Duplicates of umap files retaining old data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicates of umap files retaining old data

This one is a bit tough to explain but it's an issue I've run into a few times. I'll start with my workflow. Let's say I create prototype Map_A.umap. Pak it, release it and then do a Save As to create Map_B.umap and continue working... This is done for backup purposes as well as recording changes. Once in a while map B will still have old asset data in it. Here's an example:

Map_A has a ground mesh imported from Blender. Paked and released no problem. I start working on Map_B. I update the ground mesh in Blender. It's larger. The new version is Reimported (right click on entity, Reimport) as the same file in the Content Browser, and the same static mesh actor is in Map_B and Map_A. (This may be reimported many times as I tweak things and iterate... but it's still the same entity in the content browser)

Now when I pak and release Map_B, in-game still shows the original version of the ground mesh from Map_A. It looks correct in the editor. This has happened multiple times and the only thing that fixed it was to delete the mesh from the content browser, reimport the FBX as a whole new entity, delete the static mesh actor in the map, and drag the new entity into the map as a new actor.

It's not only meshes, this happened with a Material I made. Version F of my map had this material, I made some changes to the same material entity in the browser and version G did not reflect these changes. Instead it had some older version of the material, which cannot even be accessed in my content browser because it was changed. I had to duplicate the material, delete the old one, and reassign the new material to my meshes.

Another note is that this bug is not apparent until you play the pak in-game. Everything looks fine in the editor. This can cause some serious differences between what is seen in the editor and what is seen in-game. Has anyone else run into this problem? I hope I explained myself well enough.

Edit: Sorry, if this should be in the bug Report section it can be moved. I did not know there was an editor subforum over there.
    Last edited by tidu; 10-24-2015, 04:43 PM.
    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Have you tried "fix redirectors"?

Sometimes that helps with similar issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      Have you tried "fix redirectors"?

Sometimes that helps with similar issues.
      Thanks for the tip. It does sound like it's related to that. But I tried all that I could, eventually I dug through the actual directory the assets are stored and found the old asset. I deleted it, as well as a redirector to the asset I found in the latest version's asset folder... but nothing, my new paks still have the old material data. Right now the only way I can fix this is by deleting the mesh on my map and bringing in a new one. The mesh even has the new material assigned, and it looks correct in the editor, but in game it has the old material. I don't know where the game is getting this old data from. Thanks for the help though!
      DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Do you still have all the older versions of maps you pak'd still in your "MyContent" folder? .... I make it a point to remove all older versions of any map as it seemed to me at times that would happen until I removed them! ... also, dbl check your dl pak folder to make sure all gone from there too! ... I always remove my copy from the "MyContent" folder after sharing/pak'ing a map just to test redirect just to make sure its working properly!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Please use Dulpicate files deleter,it is very simple to use. But make it sure to keep the important files in back up.
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X