Need help with old DM-Rankin textures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with old DM-Rankin textures

I wanted to make high res textures, original from ut2004 is 512x512 or 1024x1024 max, so what I did was add some sharpness to it and resize them, but it doesn't work well as I thought it would...

I used Normal Map material from UT3 export DM-RankinClassic, and used my "high res" export to create material, is there any tricks to make it look more realistic? They seem to be very muddy on close up, compared to other maps in UE4, I really wanna make good materials for it, add some realistic fxes to old textures to make it look 2k15, here is my WIP pictures:

note: I use GIMP!

Solved, the qualty of ut2004 was just poor, i simply recreated texture with high quality image, and save texture and normal map as png, got a perfect floor now, maybe i will make it more dark to look 2k4, but will see, I like it like it is so far!

Comment

Nice, would love a visually pleasing Rankin

Comment

Something to keep in mind- though some textures for UT4 are 1024 just like the UT2004 textures were 1024, the technique used is different. Look at the Humanoid Architecture floor you have there- it has 64 tiles stretched across a 1024 pixel area. A similar texture in UT4 might have as few as four tiles occupying the same space, and then be scaled so that the tiles are the same size on the floor as the UT2004 ones. The effect means that each floor tile in UT4 has far more pixel depth to it than a tile from UT2004.

The downside to this method is that the repeating pattern of the texture becomes easily visible, which is why UT2004 didn't use this method. In UT4, however, this can be counteracted through new techniques such as decal application and using advanced material options to differentiate the surface manually (look at the tile floor and walls in the lighting reflections demo Epic did for a fantastic example of this). The end result is that for the same video memory as UT2004, UT4 can get much higher effective resolution on a surface- just something to keep in mind. :]

Comment

the ut2004 1024x1024 is just poor quality. I used 2048x2048 picture of floor, and then recreated it so floor looks and has that "blocks" in it, with simple 2 layers of grid in gimp, it turned out "fine".

Since I am still in learning process I am satisfied how things are going, but I have problem where I can see line connecting with texture where it starts to repeat again, its not big mistake since I have only 2 floors, one with grid and second has abit different vector then grid, still no idea how am I gonna recreate it. I will have to literally draw it with some free vector program, I finished 3 months of graphics design and we used all adobe programs, but they are not free, so gimp is good replacement, but its not so much good program for creating vectors.

Comment

Working...
          X