Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT99 maps.

Hello,

I just found out about this 2016 version of UT and I am just getting back into it after my grandfather dug it up for me on CD ROM. I literally have zero insight on anything of this game only gameplay.

I am interested in one thing... Has anyone ported the original UT99 maps back into this new version? Is it possible? I would be so hyped if so...

Sorry if the answer to this is in plain sight but I really have no idea what any of this forum is yet.

Thanks~

There are quite a few remakes and conversions out.

These ones are Remakes (all made by the same mapper), you can also find these maps on Community HUBs:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing

UT99 CTF-Maps can be found on Community HUBs too.
    Last edited by barsam2a; 05-30-2016, 07:51 PM.
    WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
    Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

Personally I am against remakes, this is a new game, it deserves new maps.
      PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
        Personally I am against remakes, this is a new game, it deserves new maps.
        What about Dust, Dust_2, Nuke, Aztec, Train?

There is an argument, and a very convincing one that: level design is not age dependant. I could go further and farther by citing Superman, but that's a stretch into the 1970's. I would say that Superman is kinda interesting and relevant to your point, as it deals with transference from one media (Print) into another (Film) with success.

Unreal Tournament, in a way, is trying to succeed by transferring from one generation to the next, and just as good versus evil holds true no matter what the medium it is expressed in, Unreal Tournament is trying to transfer to a very different 'current-gen' culture of gaming and good level design is still good no matter what the hardware is.

Put all that jazz on mute, and you still got level design as a rented stage. As such, there is nothing wrong with dusting off the old music sheets, blowing the dust off, and playing the old tunes. You might not raise the roof, but you'll still raise a few eye-brows.

Some people haven't even heard the old songs and if you haven't heard them, they are new songs. The instruments might be different, but who cares when the rhythm is there.

Tap your feet.
        Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
          What about Dust, Dust_2, Nuke, Aztec, Train?

There is an argument, and a very convincing one that: level design is not age dependant. I could go further and farther by citing Superman, but that's a stretch into the 1970's. I would say that Superman is kinda interesting and relevant to your point, as it deals with transference from one media (Print) into another (Film) with success.

Unreal Tournament, in a way, is trying to succeed by transferring from one generation to the next, and just as good versus evil holds true no matter what the medium it is expressed in, Unreal Tournament is trying to transfer to a very different 'current-gen' culture of gaming and good level design is still good no matter what the hardware is.

Put all that jazz on mute, and you still got level design as a rented stage. As such, there is nothing wrong with dusting off the old music sheets, blowing the dust off, and playing the old tunes. You might not raise the roof, but you'll still raise a few eye-brows.

Some people haven't even heard the old songs and if you haven't heard them, they are new songs. The instruments might be different, but who cares when the rhythm is there.

Tap your feet.
          Older maps were designed for games with very different movement style and game mechanics. You are right though, no reason we cant adapt an old map to the UT4 game, thats not the problem though. The problem is the reason people dont play past UTs like they used to is one simple reason, they are bored of it. Sure I can do a remake of a fun old map, but ive already mastered that map. I know all the trick jumps, I know all the routes. It will be fun for a few games, but then I will quickly get bored of it. UT4 will get stale very quickly if all everyone wants to play are UT99 remakes. The other problem is the vast majority of people making maps here dont have the time or skill to make the UT99 maps into what is an acceptable UT4 map. Sure its super easy to BSP, add some lights, weapons and health to a map and say look at my UT99 remake. But then what happens when that new generation of gamers tries the map out and notices how ****ty it looks compared to TitanPass/Chill/Outpost? You already see it all over reddit and other places, new gamers wondering why so many ****ty maps are in the game.

To use your analogy, the Model T was a great car, its a ****ty car by todays standards. You want to transfer UT from one generation to the next, well that doesnt happen unless you make something new. The next generation doesnt want the last generations recycled favorites, they want their own new favorites, with better technology, better details, better movement. Im sorry but remakes do nothing but bring UT4 down. Spend the time and build a quality new map so that instead of UT4 being filled with old dead maps its filled with new and exciting maps.
          PayBack

Comment

Older maps were designed for games with very different movement style and game mechanics. You are right though, no reason we cant adapt an old map to the UT4 game, thats not the problem though. The problem is the reason people dont play past UTs like they used to is one simple reason, they are bored of it. Sure I can do a remake of a fun old map, but ive already mastered that map. I know all the trick jumps, I know all the routes. It will be fun for a few games, but then I will quickly get bored of it. UT4 will get stale very quickly if all everyone wants to play are UT99 remakes. The other problem is the vast majority of people making maps here dont have the time or skill to make the UT99 maps into what is an acceptable UT4 map. Sure its super easy to BSP, add some lights, weapons and health to a map and say look at my UT99 remake. But then what happens when that new generation of gamers tries the map out and notices how ****ty it looks compared to TitanPass/Chill/Outpost? You already see it all over reddit and other places, new gamers wondering why so many ****ty maps are in the game.

To use your analogy, the Model T was a great car, its a ****ty car by todays standards. You want to transfer UT from one generation to the next, well that doesnt happen unless you make something new. The next generation doesnt want the last generations recycled favorites, they want their own new favorites, with better technology, better details, better movement. Im sorry but remakes do nothing but bring UT4 down. Spend the time and build a quality new map so that instead of UT4 being filled with old dead maps its filled with new and exciting maps.
            It's an interesting point, but it hinges on pre-supposing what gamers want.

In general Zod terms, gamers who make a decision to play an area-style FPS are gonna be using minimal graphical fidelity to maximise speed and simply could not care what the game looks like, mealy that it plays super-fast. This is where good level design pwns, and always will.

With a gazillion DM maps out there, what does a few maps with the previous titles really matter to anyone? Besides, there are those of us who see this game as a hobby for creation and learning, myself included and I see no reason for this to change. I have spent more time building maps than actually playing the game.
            Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 05-31-2016, 06:15 PM. Reason: grammar
            Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
              It's an interesting point, but it hinges on pre-supposing what gamers want.

In general Zod terms, gamers who make a decision to play an area-style FPS are gonna be using minimal graphical fidelity to maximise speed and simply could not care what the game looks like, mealy that it plays super-fast. This is where good level design pwns, and always will.

With a gazillion DM maps out there, what does a few maps with the previous titles really matter to anyone? Besides, there are those of us who see this game as a hobby for creation and learning, myself included and I see no reason for this to change. I have spent more time building maps than actually playing the game.
              UT99 was a graphical master piece when it first came out. I was blown away with the graphics in the game and thats what got me interested in the game. Sure competitive players will turn down graphics to nothing, but competitive players are a very small portion of the gaming base. If all arena fps players wanted was low graphics, high fps and the same old maps, UT99 would still be a popular game in the arena fps genre.

If we want to see this game grow, the mapping community who has been the back bone of nearly every UTs longevity need to make sure we are producing new and exciting maps.
              PayBack

Comment

UT99 was a graphical master piece when it first came out. I was blown away with the graphics in the game and thats what got me interested in the game. Sure competitive players will turn down graphics to nothing, but competitive players are a very small portion of the gaming base. If all arena fps players wanted was low graphics, high fps and the same old maps, UT99 would still be a popular game in the arena fps genre.

If we want to see this game grow, the mapping community who has been the back bone of nearly every UTs longevity need to make sure we are producing new and exciting maps.
                It doesn't have to be one or the other though. There are enough people to both recreate old maps as well as to imagine up completely new ones.
                ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
                CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
                , Twitch

Comment

You can't control or dictate what people decide to do with their computers on their time.

Good design is good design, and since the EULA allows it, so it shall be so.

Creative endeavours needs support and encouragement, or the only games will be FIFA 20XX and COD MVMCXIIVCX (2120), running on the XStation 6586, 98K - where to win a game, all you have to do is yell 'win' at the voice control as many times as possible, before the Pizza delivery man comes to shovel reconstituted pig slop into your gullet.
                  Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                  X