No announcement yet.

Epic Games & Mapcore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow man, you seem to see problems where others would never expect there are any

Those are guidelines for consistency of aesthetics. They've been put to help and assist, not to make rules. You may take them or ignore them. Your choice. As long as your map is superb, no one will care. Provide a quality map with potential first, and Epic may help you with final touches if it's good enough. They've done that to Lea and Pistola, and you know it

Really, no drama needed, no one's get disqualified.
    @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
      Don't make changes beyond that document: level is lit with hundreds of adjusted spot, point and directional lights designed around the document settings, unnecessarily.
      Lighting is incredibly important to a map. The slightest change to any one of a thousand settings can alter the perception of the player, tone, ambience, feel, objective, movement, speed and of course; winning or losing. I take this topic very very seriously, and am being deliberately and knowingly pedantic for this and many other reasons.
      I wouldn't suggest relying on postprocess and advanced settings to create good lighting in your map. Those settings affect the level as a whole so you won't have interesting lighting with contrast and shadows. Plus, postprocess can be turned off IIRC, which may also leave a bad-looking level for those who play on low settings. It can be good for finishing touches, but I think you shouldn't stop lighting your level the good old way...
      Last edited by TheGlecter; 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM.
      DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
      My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
      My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Originally posted by insomnaut View Post
        Wow man, you seem to see problems where others would never expect there are any

Those are guidelines for consistency of aesthetics. They've been put to help and assist, not to make rules. You may take them or ignore them. Your choice. As long as your map is superb, no one will care. Provide a quality map with potential first, and Epic may help you with final touches if it's good enough. They've done that to Lea and Pistola, and you know it

Really, no drama needed, no one's get disqualified.
        I didn't see any problem until I read that document. Again, they are written as rules, not guidelines!

Probably the German in me, but I will follow process and do as that document says unless someone will either correct that document, or clearly state otherwise.

Originally posted by insomnaut View Post
        Your choice
        Let's see someone submit a 100% lit map with no ambient occlusion using 255, 255, 255 and we'll see how strong that advice stands up.

It's an old adage, but someone cannot be wrong if they follow the rules. If mistakes are made, it is not the person who is at fault, but the rules.
        Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Mitch, you asked for advice, people are trying to help. Don't be a jerk about it please. You keep being quite rude to those just trying to help. If this continues I may have to do something and I'd rather not.

If you are not happy deviating from that list then I advise you to stick to it.

Comment

Nobody will be disqualified for deviating from the suggested Post settings in that doc. Like NATO and Chris mention above, those are meant to be good practice, not gospel, and aim to help achieve an overall cohesiveness between maps.

Comment

Working...
            X