Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While all of this stuff was hell for me when I started running the HUB, I'm pretty quick at it now. I find it much more efficient to add / update a bunch of maps in bulk then to do them one by one. I think if mapmakers do what's suggested here, I'll still double check their work, which is the same as doing the work myself, so I might as well keep doing it. Especially since it is kind of complicated, I'm already experienced with it, and I don't want to have to add/update 8 maps and then take the time to troubleshoot if a mapmaker gave me the wrong .ini info for their map.

What would help is if everybody posted their most recent version in their Original Topic thread. I really have to dig to find updates! Most users do actually update in the topic thread of their post, but many do not. When combing for updates, I sometimes have to dig through several pages just to see if there is an update. Sometimes, the Original Topic will say that the most recent version is v.11 but post #34 reveals a v.12 with a new download link. Or, the Original Topic states that the latest version is .11 with a link, but upon clicking the link you are taken to v.12

... at any rate, sniffing out updates is what I dread the most. If you make it easy and keep post #1 updated, I'd have more time to update maps more often!

Oh, and please use version numbers to avoid conflicts and nav meshes so players can try your map with one bot while waiting for others to join.
    http://forbiddenparadise.us/forums/i...th-UT4-HUB.png
    forbiddenparadise.us

Comment

so an admin requested i give them an md5.
      i checked n checked my map. there is no md5 referenced. so i must generate a random md5 and give it to him? Whats the point. how will it know the map is the same... where is the md5 referenced?

Comment

Originally posted by Crocopede View Post
        so an admin requested i give them an md5.
        i checked n checked my map. there is no md5 referenced. so i must generate a random md5 and give it to him? Whats the point. how will it know the map is the same... where is the md5 referenced?
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

This is not an Unreal thing, this is a common file integrity check. The algorithm takes the map and using the data it produces a 32 digit hex string. But it's not random like you said, it will produce the exact same result each time using a given identical file. But if even a byte in the map file is changed it will affect the resulting string. This is the server's way of verifying that every player has the exact same map. http://www.winmd5.com/ can be used to generate an MD5 from your pak file.
        Last edited by tidu; 04-21-2016, 12:20 AM.
        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

ok cool thx. we are a bit confused because i released a new version and we updated the md5 but the players are not downloading the new file even though the md5 is now different

Comment

Working...
          X