Lighting in UT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting in UT.

Hey everyone, I was wondering what variations of lighting UT levels use? Is it baked with shadow maps, or dynamic? Or a mixture of both? I would love to see some demos of the lighting in UT. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by rupee View Post
    Hey everyone, I was wondering what variations of lighting UT levels use? Is it baked with shadow maps, or dynamic? Or a mixture of both? I would love to see some demos of the lighting in UT. Thanks in advance!
    It's a mix. From all your lights in the map, you have 3 types:
    1. Static: shadows are built in the map (default type for a lights that doesn't move nor changes color during runtime)
    2. Stationary: shadows are built in the map, color can be changed dynamically
    3. Movable: completely dynamic, hence expensive

You can find examples of lights and setups in the Example Map in the editor.
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

I thought Stationary are more expensive due to dynamic shadows. A cap of max 4 stationaries/object and automatic demotion of excesses to movables kinda suggests that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Delfigamer View Post
        I thought Stationary are more expensive due to dynamic shadows. A cap of max 4 stationaries/object and automatic demotion of excesses to movables kinda suggests that too.
        I believe stationary lights, though they don't move themselves, do cast shadows on moving objects. In other words their shadows are a mix of baked maps (for non moving objects) and dynamic (for moving objects).
        Last edited by MoxNix; 09-04-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Not sure about that MoxNix, you may be right but my understanding was similar to Raste.

In any case, the UE documenation is really useful for this kind of thing, check out this page

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
            Not sure about that MoxNix, you may be right but my understanding was similar to Raste.

In any case, the UE documenation is really useful for this kind of thing, check out this page
            Yeah, I'm not sure about that, that's just how I always thought it worked.

Just a little further down under the "stationary lights" link on that page it says this...

"Direct Shadowing

Realtime shadowing of light sources has a major performance cost. A fully dynamic light with shadows will often cost twenty times (20x) as much to render than a dynamic light without shadows. For this reason, stationary lights have the ability to have static shadowing on static objects, but with some limitations."

Even further down under "Dynamic Shadowing" it says this

"
            Each movable object creates two dynamic shadows from a stationary light: a shadow to handle the static world casting onto the object, and a shadow to handle the object casting onto the world."
            Last edited by MoxNix; 09-04-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X