Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Asset Lost During Packaging

Hello Everyone,

I have finished a map I want to package and share, but when I package it, some foliage meshes that I used from a purchased Unreal Engine asset pack lose their material and turn to grey checker. How can I organize the files to keep everything together and not lose assets while packaging to share?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Screenshot
    Attached Files
    Design | Production | Development

Portfolio: http://www.nickburnsdesign.net
    ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artist/nickburnsdesign
    Studio Website: http://skypyre.com/
    Behance: https://www.behance.net/nickburnsdesign
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0x...jPpwOaGvGTniAw

Make sure all your outside meshes are put into /Game/RestrictedAssets/Content. It looks like you didnt properly migrate the assets into the UT project folder as the meshes are unable to locate their textures. The file structure needs to be identical inside the UTproject as it was outside the project. The mesh will call on the textures based on where it was when the mesh was created.
    PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
      Make sure all your outside meshes are put into /Game/RestrictedAssets/Content. It looks like you didnt properly migrate the assets into the UT project folder as the meshes are unable to locate their textures. The file structure needs to be identical inside the UTproject as it was outside the project. The mesh will call on the textures based on where it was when the mesh was created.
      ... so your saying create a folder called "Content" inside the RestrictedAssets folder?

... I have a similar problem with the vegetation pack I found and installed and everything looks great until you click on it or add it to your level!

... I think there could/should be a better way to do this kind of stuff since no one puts proper installation instruction or include a good old "readme" file like the good old days!
      Attached Files

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

You probably should keep custom stuff out of restricted assets. As long as they're in the main Dir (/game) the engine SHOULD include what it needs when it cooks. As Jay said, it looks like you're missing some texture references. How did you add the assets to the project exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
          ... so your saying create a folder called "Content" inside the RestrictedAssets folder?

... I have a similar problem with the vegetation pack I found and installed and everything looks great until you click on it or add it to your level!

... I think there could/should be a better way to do this kind of stuff since no one puts proper installation instruction or include a good old "readme" file like the good old days!
          I had that same problem but I got it working by the way I said. You need to put the folders titled StatichMeshes, Textures and one other one directly into the Content folder. Do not create a folder called Content inside the RestrictedAssets folder I was mistaken when I said that, one already exists. Just put the base asset folders directly into the content folder for UT. Here I am using the same vegetation pack you are using, copy the 3 files in the same location where I have them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	341858

Think of it this way, all UE projects have a base directory for everything to be included in the game like meshes and materials. This is ALWAYS in the "C:\Game\Content" location. So lets say someone creates a new set of assets for UE. When they create those assets they are created in that folder location. When the assets are built, they are referencing objects at those locations.

So lets say you have a static mesh tree. This tree was made using UE and follows the standard path set.

First you have the static mesh itself. This is located at
          C:\Game\Content\StaticMesh\Tree\BigTree.asset

Now this tree also needs a texture. That is located at
          C:\Game\Content\Textures\Tree\BigTree.asset

Now the tree also needs a material. This is located at
          C:\Game\Content\Materials\Tree\BigTree.asset

Now those 3 parts put together all make up the full pretty looking BigTree that you want to put in your map. The full asset itself references those locations exactly. It doesnt have any ability to find them elsewhere. So if you put those assets into a different folder lets say

C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\Textures\Tree\BigTree.asset
          C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\StaticMesh\Tree\BigTree.asset
          C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\Materials\Tree\BigTree.asset

So what you are doing is putting them into a different folder structure than they were originally created for. Each asset by itself you can see and looks fine, however when you put the FullStatic Mesh BigTree into the game, the game looks at the asset and says ok I need a material and a Texture, the static mesh asset says I can find those at the following locations

However when the game tries to go to that location, they dont exist because you put them here:

Does that make sense now? Its a lot like how when you want to host a custom map on a server, you need to know the exactly location where the person who built the map had originally saved the map so that the game knows where to find the map within the .pak file.
          Last edited by PayBack; 10-09-2015, 09:41 AM.
          PayBack

Comment

I had that same problem but I got it working by the way I said. You need to put the folders titled StatichMeshes, Textures and one other one directly into the Content folder. Do not create a folder called Content inside the RestrictedAssets folder I was mistaken when I said that, one already exists. Just put the base asset folders directly into the content folder for UT. Here I am using the same vegetation pack you are using, copy the 3 files in the same location where I have them.

Think of it this way, all UE projects have a base directory for everything to be included in the game like meshes and materials. This is ALWAYS in the "C:\Game\Content" location. So lets say someone creates a new set of assets for UE. When they create those assets they are created in that folder location. When the assets are built, they are referencing objects at those locations.

So lets say you have a static mesh tree. This tree was made using UE and follows the standard path set.

First you have the static mesh itself. This is located at
            C:\Game\Content\StaticMesh\Tree\BigTree.asset

Now this tree also needs a texture. That is located at

Now the tree also needs a material. This is located at

Now those 3 parts put together all make up the full pretty looking BigTree that you want to put in your map. The full asset itself references those locations exactly. It doesnt have any ability to find them elsewhere. So if you put those assets into a different folder lets say

C:\Game\Content\Vegetation\StaticMesh\Tree\BigTree.asset

So what you are doing is putting them into a different folder structure than they were originally created for. Each asset by itself you can see and looks fine, however when you put the FullStatic Mesh BigTree into the game, the game looks at the asset and says ok I need a material and a Texture, the static mesh asset says I can find those at the following locations

However when the game tries to go to that location, they dont exist because you put them here:

Does that make sense now? Its a lot like how when you want to host a custom map on a server, you need to know the exactly location where the person who built the map had originally saved the map so that the game knows where to find the map within the .pak file.
            Thanks Jay!

.... I do understand all you mentioned but it came in a folder called vegetation so I thought that was the folder it was created in! ...and everything showed perfect! ... now if the editor can put all that together and display it in the viewport like its ready to use you'd think it would be able to say.... reassemble the reference packages to lock in the new location for use! <------- think someone should code this!

Now this leads to a 2nd question now! .... so if I download other asset packs I would put the mat., tex., meshes (etc., etc.) in those same folders that I created for the vegetation pack? ... providing that the asset pack had folders labled mat., tex., meshes.....!?

Comment

For the 2nd question, Yes you would as long as the new assets used identical named folders. As far as the first question I was always under the impression thats what the migrate tool did, but it would never work for me. This is the only way I was able to get those assets to work.
              PayBack

Comment

For the 2nd question, Yes you would as long as the new assets used identical named folders. As far as the first question I was always under the impression thats what the migrate tool did, but it would never work for me. This is the only way I was able to get those assets to work.
                Thank you again, that work like a charm!

... he had a couple more folders in that pack like particles I think for falling leaves or something ... might give that a try later!

Comment

Working...
                X