Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Games & Mapcore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest

Hello everybody,

My name is Johnny van Spronsen, aka Sprony. I'm a Site Manager of Mapcore. We're currently hosting a UT Level Design contest in collaboration with Epic. I'm posting this in case you missed the announcements on social media.

Direct link to the contest can be found here. The contest forum is located here. Here's a copy of paste of what it's all about:

Epic and Mapcore are teaming up! In an effort to push the custom content scene forward, we are hosting a Level Design contest for Unreal Tournament. We challenge you to create a new level for the “Team Showdown” game mode.

Phase 1 - ­Design (1 Month)

Design a level for the new “Team Showdown” Mode in Unreal Tournament 4.
    Focus on level flow, theme, weapon and spawn placements that compliments “Team Showdown”.

Contestants need to submit their designs before the May 2nd deadline on Mapcore’s contest forum.

Phase 2 - Art and Polish (2 Months)

Use official art (Liandri, Castle, Chill and Snow Fortress assets) or your own.
    Mesh and light the level.
    Do a collision/blocking volume pass.
    The level must be functional.
    The level must run at a reasonable framerate (dm­outpost23 is a good reference).

Contestants need to submit their designs before the July 4th deadline on Mapcore’s contest forum. Download links will be sent to Epic, who will judge all entries. Epic will also host a community playtest event of the final submissions.

Rules

Small teams are allowed, for example, an artist and a designer.
    Custom art is allowed, but use of official art is completely fine.
    You can start art passing whenever you're ready. You don’t have to wait for the second phase.
    You have to be willing to have your level tested and played in Unreal Tournament.
    Must be designed for “Team Showdown” but that doesn't mean it won’t work for Deathmatch.

Disclaimer

Prizes will be sent to the individuals who post the submissions. We are not responsible for how teams wish to submit and divide their prizes.

Judging and Prizes

The entire UT team will vote for their favorite submissions and the results will be shared on Unreal Tournament's Twitch channel.

First Place ($1650) + Swag
    Second Place ($850) + Swag
    Third Place ($500) + Swag
    Fourth Place ­ Honorary Mention (Swag)
    Fifth Place ­ Honorary Mention (Swag)

Depending on the quality of entries, and work required to take the levels to release quality, Epic will evaluate the possibility of adding winning entries into the Marketplace or the game. Epic will work directly with the designers on any issues that need resolving (similar to dm­lea and ctf­pistola).

Good Luck!

I hope to see you guys join the fun
    Attached Files

Hi [MENTION=18041]SpronyvanJohnson[/MENTION]

Thx for the contest. I hope to join the party too, though I'm gonna be a bit late ;D

Cheers!
    @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

Sounds fun.

Good luck everyone.
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

I wanna join in, but not sure I have the time.
        Win 10
        iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
        3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
        32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
        DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
        2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Only 2 weeks left for the end of phase 1. Step it up people Also, hi back insomnaut.

Comment

Anyone have time to give me some feedback on my map?

Comment

Do maps have to be completed or can it be shells?
              Im almost ready to submit for may deadline. But its just shell. Working on flow of map.

And truthfully i designed the map for dool's but can amend for team showdown.

Comment

Please see the rules and guides on the links above for all your questions. Also:

Phase 1 of thecontest ends tomorrow 21:00 GMT+1. Be sure to submit your map here:

https://www.mapcore.org/topic/20021-...1-submissions/

Comment

I need a dev response to this, or an invigilator/go-between of sorts to look at this>

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkc1hweebk...wdown.pdf?dl=0

This is the link to the document listed here: http://www.mapcore.org/topic/20023-e...n-contest-faq/

And covers a lot of information relevant to building the maps.

My specific question relates to lighting and rendering; IF we do not follow the settings listed in the section "Visual", will the submission be voided/dismissed on this basis?

No one in the chat rooms is talking about this, and no one appears to outright know the definitive answer.

Do mappers have to follow these restrictions absolutely? Are these guidelines? Are these settings mandatory, or advisory?

I would hate for any map to be dismissed for not using these settings, and certainly would not want to have a situation where an entire map needs reworking for lighting and misses a deadline because the lighting was way way way off for the map.

And there is no mention of 'fog' in this document, or whether ambient cubemaps are allowed. The only reference I can find is that 'fog sheets' should not have collision, which is fine, but nothing about atmospheric fog.

Thanking y'all in advance.
                  Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

I'm pretty sure the checklist is a copy of the epic internal one, or at least very similar. Several of their maps don't use those settings (Biotower for instance). They're likely generally advised ranges rather than a limit aimed at giving the game a more unified feel. In any case how will anyone know that your Screen Space Reflections max roughness is 0.4 or that your Global Illumination Indirect Lighting Intensity is 1.8 since you'll be providing a cooked map? *shrugs*

I'd use these settings unless you have a specific reason not to, but in general I don't think you'll be disqualified for not being 100% accurate to that list.

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
                      I'm pretty sure the checklist is a copy of the epic internal one, or at least very similar. Several of their maps don't use those settings (Biotower for instance). They're likely generally advised ranges rather than a limit aimed at giving the game a more unified feel. In any case how will anyone know that your Screen Space Reflections max roughness is 0.4 or that your Global Illumination Indirect Lighting Intensity is 1.8 since you'll be providing a cooked map? *shrugs*

I'd use these settings unless you have a specific reason not to, but in general I don't think you'll be disqualified for not being 100% accurate to that list.
                      Oh, I don't disagree with you, but there is not an 'official' (or is this document 'official'?).

My understanding is the final umap/package will be given to Epic ét all for inclusion in the base package for the public, so yeah, it's hard to know if, when they get the file and say 'What??? they set GI to 2.3??!!?? This is no good!' and chuck it in the round filing cabinet next to their desk. You know what developers are like...
                      Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Try to follow the guidelines, but making small adjustments here and there for specific cases is fine, if the levels ever gets to the point where we might consider it for the game/marketplace, we will review them closely and make adjustments for consistency. Every level we make here goes through this technical process at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC] Chris.Kay View Post
                          Try to follow the guidelines, but making small adjustments here and there for specific cases is fine, if the levels ever gets to the point where we might consider it for the game/marketplace, we will review them closely and make adjustments for consistency. Every level we make here goes through this technical process at some point.
                          Thanks for the reply, Chris - but I would really need clarification, because:

Originally posted by document

Except for gameplay specific effects all settings should be left default unless mentioned below.

White Balance: Temp +/-1000; Tint +/- 0.1

SceneColor: Vignette Intensity 0 - 0.4

Bloom: DirtMask however applicable

ScreenSpaceReflections: MaxRoughness 0.6 - 0.8

AmbientOcclusion: Intensity 0 - 1.0, Radius can be tweaked for look but 99% of the time 200 works, RadiusInWorldSpace true/false based on desired look

AutoExposure: Min/Max Brightness 1.0, Exposure Bias 0 - 2.0

GlobalIllumination: IndirectLightingIntensity 1.0 - 1.5

So, reading that first line says to me, that we cannot change anything unless specifically listed below that line. You are saying these are not madatory, and we can make any changes "...for specific cases...' - so what are the specific cases when are allowed to make small adjustments? And, are these small adjustments to the adjustments listed in the document, or, other settings contained within the realms of any setting which could affect 'visual'?

What about Ambient Cubemaps? What about SkyLights? Are we limited by the quantity of post processing volumes?

And then there are meshes - as the community is allowed to use the assets provided for (as an example) Titan pass, are mappers allowed to use the lighting settings and post processing volumes used in these maps? Because, surely that is the path of least resistance?

In other words, if it's okay for Epic to use a series of settings, surely it is okay for the community to use the same settings, if they are using the same assets?

Big questions, and sorry for the wall 'o' text on this, but it's really important as there is a conflict between instruction and intention.

Thanks again.
                          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

I would say do whatever you think it is best for your level. I think Epic is just trying to advise us not to touch any advanced setting, but you won't be disqualified for tweaking something if it makes sense in your level and you're doing it on purpose.

As for copying light settings from another official level... well, I copied some light and postprocess settings from TitanPass to my map... and they looked quite awful, even when I'm using the same assets. They may be a good starting point, but you will most likely have to tweak them to your liking for the best results...
                            DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
                            My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
                            My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
                              I would say do whatever you think it is best for your level. I think Epic is just trying to advise us not to touch any advanced setting, but you won't be disqualified for tweaking something if it makes sense in your level and you're doing it on purpose.

As for copying light settings from another official level... well, I copied some light and postprocess settings from TitanPass to my map... and they looked quite awful, even when I'm using the same assets. They may be a good starting point, but you will most likely have to tweak them to your liking for the best results...
                              I appreciate your points and partially agree with you, but there is nothing definitive in what Epic are saying other than the wording of that document. So I am left with the original issue: no one knows what to do because no one is telling them.

Make changes beyond that document: potentially be disqualified.
                              Don't make changes beyond that document: level is lit with hundreds of adjusted spot, point and directional lights designed around the document settings, unnecessarily.

Lighting is incredibly important to a map. The slightest change to any one of a thousand settings can alter the perception of the player, tone, ambience, feel, objective, movement, speed and of course; winning or losing. I take this topic very very seriously, and am being deliberately and knowingly pedantic for this and many other reasons.
                              Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X