Mutable levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mutable levels?

I think we should also look at having mutable maps, not as in mutator (although that's kinda a cool idea). but what about a map which re-configures it's own layout every game?

Or having changes that players can inflict on the level itself? I keep getting this image of a taller version of deck 16, where the cross-platforms in the central arena are held up by huge statues. Someone lets off a huge explosion that tears parts of the statues away, these bits rain merry death down onto people on the lower levels. Imaging shooting at a PC and missing but hitting the right arm of a statue and having part of it fracture and drop off and kill someone? Narrator: Accidental KILL!

i think the main problem with mutable maps in UT is that, in a simply DM the first thing all players are going to do is destroy all de mutable zones, because of the high quantity of weapons we can have at the same time.

So imo i think is preferible some classic UT enviroments. To mutate the map i have BF4 for example, and i prefer have a secure cover zone xD.

But this is my opinion, so, if this going ahead, your idea is nice. The trick is to made the map playable in all of its mutations
    unrealer since 1998

Comment

Just turn the volume off.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
        Just turn the volume off.

Easy fix.

Comment

map design which moves the pieces of its terrain - yes, sure.

destructible terrain - no, thanks.

trigger-able trap areas of the level - maybe, though i'd rather use a weapon to make an indirect kill, like the Ion Painter, or a vehicle than shoot something which causes people to die if they're in a particular place.

Comment

I like the idea of a map being a little different every time you play..

In one of my UT3 maps, I had an extensive dynamic weather system which randomized at the start of the match and then evolved from there during the game.
            When you start a match, it could be day, dusk, night or dawn. It might also be clear, cloudy, rainy, stormy or a full thunder storm with lightening . Also foggy sometimes (in the morning or after a storm has passed). Over time these slowly changed, so by the end of the match it could be totally different too.

I'm also looking at the idea of my HyperBlast remake having a 'Crashed on an alien planet' version as well as the one flying through space like the original. When you start the match, you might find yourself in either one. Could be more scenarios as well..

Comment

I love this idea. I understand the importance of consistent maps that clans can learn and all that, but mutable levels doesn't mean every level is going to be this way, and it offers something new to the game.

Comment

I kinda did bring this in another thread, let me quote it:

Originally posted by Tycerax View Post
                Dynamic arenas?

With dynamic arena I don't mean "destructible arenas"; I mean that, while playing something happens and changes the terrain. For example, let's say the arena is located near a volcano and a river. Sometime later volcano erupts and lava flows into the arenas certain points and follows a certain path. When lava comes, players will be unable to traverse certain paths but at the same time, there will be new paths because when lava gets to the river, there will be another layout in the same game/map. With this, it'll be like playing a new map without leaving one. Maps with multiple "instances" may be selected individually (like Arena1, Arena2...)

Of course, this can be turned off/on as individual settings.
                I think it is a good idea to mutate the levels in one way or another. (:
                Last edited by Tycerax; 11-10-2014, 08:55 AM.
                Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

I had that idea for "random" destination teleporter.

Yes its random in quotes, because my idea was to split whole dm map into tiny 1vs1 arenas, each would have some ammo and 1 weapon or pickup.
                  Then depending on player ranking and current weapon it either would help some bottom feeder to get good weapon or screw leading one with not giving him more ammo to preferred weapon. Well maybe not absolute help and denial, but some random chance, help a bit losing player, make winning run a bit more.

But this never worked because bots in UT3 could not handle dynamically changed navigation nodes. Well they could not handle closed door that had trigger somewhere else either. But now with blueprints and smarter AI this is possible. Or maybe even CUBE map with moving cubes.

Comment

The two main issues that pop up with changing/random layout generation are (a) technical limitations (perf. impacts) and (b) audience.

Generally speaking, maps with unpredictable layouts (or aspects that change) are as well not received because the randomness means "control is taken away from the player" and the game is just _that_ much more based on randomness instead of player skill / experience. In a traditional DM game, knowing the map is essential for zone control, predicting enemy movement, using the geometry, and overall strategy.

Leaving that to chance has both positive and negative impacts, based on your point of view!
                    Jim Brown
                    @EntropicDev
                    Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                      The two main issues that pop up with changing/random layout generation are (a) technical limitations (perf. impacts) and (b) audience.

Generally speaking, maps with unpredictable layouts (or aspects that change) are as well not received because the randomness means "control is taken away from the player" and the game is just _that_ much more based on randomness instead of player skill / experience. In a traditional DM game, knowing the map is essential for zone control, predicting enemy movement, using the geometry, and overall strategy.

Leaving that to chance has both positive and negative impacts, based on your point of view!
                      But what about when it's done at a certain time, effects certain places and allows the player to know these changes beforehand (with visual indicators and enough time to get away)? It shouldn't be random because who likes random things in skill based shooters but think about Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. There were 2 timelines you can traverse and both are similar yet they have differences enough to let you know, feel that it has new areas that you can reach that you couldn't. In UT, we will be using natural happenings (like volcano eruption, earthquake, meteor strike) as well as ion cannon strikes, spacecraft crash, etc.

And of course, all of this must be optional, not mandatory.
                      Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                        and (b) audience
                        What if we could categorically seperate these special dynamic levels from static ones?

I believe from a code standpoint it is entirely possible, despite being difficult.

Where the metadata for the map is shown in the map selection menu to the player, we could have a field that merely says "Static" or "Dynamic".

Thus giving the choice to the player.

Or even better, we could make a mutator for maps that adds dynamic changes. So each map that is meant to be dynamic, would have a "static" version but could be mutated into a dynamic map via a mutator.

Comment

I'm thinking of making a CTF map with a dynamic aspect.. (which is totally predictable)

My initial idea is that there are 3 major routes between the bases, but only 1 is accessible at a time. In a 20 minute match, each path would be open for 5 minutes for example.
                          In the remaining 5 minutes, all 3 paths would open up. Also, maybe something in the middle opens up which allows access to the redeemer

I'm thinking that certain weapons or power-ups might only be found in each of the routes (and others near the bases are always available)

Each major route might be more than just a single path too, they might each have 2 or 3 ways to go as well just like a usual CTF map

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                            I'm thinking of making a CTF map with a dynamic aspect.. (which is totally predictable)

My initial idea is that there are 3 major routes between the bases, but only 1 is accessible at a time. In a 20 minute match, each path would be open for 5 minutes for example.
                            In the remaining 5 minutes, all 3 paths would open up. Also, maybe something in the middle opens up which allows access to the redeemer

I'm thinking that certain weapons or power-ups might only be found in each of the routes (and others near the bases are always available)

Each major route might be more than just a single path too, they might each have 2 or 3 ways to go as well just like a usual CTF map

I like the way this sounds. Semi-dynamics maps were made before where different areas open at different times. I recall some being made for UT2004. Never had an issue with them.

Comment

It remind me the map in Domination in UT3 ... Eeeeeh DOM - Enslaved ?
                              When the red point goes to blue, the map turned into a necris environment with the nanoblacks pipe (I don't know how I can say that in english ^^)

(At 0:22)

Comment

Working...
                              X