Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we use lightning channels to create a "character only light"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can we use lightning channels to create a "character only light"?

I read this in the patch notes "Moved characters to lighting channel 1 so we can put character only lights in maps."
    https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Version_Notes_2016_3_31

It sounds like there is a way now to create a light that only affects player models and not the enviroment. I have tried to find documentation on how to do this but can not find it, anyone have any tips? Is it something that has to be done in blueprints?

Inside the light properties (have to open the advanced tab, the little down arrow) you should see Light Channels, the light must be stationary or moveable to be able to change the channel, channel 0 is environment and players, channel 1 is just players, and channel 2 is just environment, I would advise limiting the amount of stationary (player only) lights to a minimum, for example in dark corners, since they have additional render cost, you can also disable dynamic shadows if you want to improve rendering speed.
    Last edited by Chris.Kay; 04-01-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

So we finally have UE1's backdrop lights? That's a great news!

Thx Fjaru for the thread.
      Thx Chris for the reply.
      @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

I asked the same question over HERE. Will be interesting to see how well this works.
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC] Chris.Kay View Post
          you can also disable dynamic shadows if you want to improve rendering speed.
          I can attest to the fact that this can have an enormous effect on performance. I removed dynamic shadows from the modulating stationary lights in SpaceNoxx and the frame rate went up 10-15 fps in most places on the map.
          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Working...
          X