This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention Map Makers: Format for posting your map *Read First*

Being that this game is pre-alpha a lot of the built in features that will make this game easy to run on servers come full release are not yet available. Admins running servers need to make several changes and verify a bit of information before we are able to successfully run your custom map on one of our servers. For me at least, this generally means that unless your map looks really well done, chances are I am not going to bother with the process of setting it up on my server. Ive wasted hours setting up maps that ultimately were flawed and or had issues that forced me to take them down.

So being that, you as a map maker can help us server hosting guys by doing a few simple things that will ensure a broader distribution of your map on customer content servers. The vast majority of the information we need, you as the map maker already have. We really need 2 big pieces of information, 3 if you want to be generous.

1. The file path! When you cook your map, the file path of where to find the map information is based on where you saved the map within YOUR UT folder. Some mappers try to stick to a standard of /Game/Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-Example.umap. Others however will follow their own structure path like /Game/Content/CTF-Thorns/CTF-Thronsv999129.umap. When we are setting up our servers to run your map, we NEED to know this path. We can determine it using several outside methods, but ultimately if you just posted that path when you post your map, it would save us a ton of time.

2. A valid http download site. Please do not post links to download your map using dropbox or have the file in a zip folder. The map is already compressed in the .pak no need to zip it further. When we setup our servers, we need to create a redirect statement that tells people joining our server to play your map exactly where they can download it from. The majority of people use https://redirect.mpforums.com/ut4/, its free and fast. So when you post a link in your post to download your map, please try and use this hosting service or something similar. If we cant go to http://website/something/ctf-yourmap.pak and download it, we cant host it on our server using your link. If we need to click on a link similar to an acceptance agreement, we cant use the link. Which means we then need to rehost your map somewhere else to use it on our server.

3. The third one I dont expect many people to have but if you do its a nice extra help. Every map hosted on a server needs an MD5 hash calculated for it. This is used so that a client can tell if they have the exact same version of a map on a server. If the hash on the server matches the hash for the file they have, they dont download it. If they dont match, they download the file. There are some easy and free programs available, I personally use "WinMd5". This takes just a few seconds to run but again, if you include this with your map when you post it, it saves me time and makes me more likely to host your map.

So here is an example of what we need when hosting a custom content map:

RED=FILE Path on the computer where your .umap was stored when the .pak file was created.
    GREEN= The name of the .pak file after its been cooked.
    ORANGE=The web URL where people can go to download your file, make sure you DONT include the http/https in the this line.
    BLUE=The MD5 Checksum, calculated based on the .pak file of the map.

MapRotation=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-MAPNAME/CTF-MAPNAME
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-MAPNAME-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/payback/CTF-MAPNAME.pak", PackageChecksum="1dd9d691d72e7348769d4e513b68011d")

If you provide the information in exactly this format when you post a map, it will take me all of 2 minutes to include your map on my hub. If you dont do this, unless you have a really good looking map with lots of good reviews, chances are most server admins will just skip over it. We are getting a lot of new maps posted daily, the map making community could literally save the server hosting guys hundreds of hours a week by posting this simple information that they already have.

For the rest of your post regarding your map, lots of pretty pictures and descriptions along with design insight is great.

Relevant Links:
    https://redirect.mpforums.com/ut4//
    http://www.winmd5.com/

**Update**

It seems some people are having trouble understanding the file path and why it is needed. When UT cooks a map it creates a snapshot/archive folder of all the content that is used to build that map. All this content must reside within the "Content" folder of UT. So it doesnt matter what hard drive or what name you used for your UT folder, all that matters is the file structure after the "Content" folder.

For example I have the UT Editor installed here C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\. That means everything I use to build a map, will be stored within the UT file structure somewhere inside the "Content" folder. For example C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\MYMAP\MyMAP.umap. In the world of UT everything that it ever uses to present the world, things like textures, static meshes, maps and so on, must live inside the "Content" folder. So as far as UT is concerned, it doesnt care where you install the game or the file path that exists before the "Content" folder. All that matters it that "Content" folder and whats inside of it. So when you cook a file, you create a pak file that is nothing more than a compressed archive of all the static meshes, textures, umaps that are used to create the map. All of this stuff exists within the "Content" folder. So to save space/time and how the game is programmed that means C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\ = /Game/.

So lets use an example

I have a map that I am working that I have saved locally at this location:
    C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\MYMAP\MyMAP.umap

When I cook the map, the only thing UT cares about is what is inside the Content folder. This includes things like static meshes, textures and the .umap file itself. All those things are cooked into the pak file. So looking below, the Italics parts dont matter to the server admins or to UT, what matters is the bold part.
    C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\MYMAP\MyMAP.umap

So once the map is cooked, I need to know how do I find that umap file within the .pak file. Since it only cares about the path once inside the content folder the path to that I need to tell my server on where to find the umap is
    /Game/MyMap/MyMap.umap.

If for example I saved my map to the following location
    C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\RestrictedAssets\Maps\MYMAP\MyMAP.umap

Then to tell the server where to find the umap I would use
    /Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/MyMap/MyMap.umap

C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\ = /Game/

It doesnt matter where you installed the game or what your file path looks like on your computer. All that matters is that you tell us the file path after the content folder. The admins need to be able to tell the server where to find the .umap file inside the .pak file. This file structure is a copy of your file structure on your computer that exists after the "Content" folder. That is why we need you to tell us how you structured the pak file.
    Last edited by PayBack; 07-15-2016, 08:43 PM.
    PayBack

Good idea with this, this would definitely help a lot & make the process quicker. People want maps on servers but sucks when it takes 5-10 minutes just to add a map or 2 because we have to find all this info & write it down.

Comment

Really useful, stickied.

Comment

No problem, it's good to get this information out there!
        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

If everyone used rushbase, that would also simplify things a bit further and redirect performance should be a more consistent experience also. On top of all of the ini editing, if I have to download a map and move it to a decent redirect like rushbase, it's prolly not going to end up on my server unless it is really good. Generating an MD5 is also easy (there are even web-based calculators) for the map creator, less so for the server admin who has to grind through several maps.

If I put my own maps up on the forum, I will definitely provide all of the pertinent info since I know what a pain it is for admins.
          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I've been posting server configuration info in the forum threads for all my maps for a while now. It made a big difference in the number of downloads the maps get.

K.I.S.S. If you make it easy for server admins to install your map, it's more likely they will install it. The more servers it's on, the more downloads, hopefully leading to more and better feedback.

For the path, I think putting the umap in Content/maps is best. It's almost a standard anyhow, most engine demos and many maps already place the maps there. And more importantly for the mapper you don't get custom content mixed up with Epic content like you might if it's in RestrictedAssets... Keeping custom content (all of it, assets too, not just the umap) separated from stock content makes things a whole lot easier if you ever need to reinstall the editor from scratch too.
            Last edited by MoxNix; 10-27-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Yes this would help a lot! ... the one step I dread the most is getting the map location or file path for Map Rotation!

I don't mind doing all the rest as it's basically copy/paste unless you have to upload it to your redirect!

I'm pretty much on auto pilot now when I get a new map to add to our servers!
              http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
              http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

This is really useful info to know, I had no idea it was a hassle admin-side to get maps working. Will definitely be posting this info with map updates from now on. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Here's a link to a Winmd5 program:

http://www.winmd5.com/
                  UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                    This is really useful info to know, I had no idea it was a hassle admin-side to get maps working. Will definitely be posting this info with map updates from now on. Thanks for the heads up!
                    It was actually your map that inspired me to make this post. CTF-Buried. I was like **** this is a really nice looking map, Im going to throw it on my server. Then I went to download it and it was a zip file on drop box so I just gave up.
                    PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                      It was actually your map that inspired me to make this post. CTF-Buried. I was like **** this is a really nice looking map, Im going to throw it on my server. Then I went to download it and it was a zip file on drop box so I just gave up.
                      Oh! Well, if you don't want to wait for the next map update, I'll just post the info now. I'd love to have the map see some online play, and find out what other people think of the gameplay, and see how it runs.

The file path is C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\RestrictedAssets\Maps\WIP\CTF-Buried_b1_u5.umap and the filename is CTF-Buried_b1_u5-WindowsNoEditor.pak .

The MD5 is 4E2BD0DD65CD7C6E99382F7949CC24DA (a little googling found http://onlinemd5.com/ which lets you calculate MD5s if you're the sorta person who hates having more software on their computer like me)

I'm in a bit of a sticky spot for the file hosting though. I've got a rushbase account that has worked for me in the past, but when I try to upload anything right now it stays at 0% for at least an hour, and trying to click anywhere on the page causes Firefox to hang. I use a few file hosts online, but every single one of them requires a clickthrough to actually download. Do you know of any other sites that might work for redirect hosting?

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                        1. The file path! When you cook your map, the file path of where to find the map information is based on where you saved the map within YOUR UT folder. Some mappers try to stick to a standard of /Game/Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-Example.umap. Others however will follow their own structure path like /Game/Content/CTF-Thorns/CTF-Thronsv999129.umap. When we are setting up our servers to run your map, we NEED to know this path. We can determine it using several outside methods, but ultimately if you just posted that path when you post your map, it would save us a ton of time.
                        What exactly you need for the map path? Here is the path where the map I'm currently packing is located on my computer:

D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap

What information do you need for the file path?

In this case, it would be:

MapRotation=UnrealTournament/Content/Maps/CTF-Highpoint/CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap

Correct?

Map Assets (materials) are here:

D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\MapAssets

With the textures for the materials themselves kept here:

D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\MapAssets\Textures
                        Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 10-27-2015, 06:02 PM.
                        UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

It the UT world /Game/ is the unreal tournament content folder. So for example here is where I have the UT editor installed.

C:\UnrealTournament\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\RestrictedAssets\Maps = /Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/

It doesnt matter what you have before the Content folder, all that matters is where the file lies within the content folder.

So for yours

D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap = /Game/Maps/CTF-Highpoint/CTF-Highpoint-v010

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\RestrictedAssets\Maps\WIP\CTF-Buried_b1_u5.umap = /Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/CTF-Buried_b1_u5

But if thats not making sense, just putting the full file path like you did is enough for an administrator to figure it out.
                          Last edited by PayBack; 10-27-2015, 06:12 PM.
                          PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                            What exactly you need for the map path? Here is the path where the map I'm currently packing is located on my computer:

D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap

What information do you need for the file path?

In this case, it would be:

Correct?

Map Assets (materials) are here:

D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\MapAssets

With the textures for the materials themselves kept here:

D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\MapAssets\Textures

I can see this being real confusing for the most part and I'm starting to think that this is best done by server owner/admins themselves!

in your case above I believe the correct line for your map in map rotation would be....

MapRotaion=Game/Content/Maps/CTF-Highpoint/CTF-Highpoint-v010

...and of your assets we don't need them as they are cooked in the map!

... this is why I will probable just do it myself to ensure everything is set up correctly!

.... and to let everyone know, I will download your map, unzip it, re upload to my redirect (if you don't use a file hosting that can be used) and add it to my servers upon request!
                            http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
                            http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

OK, so is this how you want it, Jay? Here's the goods for my newest map, ready for release as of today (formal announcement coming soon):

RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-Highpoint-v-102715-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageURLProtocol="http",

PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper/CTF-Highpoint-v-102715-WindowsNoEditor.pak"

PackageChecksum="3c4e0b980a9441a4bdbda1064508888d")

File on my computer: D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap

My Rushbase: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper Map Direct Download link: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapp...wsNoEditor.pak

Comment

Working...
                              X