Corridor width? Suggestions Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corridor width? Suggestions Please.

I have been playing around with level designing recently and i want to know what size to make my corridors, I'm not sure if there is a standardized size like for example 1.2 meters Or if i should be doing it by feel?

It depends on the case, sometimes you want some tight space, others a large. However I'd advise 500 - 1000 or so. I wouldn't go under 400, and above 1000 it becomes more of a room than a corridor. If you're unsure about scaling check out Epic shells (ASDF is a great example).

Hope that helps

Comment

I was hoping to get something in similar range to this size. I think its about 500 width however it looks bigger maybe because its tapered towards the bottom but theses epic shells you speak of? what are they?

Attached Files

Comment

You can find them in RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP. DM-DeckTest might help you work some stuff out since the space is similar.

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
          It depends on the case, sometimes you want some tight space, others a large. However I'd advise 500 - 1000 or so. I wouldn't go under 400, and above 1000 it becomes more of a room than a corridor. If you're unsure about scaling check out Epic shells (ASDF is a great example).

Hope that helps
          Sounds about right... Going a little further, I'd say 400 for tight corridors, 600-800 for "normal" corridors and 1000 for wider ones. You might want to go even smaller or even bigger in special cases but too much of either probably wouldn't work very well on most maps.

I'd also say if it's much wider than about 800 or so (and especially if it's very long) players will probably complain it's too big or too flat unless you add some vertical variation to it (even just a few steps or slightly raised platforms can help a lot with that). Over 1000 it almost certainly needs some verticality (getting big enough to be considered a room even).

I think ASDF is a great example too. For larger maps Temple, Cannon and SidCastle are good examples.

Oh and those Deck corridors are actually pretty wide. In UT4 DeckTest they're 1000 uu at the bottom but they feel smaller because the walls taper inward as they rise. IMO to get a similar feel with straight walls 800 uu is about right.
          Last edited by MoxNix; 10-17-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X