Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The UT Level Design subforum is now live!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] The UT Level Design subforum is now live!

The UT Level Design subforum should be used for discussions about gameplay and level design in Unreal Tournament.

With some strong roots in the Level Design and mod community, I am personally very, very excited to see what everyone can create with the new UE4 toolset. Level Design in UT is the glue that brings together movement, weapons, abilities, gametypes, systems, visual style… and presents everything to the player in an interactive format. It’s where most people will go to discover the endless possibilities of design that make UT such a unique framework upon which nearly anyone can find a fun and rewarding gameplay experience. No pressure, right?!

This forum will be the place for showing off level prototypes, asking LD related questions, and sharing / collecting the sage advice of the players and designers across the community. Everyone is welcome to participate, and as the influence carries over from the evolution of the movement and weapon systems, I expect we’ll get some great discussions going here. As those systems are still in early development, it may be more difficult to get a grasp on scale, combat distances, movement abilities, etc. but I would still encourage anyone interested to start building now. Anything you create in the interim is going to be great practice, and the learnings we share here will benefit the community as a whole.

Please read these tips on how to be an effective design contributor:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...gn-discussions

We can’t wait to see what everyone creates!

- Jim Brown
    Last edited by Entropy; 11-17-2014, 02:48 PM.
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

Really looking forward to getting some level design done. Just waiting for a bit more structure to fall in place first.

Already have one or two ideas in mind!

Comment

This is really exciting Epic! I have a few ideas myself, I can't wait to be a part of the development process!

Comment

Wish we had movement more locked down, but I'm probably going to throw down some bsp and get a rough design anyways. Might as well practice in the new editor for a bit, anyways.
        --------------------------------------
        clstirens
        Level Designer

Comment

Thanks for leading the way on level design for this project, Jim! I've been playing arena FPSes forever, have a little bit of modding and professional dev experience, and this project is very exciting. Are there any plans to create test levels to experiment with movement and other basic mechanics?

Since it's such a large community project, I wonder if eventually it might be useful to have a reference level for designers to help them account for things like jump heights, dodge distances, character height, and all that.

Comment

Thanks for posting Jim. I still love you!

Comment

Super excited about getting started on something!!!

Comment

Glad to see that the forum got some structure.

I'm most likely going to wait until there is some gameplay and assets to work with before I eventually get my hands on a map.
                S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by evilmrfrank View Post
                  Super excited about getting started on something!!!
                  I'm super excited to see that evilmrfrank is super excited!
                  Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Good to see finally we have a specific sub forum!!!

Jim, I have one question for you, do we need to move the WIP map threads from the WIP forum or we just post new one here?
                    [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Originally posted by adobbs View Post
                      Are there any plans to create test levels to experiment with movement and other basic mechanics?
                      Yes! I plan on posting many of our experiments here, especially as the movement and weapon systems start to come into line. Once we move into full development on levels, I also plan on putting together tutorials and "best practice" examples so that everyone is working toward a common baseline, and can get an understanding of how and why we make the choices that we make.
                      Jim Brown
                      @EntropicDev
                      Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                        Yes! I plan on posting many of our experiments here, especially as the movement and weapon systems start to come into line. Once we move into full development on levels, I also plan on putting together tutorials and "best practice" examples so that everyone is working toward a common baseline, and can get an understanding of how and why we make the choices that we make.
                        You have some really good UE4 tutorials, any plans on "The Making of Deck-16" or something like that?

Comment

I think we should have level/map that is a photo gallery of EPIC's team that worked on the new UT, it could be a secret room.
                          History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                          UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                          UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                          UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Cannot wait to start work :P
                            Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                              I think we should have level/map that is a photo gallery of EPIC's team that worked on the new UT, it could be a secret room.
                              Nothing stopping them from hiding some amusing things in a room away from gameplay that takes some effort to activate. Would probably be entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                              X