Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dark environments - Lighting and visual clarity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark environments - Lighting and visual clarity.

There have been a few issues with visual clarity so far, and with the current crop of meshed maps being relatively bright (Lea probably being the darkest). I'm a little nervous about creating darker, moody environments. I was wondering if the Devs have any specific advice about maintaining clarity without having to blow out the lighting. I've been having issues with DM-Salt, especially with the tonemapper changes.

Just avoid dark enviroments and that's it?

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
      I've been having issues with DM-Salt, especially with the tonemapper changes.
      I've been having issues with darker environments too. It started with the build that brought in the r.tonemapperfilm changes. It's like the contrast between bright areas and dark areas is way too high. Practically impossible to get it looking good.

It's a lot more work but doing lighting the oldschool way with 2-3 lights per source, plus unsourced fill lights to fill in large areas and NO Skylight seems to work a lot better. Skylight (and possibly sun/moon type directional lights) seem to be what was screwing up my lighting.

My old lighting was working fine with skylight and a directional light for moonlight prior to the tonemapper change build.
      Last edited by MoxNix; 09-28-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I think it is possible to have much darker environments. I am actually working on one right now that is themed as a night-time castle-y environment with rain (possibly). It is sort of working out okay so far. You can still have very good visibility with good postprocess. One of hte key things I've found that really helps is the Ambient cubemap.

Hope that helps. ^_^
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

Comment

Having a ton of trouble with my dark map as well. It was sort of alright when I started working on it in 4.7, but the various engine updates have just made the contrast higher, and very difficult to work with. I've been finding that adding sourceless lights and more lights per source does help a bit like MoxNix says, but that has drawbacks too- now reflections are unrealistic and weird with floating points of brightness, and the light propagation is unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
            Having a ton of trouble with my dark map as well. It was sort of alright when I started working on it in 4.7, but the various engine updates have just made the contrast higher, and very difficult to work with. I've been finding that adding sourceless lights and more lights per source does help a bit like MoxNix says, but that has drawbacks too- now reflections are unrealistic and weird with floating points of brightness, and the light propagation is unrealistic.

Remember that if you're placing fill lights, it is usually better to uncheck "Use Inverse Square Falloff". This basically removes the whole floating points of brightness issue.
            MyArtstation
            @jayoplus

Comment

Indirect lighting is your friend :]
              :|

Comment

Working...
              X