Doubt on Level Packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubt on Level Packaging

Hey all I'm new to the UT Editor and I have a question on packaging levels. Do I have to convert my BSPs to Static Meshes before packaging (for optimisation or somethin' like that) or does the packaging process take care of that? And if it does NOT do this, do the BSPs significantly affect filesize and the performance INGAME?

Thanks,
    Surya

You don't have to convert BSP to meshes and the game won't automatically convert them for you either. They'll just be BSP brushes in the map.

Unless you go really crazy with super complex BSP it'll probably perform better than it will meshed. Meshes are better for performance but they also tend to be a lot more detailed, fully meshed maps tend to have orders of magnitude more polygons and vertices than BSP maps.

And filesize, that's mostly about the materials (or more accurately the textures that make up materials). Stick to stock materials from RestrictedAssets and the file won't be very big but adding just a few custom materials (especially complex ones) can very quickly make it huge.
    Last edited by MoxNix; 10-16-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot Mox. I was really confused regarding this issue earlier as many online resources for UE4 stressed on converting BSPs to Meshes before compilation. None of them deal with makin' a map/mod with the Editor though, all of them just targeted standalones made from the Engine itself. I was just wonderin' about this as the UT Editor felt exactly like UE4, only with UT4 Content and Assets. After all, even you've just mentioned that Meshes are 'better for performance', and the ones needed for a map blockout won't exactly be have too many polygons, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Surya Sel View Post
        Thanks a lot Mox. I was really confused regarding this issue earlier as many online resources for UE4 stressed on converting BSPs to Meshes before compilation. None of them deal with makin' a map/mod with the Editor though, all of them just targeted standalones made from the Engine itself. I was just wonderin' about this as the UT Editor felt exactly like UE4, only with UT4 Content and Assets. After all, even you've just mentioned that Meshes are 'better for performance', and the ones needed for a map blockout won't exactly be have too many polygons, right?
        Technically yes meshes are better for performance than BSP brushes, but if the meshed version of a map has thousands of times more polygons and vertices than the BSP version, the BSP version is probably going to perform better... See Titan Pass vs Outside or Outpost vs Circuit (finished maps with meshes and complex materials vs BSP shell blockouts of the same maps with simple materials and almost no meshes).

Most use BSP for blockout and only start meshing seriously after the layout and initial gameplay testing is pretty much done. Take a look at the maps in RestrictedAssets/Maps and it's sub-folder WIP (Work In Progress, IOW unmeshed shell blockouts).

Comment

Yeah, I think the take away is that static meshes are better for performance than EQUALLY detailed BSP. I think the biggest advantage is memory usage. If your map isn't very complex geometrically or visually the performance difference between bsp and static mesh will be negligible.

Comment

I'm completely new to the Editor (or any map/mod editor for that matter) and I'm just tryin' to pull up a simple CTF map to learn the ropes.
            So as long as I use only stock assets and blueprints from Restricted Assets and Starter Content, I can work with and publish as BSPs right? (Without hurting performance or bloating it obviously)

(I still have got a lot more queries regarding Level Making which I'll be askin' here later... the level of community support here is amazing )

Comment

If you are brand new to mapping, I'd stick to BSP. I'm not sure what you mean by "stock assets" but if you are including meshes in that, then you might want to reconsider. Using meshes, imo, is more complicated. Don't worry about performance problems too much as a first time mapper. The most likely source of performance drops in your case will be from overusing stationary lights (as opposed to static lights). So mostly, as long as you are mindful of that, it will be difficult for you to mess up the performance of a map too badly.

Comment

By assets, I was referring to everything that comes bundled with the vanilla installation of UT Editor, right from Meshes to Materials to Sound Effects. Why, will it make a difference?

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                The most likely source of performance drops in your case will be from overusing stationary lights (as opposed to static lights).
                Thanks for the tip . Any more advice like that I should consider while making my map?

Comment

Originally posted by Surya Sel View Post
                  Any more advice like that I should consider while making my map?
                  A big pot of coffee and a selection of classical music to fire neurons. This trusty method gave the human race The Renaissance.

Go with the caffeine, my friend - and walk amongst the gods.
                  Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                  X