material Pack" for free on the Marketplace under the "Materials and FX" section?
    I've downloaded it but you have to link it to a project of uengine which i don't have.
    just the files so i could import should do

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,
    now, is there an easy way to swap 1 texture-"type" to a new HD texture?
    for example a floor texture what I switch for another and then all the textured items with that texture are swapped to the new one directly.
    I don't think anyone answered this question. Right click on the surface, then go to Select > Select All with Same Material. This will highlight all surfaces with the same texture. Then you can change the material in the Properties tab, or drag your new material onto one surface and it should change all of them. Hope that helps!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by barsam2a View Post
    Then add the pack to an Unreal Engine Project and migrate ( https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Browser/UserGuide/Migrate/index.html ) it to the Content Folder of the UT-Editor.
    Hey, I downloaded the pack successfully but I dont have a UE project....
    Is there no way the files can be zipped and just paste in the Uedit folder?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sounds like something is seriously messed up with your editor installation. Did you edit any .ini file settings like say the DerivedDataCache path?

Might need to delete the entire editor folder and do a full reinstall from scratch.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thx barsama looks good

i'm really stuck at 1 point maybe you can help out
    i got an old map imported successfully in uedit with ut99 textures in it etc
    perspective mode and play mode gives me the right textures

when coocked the map has no textures at all, even not when i give a surface a default uedit4 material

what am i doing wrong :/

Leave a comment:

• replied

and, is there somewhere a way to download and install a HD texture folder what I can use in ueditor?
    Hi Loque, you can download the "GameTextures Material Pack" for free on the Marketplace under the "Materials and FX" section. (it's the last one)
    Then add the pack to an Unreal Engine Project and migrate ( https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Browser/UserGuide/Migrate/index.html ) it to the Content Folder of the UT-Editor.

You can use them then in the UT-Editor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thx for your answer Delfigamer, appreciated!
    Will look into things

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UE4, instead of showing texture bitmaps directly, uses materials, which are basically mathematical expressions composed of textures. It is possible to replace texture references within a material, and then all entities using it - like BSP surfaces and various meshes - will change in looks accordingly, even without any direct interference.
    Like its predecessors, UE4 stores its data assets, which include textures and materials, in its own format, so, unless your "HD texture folder" is already specialized for this specific engine, you will need to "import" these textures. Though, this is usually a pretty quick and painless process (especially compared to a certain procedure you'll have to do later).
    To actually show the textures in game, though, you need to either create your own materials, or insert them into existing ones.
    If you want to know more about this system, you can read some official documentation, or search for some "ue4 material tutorial youtube". Major parts from UE3 still apply there, so it may be useful to look at UT3 and UDK materials as well. And, of course, experimenting with the stuff yourself will help immensely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X