Ode to Rrajigar mine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Ode to Rrajigar mine

Have you played Unreal? The very first Unreal.

One of the concepts that was boiling in my head was an homage to my favorite map of that game: Rrajigar Mine. The underground complex blended with a mine that was very early in the game.
    You don't remember (or did not play Unreal?): Let me show you
    There's already a map for UT2k4 taking place in the mines, but it is much more focused on the mine parts. In my case, it would be the facility areas like the warehouses, command stations, etc.

The idea here would be a map (or two?) that would be based off some segment of this map, but not completely ripped off it. Something that someone who played Unreal would go "Oh, this reminds me of that X place".
    Of course, we're talking about the map layout, since the development just started, I don't really want to go into details about the visuals.

So far there's a friend and me over here in Montreal. He's in to help with the visual. I am more of a logical person than anything (AKA Level Design). Of course, anybody who would like to help is welcome too.

I am going to update this post with as much information as possible as the time goes by, so stay tune and hopefully there will be some awesome teamwork action going on!
    I already got some notes written down here and there that I will hopefully show soon.

Here's a little text document with ideas and stuff:Google Drive
    In the document, I've linked a video of a playthrough of Rrajigar mine, with timestamps of room that could be used to base the maps off. (Still WIP, gonna work on it tomorrow)

Cheers
    Last edited by FuncDetail; 05-18-2014, 02:51 PM.
    Current project: DM-MineArena (Codename)

Oh man you got me wanting to play Unreal1 again XD I'd really love to see more of the Unreal 1 world make somewhat of a return in UT4, I feel like the series has slowly geared away from the feeling that Unreal 1 had. I think it would also be very difficult to capture using newer visual styles

Comment

I was just thinking the other day that this is exactly what UT4 needs! Rrajigar Mine and Nyleve's Falls are my two absolute favorite maps in the original Unreal, as they set the tone for the entire game. While I hope UT4 offers lots of variety, I think it's really important that it revisits Na Pali, as that is the series roots. I'd love to see both of these maps re-interpreted for for the new UT. Are you planning to use some of the original music?

Comment

Originally posted by VampireJesus View Post
        Are you planning to use some of the original music?
        I don't think it will be possible, mainly due to copyright.
        The song should be something to see much later. It might be some fast paced music to fit with the nervous and close quarter nature of the map.

Only time will tell!

Comment

I absolutely love the music in that level. Like, I love it to the point that I play it through my car stereo 15 years later.
          also known as Humphro

Comment

Originally posted by Diode View Post
            I absolutely love the music in that level. Like, I love it to the point that I play it through my car stereo 15 years later.
            And you are not the only one. I have to blast the song at least once a week (or even everyday) when taking the subway to work!

Comment

Listening to this right now. It's the kind of music that made me feel nostalgic the very first time I heard it, and well, 15 years later? Yeah... . Ut99 had a lot of brilliant music, too, but Unreal's was the best of all. Maybe you can get something that at least has a similar vibe. Also note that Alexander Brandon, who composed the original music for this level has indicated an interest in working on the new UT, so maybe, just maybe... . https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ll=1#post32394

I could totally see just the mines getting 3 levels, one for each song in the original! And hey, with UT3's over-use of themes, why not? We could have an entire Unreal Suite!

Comment

Listening to this right now. It's the kind of music that made me feel nostalgic the very first time I heard it, and well, 15 years later? Yeah... . Ut99 had a lot of brilliant music, too, but Unreal's was the best of all. Maybe you can get something that at least has a similar vibe. Also note that Alexander Brandon, who composed the original music for this level has indicated an interest in working on the new UT, so maybe, just maybe... . https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ll=1#post32394

I could totally see just the mines getting 3 levels, one for each song in the original! And hey, with UT3's over-use of themes, why not? We could have an entire Unreal Suite!
                Thanks for the links! I'll totally look into everything as soon as possible.
                Despite having a few interested people over in Montreal, more is always welcome! Getting a few people to make a group project around Rrajigar's mine would be awesome not only for the sake of notalgia but also for the overall morale. Teamwork is great!

Comment

Nylevel's Falls, incredible. Amazing music, bring back this style of music and less of the closed off ceiling maps. That was necessary once, no longer.

The nostalgia is strong. Next gen gaming, incredible music, an open vista, animated water, boxes that move when you push them?! This river even has a current. Next. Level. Stuff.
                  __
                  Sr. Product Manager @ PopCap (EA)
                  aka danimal for my oldschool Unreal peeps

Comment

I will never forget the feeling it evoked the first time I played NyLeve's Falls. That is the reason I love Unreal. The whole game was amazing, and UT was amazing, but that first impression imprinted itself on my mind in a way that no scene in any other game has ever done.

I always thought the canyon in NyLeve should continue on either side of the map. Imagine what a skilled mapper could do with this map in UE4. A skilled mapper I am not, however.

Comment

I will never forget the feeling it evoked the first time I played NyLeve's Falls. That is the reason I love Unreal. The whole game was amazing, and UT was amazing, but that first impression imprinted itself on my mind in a way that no scene in any other game has ever done.

I always thought the canyon in NyLeve should continue on either side of the map. Imagine what a skilled mapper could do with this map in UE4. A skilled mapper I am not, however.
                      I won't hide that outdoor environments is also something that I have to improve. That could be an interesting thing to add... like an outdoor center or something like that. Sadly chances are that it won't be made by me. ^^;

Comment

Well, the most iconic part of the Rrajigar Mines itself is definitely the "lights out" sequence. Though how to make that work in a Tournament setting is quite a challenge...
                        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Looking forward to see how this evolves FuncDetail!

Regarding the lights out sequence in a Tournament - Put it on a timer so parts of the map go from nicely lit to black then back on again later.
                          It'd add a very interesting element to gameplay!
                          Unreal Old Friends
                          My previous Unreal work

Comment

Put a Redeemer in the map.
                            Put Tarydium crystals in the map as subtle blue light sources so it's not pitch black without lights.

Put a volume in the map covering it all, make the volume check for Redeemer damage of no matter what strenght, make the light go out for 10-15 seconds together with a tiny earthquake to show that the mine is instable after the Redeemer explosion such as disabling a U1-style green forcefield separating a special room of the map that is responsible for U damage or some other nice pickup like a big keg - this should be turned on after those 10-15 seconds as well and should you get trapped in it, have it work like the pressure chamber or some other nasty trap.

If you don't want to do this, I'd be happy to realize this in UE4 for UT, hehehe - you know, the "the more, the merrier" principle. But I'm still messing around with the new editor to become familiar with the changes that were introduced right now though I'm eager to start with a map very soon.
                            Last edited by Sly.; 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM.
                            S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                              Put a Redeemer in the map.
                              Put Tarydium crystals in the map as subtle blue light sources so it's not pitch black without lights.

Put a volume in the map covering it all, make the volume check for Redeemer damage of no matter what strenght, make the light go out for 10-15 seconds together with a tiny earthquake to show that the mine is instable after the Redeemer explosion such as disabling a U1-style green forcefield separating a special room of the map that is responsible for U damage or some other nice pickup like a big keg - this should be turned on after those 10-15 seconds as well and should you get trapped in it, have it work like the pressure chamber or some other nasty trap.

If you don't want to do this, I'd be happy to realize this in UE4 for UT, hehehe - you know, the "the more, the merrier" principle. But I'm still messing around with the new editor to become familiar with the changes that were introduced right now though I'm eager to start with a map very soon.
                              That would be lights out, but not a lights out sequence The most terrifying thing is to see the lights go out one by one until it's almost pitch black, and then red warning lights appear.

But that could totally relate to picking up a Redeemer. As in, you can't do anything after taking it for a short bit and everyone sees that you just took it and can prepare. Though maybe a Redeemer by itself wouldn't be enough, it would have to be both it and a Shieldbelt to be worth going in there...
                              Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                              My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Working...
                              X