Where am I supposed to put new assets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where am I supposed to put new assets?

I'm about to add in a few custom (and placeholder) meshes and textures into my level. And just before I do it occurs to me that I have no idea where the new assets should be placed.

Back in the day I would add it into a "myLevel" package and have access to it and not have to worry about including additional files if I wanted to share my level. But now, I am not so sure. I have not seen a "myLevel" folder in the content browser, and when I import new content, it imports it directly into whatever folder is opened in the content browser.

One, I do not know how these folders are being structured, and I am unsure where I would want to put my new content. Two, I am unsure how I would try to package these assets so that they could be shared so I could get people to test out my map.

If it's in the map it will be automatically packaged when the editor creates the .pak file.

When you choose "share" in the editor, then share level or whatever it will package and compress all of the files into a single map package.

Comment

Well in that case, what I need is information on the proper way to share a map, because I had only tried zipping up the umap file.

Comment

There is a share button in the editor. The game content needs to be cooked and packaged before it can be distributed. If you are talking about sharing an EDITABLE version of the map, that's a bit different. You can export/migrate the assets to an empty project, which will retain the file structure and allow you to share the source files with other people. If you want a PLAYABLE version, you need to cook it. There is a share button above the viewports that will start the packaging process (share level). After it's done (which can take a really long time the first time you do it), you can find the packaged files in /unrealtournament/saved/stagedbuilds. (I use the git launcher, so it might be slightly different for you.)
        Last edited by cafe; 08-24-2015, 10:34 AM. Reason: added some more info

Comment

C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\MyContent <--------- this is where mine end up!
          http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
          http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Marscaleb View Post
            One, I do not know how these folders are being structured, and I am unsure where I would want to put my new content.
            You can place it anywhere you like. A good approach would be using a sub-folder named like your map/username.

Originally posted by Marscaleb View Post
            I am unsure how I would try to package these assets so that they could be shared so I could get people to test out my map.
            Packaging is just a button (as the previous poster already said). The engine itself adds any referenced asset to your package. Original content (which is shipped with the client build) is ignored for that process. Keep in mind, duplicated original content makes it being a unique custom content. In this case, your map can get really big.
            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Working...
            X