Intentionally unlit maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intentionally unlit maps

I understand many of you will dislike this just from reading the title, but I was wondering if maps could take advantage of lighting and/or meshes that act a lot like camouflage.
    I personally can see a lot of problems for the second one, but would it work to intentionally abuse the light -> dark transition, with the player being unable to clearly make out what is inside a room/corridor/dark corner until they enter.

Obviously this would have no advantage for pure kill-only gamemodes, but it might be interesting for team gamemodes, and I can imagine invasion where monsters only attack you when they see you.

You can certainly make dark maps, but as the game works right now, bots do not take lighting into consideration, and will shoot you regardless of light level. Having dark areas does work on other players, though.

Comment

UT99 actually did have a whole genre of gameplay called darkmaps. You'd have to hunt down flashlights to use, and whoever had them was able to spot and kill enemies more easily. The rest had to go by sound and muzzle flashes, if I recall...

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I tried making a map like this last year, the map even had rotating lights so they would on and off randomly. No one seemed to enjoy it, everyone complained that it was too dark.
        PayBack

Comment

To help with such drastic changes from the normal formula, you'd have to make it extremely clear what your going for so there's no confusion, slap some text up when the map starts, give instructions, name the map accordingly etc - anything can work, but your going to have to help new players understand where the fun is.

Comment

It probably needs to be taken even a level further than that - have a gametype or mutator for just Dark Maps, or a hub just for wacky stuff - so it attracts players who are actually looking for it, rather than people who are expecting something resembling competitive play. One thing UT99 really had which this game currently lacks is a ton of custom content, and it advertised it in the server browser too. There could probably stand to be a whole section of the UI dedicated to wacky mods that people see as one of the squares in the main menu screen, with featured mods and instructions on how to either find or create such hubs/instances.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
            X