Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just in case you need to know the path of an existing pak file (without having UT installed or not being able to start it):
    How to retrieve the map name/URL from pak files (short: list all maps)

Works with multiple maps in a pak file, drag and drop from the Explorer, the command prompt/bash in Windows/Linux/Mac (Python required).
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
      RED=FILE Path on the computer where your .umap was stored when the .pak file was created.
      GREEN= The name of the .pak file after its been cooked.
      ORANGE=The web URL where people can go to download your file, make sure you DONT include the http/https in the this line.
      BLUE=The MD5 Checksum, calculated based on the .pak file of the map.

MapRotation=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-MAPNAME/CTF-MAPNAME
      RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-MAPNAME-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/payback/CTF-MAPNAME.pak", PackageChecksum="1dd9d691d72e7348769d4e513b68011d")
      I wouldn't propose using colors at all. Occasionally, while using different themes on this forum, the specific infos can be missing due to the background having the same color.

The Ini section should also be encaped with the [code] [/code] BBcode tag. Non code text is formatted by the forum parser and might not work flawlessly (additional spaces).

There is also a way to create these inis automatically by running a command on the server.
      Originally posted by https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Servers_%28Unreal_Tournament%29
      The UTGenerateRedirects commandlet is available to generate RedirectReferences entries. The commandlet generates the MD5 checksum so that you don't have to use a tool like WinMD5.exe or md5sum to calculate it.
      Here's an example commandline to generate an entry for DM-NickTest2:
      Code:
      UE4Server-Win64-Test.exe UnrealTournament -run=UTGenerateRedirects -Package=DM-NickTest2-WindowsNoEditor -WebAddress=https://s3.amazonaws.com/unrealtournament/DM-NickTest2-WindowsNoEditor.pak
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Why do you need the local map path?
        I'm not bothered about giving it, I just want to know what use it is to a admin?

Comment

Because the engine uses this to load the map. Think of a pak as an archive that contains all the assets that are needed for the certain map and it keeps the folder structure used by the mapper. The game does not know where is the actual umap file it needs to load, so admin has to provide it. Remember archives with UT2004 maps that had all stuff sorted into folders? Pak does the same, except here map may not be in Maps but somewhere else.
          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
            Because the engine uses this to load the map. Think of a pak as an archive that contains all the assets that are needed for the certain map and it keeps the folder structure used by the mapper. The game does not know where is the actual umap file it needs to load, so admin has to provide it. Remember archives with UT2004 maps that had all stuff sorted into folders? Pak does the same, except here map may not be in Maps but somewhere else.
            Thanks, so if I understand this right, if I put asset in somewhere odd i.e. a folder called PINK then when players down load the map off the server they end up with a folder called PINK? If so this could get very messy

Comment

Never did understand why the archive header doesn't have a field containing the path to the umap. Then the game and server could simply read the path from there and server admins would have one less thing to worry about.

A bit trickier to implement well but the server could automatically generate MD5 hashes for maps too... Regardless if there's a redirect path for it in the configs or not. Might not be a bad idea to check the hash to prevent version mismatches between the server and client too.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 10-28-2015, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyNick View Post
                Thanks, so if I understand this right, if I put asset in somewhere odd i.e. a folder called PINK then when players down load the map off the server they end up with a folder called PINK? If so this could get very messy
                Fortunately not, all downloaded maps end up in C:\Users\admin\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\DownloadedPaks

no Expert here
                , but this is the path-file my downloaded maps from various servers show up (ALL of them, regardless if DM-xxxx.pak or CTF-xxxx.pak)
                and looks like it, that also custom gamemodes get saved there. (like LTS-GameMode-WindowsNoEditor.pak)
                Last edited by barsam2a; 10-28-2015, 05:58 AM.
                WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
                Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

Originally posted by barsam2a View Post
                  Fortunately not, all downloaded maps end up in C:\Users\admin\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\DownloadedPaks

no Expert here
                  , but this is the path-file my downloaded maps from various servers show up (ALL of them, regardless if DM-xxxx.pak or CTF-xxxx.pak)
                  and looks like it, that also custom gamemodes get saved there. (like LTS-GameMode-WindowsNoEditor.pak)
                  If that is the case why is the local path needed? I'm trying to understand the issue.

Comment

No, user just get the same pak file, however that PINK folder will exist inside the pak.
                    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                    - RenegadeRetard

Comment

No, user just get the same pak file, however that PINK folder will exist inside the pak.

I see, so the game looks into the PAK for the folder PINK and pulls the asset from there. If that is the case why do you still need the local path if all the info is in the PAK?

Comment

No. pak files are just archives containing the umap files and a bunch of other stuff... The folder PINK would be inside the pak file and contains I dunno, probably elephants or something.

I see, so the game looks into the PAK for the folder PINK and pulls the asset from there. If that is the case why do you still need the local path if all the info is in the PAK?
                        The umap file references everything else relative to it's own path. The engine doesn't know the path to the umap so you have to tell it where the umap is. Once it knows that it can find everything else.
                        Last edited by MoxNix; 10-28-2015, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                          OK, so is this how you want it, Jay? Here's the goods for my newest map, ready for release as of today (formal announcement coming soon):

MapRotation=UnrealTournament/Content/Maps/CTF-Highpoint/CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap

RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-Highpoint-v-102715-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageURLProtocol="http",

PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper/CTF-Highpoint-v-102715-WindowsNoEditor.pak"

PackageChecksum="3c4e0b980a9441a4bdbda1064508888d")

File on my computer: D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap

My Rushbase: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper Map Direct Download link: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapp...wsNoEditor.pak
                          Everything looks good except for the map rotation. Replace "\UnrealTournament\Content\" with "/Game/". Also you dont include the .umap extension on the end as the game already knows its look for a .umap file.

It took me a little to wrap my head around as this is something that as a non programmer or anything else I never encountered before. But think of it this way. When UT launches and starts running it has its own world. Everything that is presented for you to see in this world resides "D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\". So as far as the game is concerned, the only place it will ever look for information on how to build its world, it will find it inside the Content folder. UT does not care about anything else or any other location on your computer to find content that is used to build the UT world. Because of this, anytime you are referencing something that will be used and presented as the world of UT, you can shorten it to /Game/. Using "/Game/" is the same thing as using "D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\", however in the UT world, you MUST use "/game/".
                          Last edited by PayBack; 10-28-2015, 09:04 AM.
                          PayBack

Comment

I think I'm gonna do it by first posting my map announcement and then posting the Server Admin info in the first reply, which can be easily updated as new versions are released. Right now the first reply looks like:

Server Admin Stuff for 10/27/2015 build:

MapRotation=/Game/Maps/CTF-Highpoint/CTF-Highpoint-v010
                            RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-Highpoint-v-102715-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageURLProtocol="http",
                            PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper/CTF-Highpoint-v-102715-WindowsNoEditor.pak"
                            PackageChecksum="3c4e0b980a9441a4bdbda1064508888d")

File Path on My Computer: D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Highpoint\CTF-Highpoint-v010.umap

My Rushbase: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper Map Direct Download link: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapp...wsNoEditor.pak
                            UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Problem is that pak does not have any registry that says "umap file is stored here", so the server needs an exact path to umap inside the pak. Since server cannot extract it itself, it has to be specified by admin, which in turn means that admin has to check that pak file and extract that information, a quite tedious and lengthy process. Yet for a mapper to provide this info it's just another 30 seconds.
                              - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Problem is that pak does not have any registry that says "umap file is stored here", so the server needs an exact path to umap inside the pak. Since server cannot extract it itself, it has to be specified by admin, which in turn means that admin has to check that pak file and extract that information, a quite tedious and lengthy process. Yet for a mapper to provide this info it's just another 30 seconds.

I think I got it now....maybe

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X