Swarm Remote Agent not doing anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swarm Remote Agent not doing anything

Trying to get the Swarm Agent working with 2 windows computers on my LAN. I have the Swarm Coordinator running on my main computer (named GAMING-PC) and a remote Swarm Agent running on a 2nd computer.

I configured groups, machine names, log verbosity and left everything else at default settings. The remote machine has plenty of space for cache files too (a lot more than the main machine).

I can ping the coordinator from both agents and the agents can ping each other too. Both machines show up in the Coordinator list. When I start a lighting build on the main computer the remote agent goes from "Available, unassigned" to "Available, assigned to GAMING-PC" though it does take a little while (maybe a minute, if that). But the remote agent never changes to "Working" like the agent on the main computer does and no status bars for the remote computer show up in the Swarm Status tab on either agent. The main computer winds up doing all the work anyhow.

When the remote agent first starts up I do get a log message "........ Certificate has failed check" but it continues on and initializes successfully.

The remote computer (Phenom II X4 B93) is only about half as fast as the main computer (i5 4690), has just 4G RAM (8G on the main machine) and it only has an HDD rather than an SSD but it's still another 4 cores I'd like to get working on lighting builds. Eventually I intend to overclock it (more), put 8G of RAM and an SSD in it too, but I want to get it working first.

Any idea what's wrong?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MoxNix; 09-07-2015, 08:06 AM.

Couple of things. Run the coordinator on a machine other than the machine you are using to build the map. Secondly the group names must be identical, you are using two different group names.
    PayBack

Comment

I've been wondering if this might have something to do with file sharing?

Google search turned this up: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...oes-no-wo.html

The last comment there says "Share the source folder of unreal engine in the computer that is not running the Swarm Coordinator."

I'm a complete newbie to administering a home network... How would I go about setting that up properly and securely?

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
        Couple of things. Run the coordinator on a machine other than the machine you are using to build the map. Secondly the group names must be identical, you are using two different group names.
        I had AllowedRemoteAgentGroup set to the other Agent's group.

But I tried it with both using the same name too... It wouldn't even assign that way. With different names I reversed the names for remote and local when I used 2 different names.

Also just recently tried building from the 2nd machine (the one the cooridinator is NOT on) and that didn't work either. It did show a bar for the main machine that way but it didn't actually do anything. I'll try it again that way right now, making sure both groupnames are the same (pretty sure I did that before though).

But I'm back to both remote and local having the same group name right now.

Attached Files
        Last edited by MoxNix; 09-07-2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

It's working from both machines now! The one running coordinator too!

It cut lighting build time roughly in half on the faster machine (even more on the slower one). That's awesome, even better than I expected.

Not sure if it started working because they're both in the same group now or because I created a homegroup a few minutes earlier?

Thanks Jay!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MoxNix; 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Ok, also has stated make sure the UT folder is shared and reachable. Also I ran into a lot of similar issues trying to get it running properly as well. I always just copied the DotNet folder onto a machine I wanted to add to the swarm and often times got similar results. I ended up just installing the full editor on each machine I wanted to add to my swarm. That usually seemed to fix any problems.
            PayBack

Comment

I did install the full editor from the start since I wanted to be able to build from that machine too.

Now I just need to get a better cooler for the 2nd machine so I can clock higher. Got it running 10% faster at 3.08 Ghz right now (220 FSB OC). I tried 15% (3.2Ghz / 230 FSB) for a bit, that worked fine too but core temps were a bit high so I turned it back down.

With a better cooler, I figure I can get at least 3.5Ghz (25% / 250 FSB) out of it, maybe more. Then I'll get 16G RAM and another 250G SSD for the main machine and use the 8G RAM and the smaller 120G SSD to upgrade the second machine.

Not bad for a machine I paid $100.00 CDN (about $75 USD) for, slapped in 4G of RAM and an old R7 5670 I had lying around.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 09-07-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Oh sweet, glad you got it working. It really is a PITA sometimes to get working. I currently have 3 machines in my swam now and man does it make a difference. I can do the lighting build on my map in about 2-4 minutes.
                PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                  Oh sweet, glad you got it working. It really is a PITA sometimes to get working. I currently have 3 machines in my swam now and man does it make a difference. I can do the lighting build on my map in about 2-4 minutes.
                  Any tips for startup order to make sure everything works smoothly?

Like should I put coordinator or agent first in startup and should I start up the coordinator before or after remote agents or does it matter?

Comment

I always start the coordinate first then I manually start the agent on each machine.
                    PayBack

Comment

Working...
                    X